Marsupial harness quirks…

fishslap

WKR
I’ve been using their bino packs for a long time. I’ve used three generations and I’m on the fully enclosed fleece lined for my 10x42 SLCs. I started noticing a serious squeak on Sunday when putting the binos back in. That one is a small. My other two gen 1 and gen 2 are mediums for leupold cascade 10x42 and vortex 12x50s. No squeak in those but they are cordura on the inside. Going to shoot them an email this week. Really good company and great guy. Maybe the small is too tight.

Well I have been highly considering 1 of these harness since I spend most of my time in the blacktail woods, also known as a "rainforest " I'm thinking maybe I should look for something else? Are these not a waterproof cover? And fleece sounds terrible for the brush I'm always pushing 😕. Hey Roosie do you know of a good waterproof harness since we tend to hunt the same water logged brushy country??

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
I should add that I'm using an older version, non-enclosed harness. My newer versions never gave me a problem.

Well I have been highly considering 1 of these harness since I spend most of my time in the blacktail woods, also known as a "rainforest " I'm thinking maybe I should look for something else? Are these not a waterproof cover? And fleece sounds terrible for the brush I'm always pushing 😕. Hey Roosie do you know of a good waterproof harness since we tend to hunt the same water logged brushy country??
They are not waterproof, but it'll take a lot to get through. I've never had one get soaked through and I've spent a good deal of time in the rain.
Fleece is only on the inside, to be gentle on your optics. Outside is cordura

ChrisAU

WKR
My latest gen no-mag developed a squeak last year using NL 32's. Annoyed me badly, but still my favorite harness so far. Recently moved to a FHF Chest Rig with a bino bucket, no squeaks there.

OP
roosiebull
Wore mine all day yesterday for the first real time. Would love to see a video of what you guys think is loud. Maybe mine is a newer version but I have zero complaints and it's no more loud than any other harness I've worn. FWIW I have a medium size Bino harness for 10x50's which is what they recommended.
Mine was really quiet for a few months, then started squeaking pretty loud putting my binos in the harness, I have found if I kind of wiggle them in, I can avoid the noise.

My rust situation isn’t getting worse currently, seems like it quit rusting, which I hope

I have been using the marsupial with my NL pures again probably the past 10 days, I got sick of the kuiu harness pretty quick, I have learned to manage the squeaking, and content with it

The squeaking seems like it’s gotten a little better too, so after blacktail season I will either get another one of these but non magnetic, or the gen 2 OV

OP
roosiebull
My latest gen no-mag developed a squeak last year using NL 32's. Annoyed me badly, but still my favorite harness so far. Recently moved to a FHF Chest Rig with a bino bucket, no squeaks there.
I think some armors are just more squeak prone, my NL’s squeaked in the kuiu harness too, and I have never had glass squeak in a kuiu harness… probably not a material made that’s perfect for every bino.

The marsupial is a really nice harness though, very comfortable too

OP
roosiebull
I just keep my harness under my rain jacket on the wet days, I tried the stone glacier harness and thought it was going to be the one, but it was my very least favorite harness I have used… a few mods to that harness and it would kick ass, but as it is, I hate it… that’s the only waterproof one I know of

Mine was really quiet for a few months, then started squeaking pretty loud putting my binos in the harness, I have found if I kind of wiggle them in, I can avoid the noise.

My rust situation isn’t getting worse currently, seems like it quit rusting, which I hope

I have been using the marsupial with my NL pures again probably the past 10 days, I got sick of the kuiu harness pretty quick, I have learned to manage the squeaking, and content with it

The squeaking seems like it’s gotten a little better too, so after blacktail season I will either get another one of these but non magnetic, or the gen 2 OV
Interesting. I have vortex razor HD's and have about 50 miles in them over 8 days, one day of solid rain. So far so good! I just added their small pistol harness to the bottom of mine as my hunting partner had some family stuff come up and I'm solo now. Impressed with the quality and like it much better than wearing it with an alien gear chest harness as well.

MattB

WKR
My experience is that when cordura gets dirty it can get squeaky. Might try washing the harness to see if that quiets it at least temporarily.

I've found that I need to hose off my Crispi Thor's every few days during the dusty, hot early season or the tongue squeaks where the laces cross.

For what it is worth, I didn't think that you were bad mouthing the product or manufacturer at all, pretty clear you were trying to solicit input from other users.

OP
roosiebull
Interesting. I have vortex razor HD's and have about 50 miles in them over 8 days, one day of solid rain. So far so good! I just added their small pistol harness to the bottom of mine as my hunting partner had some family stuff come up and I'm solo now. Impressed with the quality and like it much better than wearing it with an alien gear chest harness as well.
Yeah, there is no denying their quality, they are the nicest constructed harness I have had/handled, and I like how low profile they relatively are compared to a harness like the gen 1 OV, which is great in its own right, they are just boxy.

The marsupial is also the most comfortable harness I have used, just don’t notice the weight after a long day in the woods, or several long days… again, the OV is very comfortable too, but marsupial has a small edge there.

