Margin of Error when Calculating Stove Fuel

BBob

WKR
So I tested the Petrel (with a JetBoil cozy attached) with two stoves. 2c water, 2.6K ft elevation. Tested to fair boil not roiling. In the field I don't even go that far, I stop when it looks ready to boil. I ran each stove three times. This was also a spur of the moment quick and dirty test so your mileage may vary ;)

1) Windmaster/Triflex support.

Avg boil time 2'45" with avg fuel used 5.3gm. Time and fuel used were very consistent. Pretty good performance. Burner is shrouded by the bottom of the pot and sits very close to the base of the pot. This combo should do very well in the wind. Ran the stove moderately to keep from killing the fins and from melting the neoprene cozy. This is typical for these hybrids and pretty subjective as I hold my fingers down around the bottom near the cozy just to guess what's too hot.

A note on this combo: With the pot on the stove it will not light with the self igniter. I have to lift and angle the pot away from the burner to get it to light. It just poofs (mini explosion) and goes out. I assume it's because the stove sits very close to the bottom of the pot and there's not enough air to mix and light.

2) BRS with shortened pot supports to fit my Inferno pot. Still sits at normal height so the burner is exposed below the pot. Might not be great in wind.

Avg boil time 3'13" with avg fuel used 4.7gm. Time and fuel used were very consistent. Same subjective guess as to how hot to run it.

The subjective finger test to how hot to run these stoves may contribute to the longer or shorter burn times and the amount of fuel used. It would be interesting at some point to test the Windmaster further away from the burner to see if more air would make it more efficient. Let's see what adapters FlatCatGear comes up with down the road for this pot.

Edit: Dug out an older test. Sterno Inferno with a BRS stove on pretty conservative low ish heat trying to eek out efficiency is 2C, 3.5-4 min boil, 3.5g fuel. On the above two tests I was pushing for quick boil times.

Last edited:

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
This is a mule deer hunt and the tripod is for my binos and spotting scope. I'll be shooting a recurve, it's tough to shoot one of those off a pack :)

My base weight (for the items you listed) is already lower than that. I'm just fine tuning and not expecting to be able to reduce my total pack weight by more than a few pounds total.
If your base weight is less than 15lbs then yes, its worth fine tuning the rest of your loadout to shave off even more weight. Your on your way...

OP
GreenNDark Timber
So I tested the Petrel (with a JetBoil cozy attached) with two stoves. 2c water, 2.6K ft elevation. Tested to fair boil not roiling. In the field I don't even go that far, I stop when it looks ready to boil. I ran each stove three times. This was also a spur of the moment quick and dirty test so your mileage may vary ;)

1) Windmaster/Triflex support.

Avg boil time 2'45" with avg fuel used 5.3gm. Time and fuel used were very consistent. Pretty good performance. Burner is shrouded by the bottom of the pot and sits very close to the base of the pot. This combo should do very well in the wind. Ran the stove moderately to keep from killing the fins and from melting the neoprene cozy. This is typical for these hybrids and pretty subjective as I hold my fingers down around the bottom near the cozy just to guess what's too hot.

A note on this combo: With the pot on the stove it will not light with the self igniter. I have to lift and angle the pot away from the burner to get it to light. It just poofs (mini explosion) and goes out. I assume it's because the stove sits very close to the bottom of the pot and there's not enough air to mix and light.

2) BRS with shortened pot supports to fit my Inferno pot. Still sits at normal height so the burner is exposed below the pot. Might not be great in wind.

Avg boil time 3'13" with avg fuel used 4.7gm. Time and fuel used were very consistent. Same subjective guess as to how hot to run it.

The subjective finger test to how hot to run these stoves may contribute to the longer or shorter burn times and the amount of fuel used. It would be interesting at some point to test the Windmaster further away from the burner to see if more air would make it more efficient. Let's see what adapters FlatCatGear comes up with down the road for this pot.

Edit: Dug out an older test. Sterno Inferno with a BRS stove on pretty conservative low ish heat trying to eek out efficiency is 2C, 3.5-4 min boil, 3.5g fuel. On the above two tests I was pushing for quick boil times.
Good info. Appreciate you taking the time to do the tests and post the results!