Manners eh1 vs Mesa precision altitude

Thinking about getting one of these for a lightweight hunting rifle. Big horn origin and 20” proof sendero in 6.5 creed. I need the highest comb possible and just wondering which one people are liking more. I know the altitude is a bit lighter but just looking for someone with hands on of both as I cannot hold them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be able to call them and get measurements (if not posted on their websites? I haven’t ever looked), and have not had an altitude, but do have a EH1. If I recall the reason I never tried an altitude was because of the lower comb/cheek rest.

The EH1 was a big improvement on my 6.5CM and I had a 50mm scope in Hawkins hybrids on it and was able to get a good cheek rest just fine. Just to give you an idea, not sure what scope/ring combo you’re looking at.

Also, another option to consider would be a chassis. I actually have my EH1 for sale because I got an XLR chassis and have enjoyed the versatility it provides and being able to swap in and out my barreled actions with the same action footprints. Just something to think about on your build.

Per manners website the EH1 drop at comb is 0.35” and the MCST is 0.38”.

The MPA altitude is almost an exact replica of the MCST except instead of the notched comb for the bolt to come back they just completely removed that small part of the comb.

If you’re worried about comb height go with the EH1 and get the lightweight cheek riser which gives you adjustable height but light weight.

OP
S
I really wish I knew someone with either of them, not many people get into the custom rifles around my area. I do have a McMillan game hunter now that I like but don’t love. I have a krg bravo also and I absolutely love the feel of that. I really wish they would shave a pound off of that and I would look no further!

I really wish I knew someone with either of them, not many people get into the custom rifles around my area. I do have a McMillan game hunter now that I like but don’t love. I have a krg bravo also and I absolutely love the feel of that. I really wish they would shave a pound off of that and I would look no further!

I've had both and for a hunting rifle I couldn't stand the blockyness of the EH1.
I have big hands but the palm swell still felt big, and it left my knuckles so close to the trigger guard that it'd smack them under recoil.
The Altitude was pretty nice but it definitely could be improved by raising the but.
I also use a Game Hunter and I like it the most.

I’ve had both as well. Hands down I prefer the Mesa. I’ve never had a Manners come close to advertised weight, always substantially heavier. On the other hand, the majority of my Mesa’s have been under advertised weight. I definitely prefer the ergonomics of the Mesa as well. I’ve replaced all my Manners and McMillan stocks with Mesa’s.

Lawnboi

WKR
Why not an eh1 with their ultra lite cheek piece. I’d throw in a bdl mini chassis just to not have to send me he gun out to be built.

The drop in heel of the Mesa makes it a no go for me. I want the recoil pad to be as close to bore as reasonably possible to manage recoil better. I've had three EH-1s, a couple EH-2's, T4A, McMIllan, KRG, and I've used B&C & Magpul options. The EH-1 is my current favorite hunting stock. But you really do need to try and get hands on them to see what fits you.

I know a while back Manners would "loan" stocks so people could handle them. No idea if they still do that or not.
I’ve experienced just the opposite with my Mesa’s. They seem to recoil straight back for me and spotting shots is easier with them then any of the Manners or Mcmillan’s I’ve owned. With that being said, I agree completely that different stocks fit different people better. You gave the OP great advice

OP
S
I ended up finding a used eh1. I really like the feel of the stock but the problem I am running into is how much cost for weight? My bravo is 3lb 2 oz, the eh1 is 2lb 6oz with bottom metal. The lightest check rise kit I see is from lri at 4oz which would put the eh1 weighing 8oz less. However to have pillars installed and bedded would cost me another $300 and the cheek piece and hardware about $300. So I would have about $1200 into the eh1 and $350 into the bravo. Not sure the eight ounces is worth the price. Not sure but I may sell the eh1 if the bravo works well for this season.

Lawnboi

WKR
I ended up finding a used eh1. I really like the feel of the stock but the problem I am running into is how much cost for weight? My bravo is 3lb 2 oz, the eh1 is 2lb 6oz with bottom metal. The lightest check rise kit I see is from lri at 4oz which would put the eh1 weighing 8oz less. However to have pillars installed and bedded would cost me another $300 and the cheek piece and hardware about $300. So I would have about $1200 into the eh1 and $350 into the bravo. Not sure the eight ounces is worth the price. Not sure but I may sell the eh1 if the bravo works well for this season.

call manners, they make an ultra lite cheek piece that dosnt require the standard hardware.

Jakeweb09

WKR
I have shot both and I think The EH1 might get you a tiny bit higher but I personally thought it was to blocky and thick all around. The Mesa precision altitude I have on a recently finished 7 SAUM and I love it. It’s light, got a solid palm swell and not too blocky in other places making it feel more nimble. My other favorite is a Mcmillian game warden.

HUNTER100

Lil-Rokslider
I've had several to include mcmillans (game warden, hunter) and other. I most recently opted for a mesa altitude on my last build. The mesa is my favorite of all of them - and the drop at the heel makes no nevermind with recoil. In fact my experience is similar to Cpgfan - recoil is straight back and I maintain a sight picture better than my others. Again, like stated earlier- everyone has different thoughts and experiences, and sharing each others view points is helpful for all. Good thread

Geewhiz

WKR
You should be able to call them and get measurements (if not posted on their websites? I haven’t ever looked), and have not had an altitude, but do have a EH1. If I recall the reason I never tried an altitude was because of the lower comb/cheek rest.

The EH1 was a big improvement on my 6.5CM and I had a 50mm scope in Hawkins hybrids on it and was able to get a good cheek rest just fine. Just to give you an idea, not sure what scope/ring combo you’re looking at.

Also, another option to consider would be a chassis. I actually have my EH1 for sale because I got an XLR chassis and have enjoyed the versatility it provides and being able to swap in and out my barreled actions with the same action footprints. Just something to think about on your build.
Pm’d You about the EH1 you had for sale