Mark 5 3.6-18 vs NF Nx8 2.5-20

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
Im looking at these two scopes as well. I am thinking I'm going to go with the MK 5 just because I looked through both nd really like the glass on the Leupold better between those two models. I was going to go with the 5-25 but Im thinking the 3-18 for a hunting rig should suffice.

I just got done hunting with my 2.5-20 NX8. I was quite impressed with it. I had morning just after first light that I used it to help judge a buck at 600 yards since I didn't have my spotter. The reticle at low power isn't my favorite, but honestly I keep it at 6x while walking about.

If you compare the moar reticle in the 4-16 atacr to the nx8 the difference is the nx8 has more moa drop hash marks. If it was more like the atacr I think that would help it more at low power.
Could you pm me your opinions and likes and dislikes. I’m getting a 300 nm imp done right now and I would like to know if selling my mk 5 hd which I love to gain the Benefits of 2.5 power is worth my time? Thank you

I have both the NX8 4-32 and the MK5 5-25. Both are really nice scopes but I prefer the Nightforce. I feel like the glass is more crisp and I prefer the dials but both are really nice....

Bumping this back up, looking at both of these scopes for a new rifle. I have a mark5 HD 3.6-18 already and really like it, but heavily considering the NX8 2.5-20 as well. Anyone else used both lately with some opinions to add?

ID_Matt

WKR
I have a mark 5 and a NF NXS. I think the mark 5 has outstanding glass but I have not put the turrets to the test yet. The NF turrets have been dead on and return to 0 every single time after dialing out to 1,000 yards. Nightforce has an amazing reputation for that but I haven't heard many complaints from the mark 5 either

Brighter, clearer, sharper.
Brighter, clearer, sharper is great and extremely important in binos and spotting scopes but not so much an issue for rifle scopes. A rifle scope is an aiming device. I don't know of anyone who has missed an animal due to the "glass quality" of their rifle scope. But if your scope won't track or hold zero, well get ready for that miss. I think too many people put WAY too much emphasis on glass quality of rifle scopes (I used to be one of those). I've come to realize that a rifle scope that WORKS is way more important than glass quality.

amassi

WKR
Brighter, clearer, sharper is great and extremely important in binos and spotting scopes but not so much an issue for rifle scopes. A rifle scope is an aiming device. I don't know of anyone who has missed an animal due to the "glass quality" of their rifle scope. But if your scope won't track or hold zero, well get ready for that miss. I think too many people put WAY too much emphasis on glass quality of rifle scopes (I used to be one of those). I've come to realize that a rifle scope that WORKS is way more important than glass quality.
Until you can't see what your shooting at to put those turrets to use. I know dozens of people that missed shot opportunities because they couldn't see during the last minutes of shooting light

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have a MK5 3-18. I've shot it quite a bit in different lighting conditions, if you're hunting legal hours (WA) you don't need a lighted reticle in my opinion. Good enough glass and reticle to make long shots, I shoot a lot past 1400 yds, I will say at those distances the shortcoming of 18x mag and relatively small objective diameter is noticeable compared to my other scopes, usually in the 25-29x range. I'm spoiled when it comes to glass that being said you won't have any problems hunting inside 800 in any conditions with the mk5.

I went with the Mk5 because of the light weight, its really one of the best options for that weight class.

No first hand experience with the nx8 to compare.

Rail505

FNG
Only experience i have looking through scopes is Trijicon Acog’s, RMR’s and Aimpoints. Have never been hunting or spent time behind a bolt action. Would the NX8 2.5-20x50 be too much for me? I require durability over everything else (rmr is on my edc glock that i edc EVERYDAY) but i do like the ffp, mil/mil/ and illumination. Also like the low power of 2, my thinking is it will work in case a elk comes up to 50 or whatever yards. Should i be looking at cheaper scopes based on my lack of skill and experience hunting or shooting long range?

I don't think it takes skill to enjoy the benefits of a good scope, quality glass, accurate adjustments, focus, and reliability are never a bad thing. FFP mil/mil is great to have regardless of skill level, and besides you will learn to use the tools. If your budget can support it I would say there's no reason not to get a good scope, nowadays they are a lifetime investment with outstanding warranty support, resale, etc. Both companies stand by their products with no questions asked warranties, I've heard great things about nightforce reliability (fortunately ive never tested it myself) but I have dropped my old Mk4 leupold attached to a 16lb rifle onto a rock from a few ft by accident and no real damage other than scratches.

long story short if you can afford a quality scope you will not regret buying it, and if you do? you can sell it and recoup your money.

Rail505

FNG
Well i guess thats my issue. I “could” afford it. But the Eotech Vudu 2-5-10x44 has pretty much the same exact features im lookking for, but 1k cheaper. I could buy the Eotech and a Tavor X95 or, a Nightforce. Granted, the Eotech has reputable products amd hopefully some of that came over to the scope, but with Nightforce there is no question on durability

Yeah if you're trying to split your budget into different categories I wouldn't be scared of picking up a Vudu. Some of used to shoot and hunt with tasco garbage and still manage to get by :)