Making sure I understand Kansas Draw odds

Krolly

FNG
Looks like in 2023 all Kansas whitetail NR permits were issued to first choice applicants in every unit. Meaning more people applied as a first choice in every unit then there were permits.

Also 1 point guarantees a permit in most units?

My son has 2 points so I think he’s good anyway?

Let me know if I’m missing something. Thanks!

Rich M

WKR
Guy I know has a lease deal in KS. They get tags every 3 yrs - not sure if it takes 3 yrs to draw his unit, or if it is just easier on the planning aspect.

Your son should be good - what's your point level or you just taking him?

WKR
Daughter and I have 1 each. Hoping we are good. Hunting in western KS.

OP
K

Krolly

FNG
We’re hunting my buddys cattle ranch in SE Kansas. I’ve taken my my oldest son for archery two seasons ago. He drew with 0 points but no one else in my family did. My middle son drew rifle last year with 1 point. Both killed nice deer. My buddy’s son killed his first deer when we were there. I enjoy taking him. I’m like his uncle.

My youngest put in this year for archery with 2 points. I have 2 also but just putting in for another point, figuring on just taking him. Might hunt myself there sometime but for now hoping my last kiddo gets a Kansas buck and don’t want to wear out our welcome.52171F12-CC8E-42A3-95B6-C96F71447FB7.png6B44CC78-4EEB-4507-9593-875E1A7C6A2E.jpeg323B8D11-EA76-465B-8713-EA6FEC6D5D16.jpeg

nn76858

FNG
Been hunting western ks for a decade. One point will guarantee most any unit and 2 is a shoe in. In 10 years I've never drawn a 2nd choice nor have I ever known anyone else to. You either draw your 1st pick or don't. That being said as you apply your apply for 2 units that touch one another and when you draw you can hunt both meaning your target unit can be obtained by drawing any unit that touches it. Without diving too deep you can look for best odds.

Been hunting western ks for a decade. One point will guarantee most any unit and 2 is a shoe in. In 10 years I've never drawn a 2nd choice nor have I ever known anyone else to. You either draw your 1st pick or don't. That being said as you apply your apply for 2 units that touch one another and when you draw you can hunt both meaning your target unit can be obtained by drawing any unit that touches it. Without diving too deep you can look for best odds.

you can hunt the adjacent zones to the one you draw? this is news to me.

OP
K

Krolly

FNG
nn76858 thanks. On point with what I was trying to confirm.

I was aware of the adjacent unit rules. You can’t hunt all adjacent units. You have to designate which one you want to draw and which adjacent one you want to add. You can only hunt two.

CMF

WKR
It looks like 1 point will draw any unit. We drew four archery tags in 2022 with zero points, 2 adult and 2 youth. The odds were 70% the year before, but show 30% for 2022 so I'm not sure how we all four drew as individual apps. I was only expecting to draw 2 or 3 tags to have while I worked there.
Looking forward to hunting there again in 2025 since we had to leave early unexpectedly in 22'. I went ahead and picked us up points this year so we'll be guaranteed next year.