I will be ordering a razco holster for my hellcat soon too, but need to figure out what harness I plan to use for awhile so I know what holster to actually get.

Blacktail season will be the determining factor, if the marsupial doesn’t rust anymore, I may just keep rolling with that, because I have figured out a way to mitigate the squeak when I need to be quiet… I do like the marsupial, wearing that kuiu harness a bit gave me more appreciation for the marsupial, and the marsupial is really good at keeping debris out of the harness… I was having to dump leaves and debris out of that kuiu harness a couple times a day… bust through one big salmonberry patch, and there would be a bunch of crap inside.

If the rust gets worse, I may just get the non magnetic version

Yeah, there is no denying their quality, they are the nicest constructed harness I have had/handled, and I like how low profile they relatively are compared to a harness like the gen 1 OV, which is great in its own right, they are just boxy.

The marsupial is also the most comfortable harness I have used, just don’t notice the weight after a long day in the woods, or several long days… again, the OV is very comfortable too, but marsupial has a small edge there.

I will be ordering a razco holster for my hellcat soon too, but need to figure out what harness I plan to use for awhile so I know what holster to actually get.

Blacktail season will be the determining factor, if the marsupial doesn’t rust anymore, I may just keep rolling with that, because I have figured out a way to mitigate the squeak when I need to be quiet… I do like the marsupial, wearing that kuiu harness a bit gave me more appreciation for the marsupial, and the marsupial is really good at keeping debris out of the harness… I was having to dump leaves and debris out of that kuiu harness a couple times a day… bust through one big salmonberry patch, and there would be a bunch of crap inside.

If the rust gets worse, I may just get the non magnetic version
Just a heads up, I'm using a hellcat also (with the optic) and it fits in the marsupial small pistol holster perfectly. I thought I would have to take the red dot off but it fits just fine. I was looking at all the kydex options and thought it might be kinda loud. I have a full size 10mm XDM elite as well that I don't think would fit but I have a hunch the 3.8" barrel version might! It's a lot stiffer material than I assumed it would be and the price is right.

I put adhesive backed felt on the barrels of my binoculars. Problem solved.

Which binos? I assume you are talking about the harness you bought from me.. I don't ever remember hearing a squeak?

I have one of the newer fleece-lined non-enclosed, and it maybe has a tiny tiny squeak when my binos rub on the back wall when I put them back, which doesn't really bother me, and I'm not sure if its just not stretched out enough yet, but its definitely tougher to get my binos back into than the older version was. Hoping it gets better when the fabric wears in a little.

Venom One

WKR
I may just get the non magnetic version

The non-mag version is great. The lid function is excellent so if you like the rest of the harness (minus the squeak) I think you'll like the non-mag.

Squeaks will drive a guy mad. My FHF just started squeaking on the side buckle where my range finder is mounted. Grrrr....

Fatcamp

WKR
Which binos? I assume you are talking about the harness you bought from me.. I don't ever remember hearing a squeak?

I have one of the newer fleece-lined non-enclosed, and it maybe has a tiny tiny squeak when my binos rub on the back wall when I put them back, which doesn't really bother me, and I'm not sure if its just not stretched out enough yet, but its definitely tougher to get my binos back into than the older version was. Hoping it gets better when the fabric wears in a little.

Meopta 10X42. They fit good, and the squeek didn't happen all the time, but the felt fixed it and I'm happy. It was where the bottom of the barrels touched the inside of the harness.

I don't remember if they are from you. I've had four binoculars and harnesses over the last year so it's a little blurry, but I really like this setup.

Got into 14 yards on a bedded 4x4 a couple weeks ago so they are quiet now.

MadeInTheRain

Lil-Rokslider
Meopta 10X42. They fit good, and the squeek didn't happen all the time, but the felt fixed it and I'm happy. It was where the bottom of the barrels touched the inside of the harness.

I don't remember if they are from you. I've had four binoculars and harnesses over the last year so it's a little blurry, but I really like this setup.

Got into 14 yards on a bedded 4x4 a couple weeks ago so they are quiet now.
I have the same issue with a horn hunter bino harness. To remedy I taped the end of the barrels with electrical tape. Assuming the cause is from the coating on the binos. I was looking at purchasing a Marsupial harness in the near future, but now I'm intrigued by the Outdoor Vision one you brought to my attention.

Attachments

• IMG-4309.jpg
    IMG-4309.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 16

TX_Diver

WKR
I too had a squeaking issue with my harness and e-mailed marsupial. Their suggestion was to stretch it a bit by either putting a slightly larger pair of binos in it, or by wrapping my binos in a shirt and stuffing it in.

I wrapped my binos in a pair of long johns and then threw a balaclava around it for good measure and stuffed em in the pouch for 24 hours. Now they slide in/out extremely easy with no squeak.

Little bit weird but it worked so I won't complain.

For reference that was 10x42 SLCs in a small non-enclosed magnetic pouch. They had previously fit my small no-mag pouch with no issues. The issue was made worse by the wind check and archery release on the sides of the pouch, but again I did that with my previous pouch with no issues.