Marsupial Gear bino harness?

WKR
Anybody used this system by Marsupial gear? Seems to be pretty much ideal for what I want. Clean, no elastic, magnets on flaps that open the correct way... Sort of wondering what the catch is... Wondering if they can be used single handed?

I think I'll try it, will report back how it goes. $85 seems like a reasonable risk for the harness and rangefinder pouch.

Let us know, I just googled it and not sure I like how it opens and closes. I prefer the AGC and FHF lid that comes from the back over the top, that way if its raining or snowing it keeps your eye cups a little cleaner and drier.

OP

WKR
Will do.

I do like that you can have the "attached" in either open or closed positions. I don't like the lids flopping around.

OP

WKR
Just got the harness, ordered Monday, came in Friday.

One handed operation, in or out of the pouch. Lid is very easy to operate on the bino pouch and RF pouch
Build quality, excellent
The "lid" is attached by magnet in either open or closed positions, never flopping around
Harness, easy to put on/off and no elastic to stretch out
Rangefinder pocket stays attached to main bag, no sliding

Dislikes:

Small "pouch" on the sides of the main bino pouch. My binos sometimes catch on them when putting them back in. Not sure what I'm supposed to put in there but I'd rather they're not there. I may end up gluing them shut, would never know/see it from the outside.

Wish they made a bigger, phone sized pocket for the other side of my bino pouch. I'll have to get another RF pocket likely and keep the GPS in there (will the magnet negatively affect GPS performance?). The system leans slightly to the RF pocket side which is unavoidable, but I can balance it out with a pocket on the other side. This isn't really a dislike, but something I'll do to improve the balance.

Overall, it's exactly what I've been looking for and the magnet open/close is amazing. Glad I don't have a pacemaker...

Edit to add: My optics are a Maven B1 8x42, Maven B3 8x30. Rangefinder is Leica 1000R. They all fit very well in the Marsupial Gear Small. If I had B2's, I'd go medium. Evidently the Large pouch will fit up to 15x binos.

I have had one for a few months now. I used it this season, and LOVE it. It is the perfect harness IMO. I thought the AGC was too bulky for my liking. The Kuiu always slid down after taking the binos out of the pouch. The Marsupial addresses both of those issues and is American Made.

Dameon

WKR
I like the auto lock buckles, which is something I wish my AGC had. For a bigger guy, I can see this being a great option since you can spread the load across your chest, but for smaller guys like me that like to carry a lot, I like the AGC. I keep my binos, rangefinder, gps, cell phone, gloves, wind checker, lip and face balm, and small headlamp in my AGC cub with basement. I just don't see how you can store all of that in the Marsupial.

OP

WKR
I like the auto lock buckles, which is something I wish my AGC had. For a bigger guy, I can see this being a great option since you can spread the load across your chest, but for smaller guys like me that like to carry a lot, I like the AGC. I keep my binos, rangefinder, gps, cell phone, gloves, wind checker, lip and face balm, and small headlamp in my AGC cub with basement. I just don't see how you can store all of that in the Marsupial.

That is a lot of stuff in a front pack. The Marsupial would not haul that much stuff. I'm planning on binos, wind checker, small reed calls, and rangefinder. Probably my GPS in the other rangefinder pouch.

Dameon

WKR
That is a lot of stuff in a front pack. The Marsupial would not haul that much stuff. I'm planning on binos, wind checker, small reed calls, and rangefinder. Probably my GPS in the other rangefinder pouch.

Lol, I just went on a Cub Scout Webelos 3 mile hike last month and took the opportunity to train with my fully loaded daypack and AGC harness. We stopped after 1.5 miles to talk about safety. When I started pulling stuff out of my pack and harness to explain how to be prepared, the boys started remarking that they never saw anyone more prepared in their lives. They were disappointed that my pistol holster was empty though.

That being said, I probably do carry way too much in my harness. I think I might try the Marsupial gear for my next harness if and when I can afford some bigger better binos. The front folding flap does look like a more convenient design......it just needs a basement and come in coyote brown.

Felix40

WKR
Looks like exactly what I've been wanting. The agc looks like it would be way too bulky for me.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
How about some pictures. I'm always on the look out for something better

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP

WKR
Whoever the Marsupial guy is needs to do a youtube video showing the pack. It's way easier and smoother to open/close than I thought. I'll see if I can muster the technological skills to do that this weekend.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
Interested in a video from someone that has this harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will see if I can post pictures here of my set up. I carry the rangefinder on my chest pouch as well. The Marsupial rangefinder pouch fits the Sig Kilo 2000 perfect. I think there are even pictures of it on his website with the kilo in it. The pouch also has the ability to attach the bino's to the top chest strap, or you can unclip the small duraclip looking buckles and have the binoculars free in the pouch.

Just got mine in earlier this evening.
First impressions were great. The straps and hardware all seem tight and sturdy. The pack was easy to adjust, and once I get the straps dialed in I'll trim them. My Diamondback 8x42s did catch in the interior pockets at first, but I put some 12x50's in there and opened them up to "stretch" it out for a few hours. Now the pockets don't catch. It seemed that if the interior pockets went farther up the side walls that the binos would be less likely to catch. I am still stoked and excited to take the harness out on the 3d course tomorrow. I will definitely try to take some pictures and update with a mini review.

This looks like a nice system how quiet is the material I'mcurrently running a fhf gear harness and tends to be a little noisy.
Thanks for any input !!

OP

WKR
@stevenpewpew, can you think of a purpose for the little interior pockets?

The material is like that found in the high end backpacks. Not sure how to quantify or comment on its noise but it is similar material if thats what is being asked.

OP

WKR
I think it's a close comparison to the fhf. Clean, simple, streamlined design that is well built, and a bonus for me is that it's American made. I like the magnet closure A LOT. Opens and closes intuitively and the fact that the lid is not flopping around, in either open or closed position, puts this system ahead of the rest IMO.

Nothing yet, I was thinking about putting my license and tag in the front pocket, then a lens pen in one of the inside pockets and maybe a mini sharpie. Actually, that might give the internal pocket material the rigidity that it needs to not catch when you put the binos back in. I tend to pull my binos out with my right hand. When I go put them back in, I should be able to push against the pen(s) and slide the binos in without catching on the lip.

As far as noise goes, the outside material is slightly quieter than the material used on my Icon Pro bag. The internal material is quieter than that. I don't seeing it being an issue and should wear in to be softer by the time next hunting season comes around. (Southern California).

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I emailed the company and got a quick and helpful response. The products are made of 500D Cordura, same as MR, Kifaru packs, as well as FHF. Seems like a well thought out product. Tempted to try one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk