Map & Compass

Good morning, I am wanting to get more experience using a map & compass and less dependent on my Garmin/phone. What resources do you guys recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two books that will give you everything you want to know. "Be expert with map and compass" ,old bible of compass navigation. The other is called "Wilderness navigation". I am currently looking for both of my copies of these books. They can be had on Amazon for cheap, like $10 or less.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I think REI offers free workshops that do a basic overview of using a map and compass.
Good idea and this never occurred to me so I checked my local REI and passing along what I found:

A 2 hour in-store class is $30. A 1/2 day outdoor class is $90.

Eddie

Join the Marines!!!! Ha! Seriously the most intense eductional Map and compass course you can get. Kind of a big commitment though :) Actually like the folks above mentioned, I believe REI offers classes if you are close to one. Youtube vids help too.

*zap*

WKR
Purchase some good pace beads, learn your pace to distance and learn to count your paces...I found it ironic that a marine reservist who worked at my gym did not know what pace beads were....

This is a very good resource for learning land navigation, thorough and e-z to follow:

Last edited:
OP
Zekeworldwide
Two books that will give you everything you want to know. "Be expert with map and compass" ,old bible of compass navigation. The other is called "Wilderness navigation". I am currently looking for both of my copies of these books. They can be had on Amazon for cheap, like $10 or less.

Great. I will check them out... thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purchase some good pace beads, learn your pace to distance and learn to count your paces...I found it ironic that a marine reservist who worked at my gym did not know what pace beads were....

This is a very good resource for learning land navigation, thorough and e-z to follow:

We actually didn't use them. A few guys had them and intuitively easy to use but wasn't a focus for us in the Basic School. Maybe thats why they say Lieutenants are bad navigators...lol.

Rokwiia

WKR
I've been a member of a search and rescue group and learned how to us a map and compass without having to remember to add or subtract declination. That is the tedious part and, frankly, where people get in trouble by choosing to add declination when they should subtract (or vice versa) which can occur when they are suffering from hypothermia, or an injury, and not thinking clearly.

Here is the best article I've found regarding land navigation and using a map and compass. With practice, you can follow a map in the field without needing a compass by using terrain association which the author discusses in detail. He also explains how to mark your map at home before you leave home so you never have to orient your map in the field. A huge benefit.

Land navigation and map and compass

This video explains declination and, most importantly, he also shows you how to prepare your map at home so you never have to consider declination when hunting or hiking. That starts at ~14:30 of this video.

Last edited:

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know about what resources would teach it, but the concept I have been navigating by for years before I knew the name is "Terrain Association"
Look at a map: "What will this look like in real life?"
Look at what I'm seeing: "What does this look like on a map?" (this one is easier)
And pay attention to EVERYTHING.
Is my trail near a creek? What side of the creek and which way is it flowing?
What turns did my trail do? Did it drop into a draw to cross a small creek? Because those are easy to see on a map. Even if the map scale doesn't show the trail turning, you can see the creek crossing and assume it's there.
Was there an intersection? Which way did trails go out of it?
Which direction is that ridge going, is there a unique curve to the ridge?

Picked this spot just because I have a good picture of it and it has a little of everything:
Baum4.jpg

Baum2.jpg

Baum3.jpg

OP
Zekeworldwide
I just signed up for a map & compass course in the Shenandoah National Park, VA at the end of this month hosted the park mountain guides. Hopefully, I can attain some valuable skills….

BowTrout

FNG
I just signed up for a map & compass course in the Shenandoah National Park, VA at the end of this month hosted the park mountain guides. Hopefully, I can attain some valuable skills….
I was looking at this course as well but unfortunately I wont be able to do it. Not sure how much I really NEED to know map/ compass but I'm just interested in it. Hope it goes well and look forward to hearing how the class is.