Massive fee increase for Idaho's unit 5 - CDA tribal reservation.

Broomd

WKR
Guys may want to sock away a bit extra if they expect to chase deer or elk on CDA tribal ground in North Idaho's unit 5.
Much (most) of unit 5 is reservation ground.
We live on the rez, and even we are going from $10 to $100 if we hunt the ground immediately next to our acreage.

NR 18-54y/o was $10 and is now $600 for any big game hunt access. This will definitely thin things out around here, and one would think that the tribe will be enforcing with new warden hires given the monies involved.

1616989753856.png

Guys may want to sock away a bit extra if they expect to chase deer or elk on CDA tribal ground in North Idaho's unit 5.
We live on the rez, and even we are going from $10 to $100 if we hunt the ground immediately next to our acreage.

NR 18-54y/o was $10 and is now $600 for any big game hunt access. This will definitely thin things out around here, and one would think that the tribe will be enforcing with new warden hires given the monies involved.

View attachment 277946
Yea I saw that as well, pretty crazy. The way I understand it, you would need both a Tribal Permit/License as well as your normal
IDFG License and tags.

TheTone

WKR
I think the real intent is that you need the tribal license to hunt any land inside the reservation line regardless of who owns it. It’s going to be a mess and I think they are going to have a rude awakening regarding jurisdiction over non tribal members

The problem people are going to have with it is having to pay both entities (State and Tribe). I routinely hunt in unit 5, only living just outside the reservation boundaries and I’m going to have a hard time paying both the F&G and the Tribe to hunt that ground. They (Tribe & F&G) need to figure this out before it becomes a huge mess. I know the Tribal “Jurisdiction” dates back to the days when the treaty was signed and they probably have some teeth with that. This is also not a new thing, as I think the Tribe has always required this license/permit, it just hasn’t been enforced.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Thanks for the comments here guys.....kinda surprised at the lack of concern and comments overall, but I guess in the long run this is great news for those (of us) who live on the CDA Rez.

If someone gets caught here with a Unit 5 deer or elk it's gonna be hell for them with the tribe, not to mention when harvest reports start to reveal that folks killed deer and elk here on 5 that weren't permitted/paid for on tribal ground.
Spoke with a good friend who lives here on the Rez, he has 4-5 Pennsylavania buds who come every Fall for elk, even during covid. Anxious to see if they pony the $2400-3000 extra bucks this year just for the tribe. Pretty crazy.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Thought I'd reitereate that even people who live here now are supposed to pay $100 just to hunt their own property which occupies the Reservation.
That seems nuts, but time will tell where this all ends up. Will likely see the courthouse, or ID Supreme courthouse.

Kiddross

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the comments here guys.....kinda surprised at the lack of concern and comments overall, but I guess in the long run this is great news for those (of us) who live on the CDA Rez.

If someone gets caught here with a Unit 5 deer or elk it's gonna be hell for them with the tribe, not to mention when harvest reports start to reveal that folks killed deer and elk here on 5 that weren't permitted/paid for on tribal ground.
Spoke with a good friend who lives here on the Rez, he has 4-5 Pennsylavania buds who come every Fall for elk, even during covid. Anxious to see if they pony the $2400-3000 extra bucks this year just for the tribe. Pretty crazy.
Wish I would have done more research prior to purchasing my first out of state whitetail tag for this unit. Looks like our options of area to hunt will be very minimal without purchasing the permit. I did not realize how large the boundaries of the reservation reached.

TheTone

WKR
Wish I would have done more research prior to purchasing my first out of state whitetail tag for this unit. Looks like our options of area to hunt will be very minimal without purchasing the permit. I did not realize how large the boundaries of the reservation reached.
I’d call the region 1 fish and game office and get there opinion. I know that I don’t think the tribe has any jurisdiction over you on non tribal land

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t hunt in 5 this year mostly because of the fee increase. What was it like in terms of enforcement? I knew a few locals were going to hunt timber co land inside the Rez boundary without the tribal permit. I was wondering if anyone had any issues I was expecting a few based on what people said but never heard of anything. Hopefully everything went smooth. The price isn’t close to worth it for me and I don’t really want to be the test case for if tribe has jurisdiction on private ground within the reservation boundaries. I don’t think they do but too many other places to hunt. It should have cut way down on crowds anyways. Any 2021 reports? Way less hunters or not ?

N.ID7803

WKR
I didn’t hunt in 5 this year mostly because of the fee increase. What was it like in terms of enforcement? I knew a few locals were going to hunt timber co land inside the Rez boundary without the tribal permit. I was wondering if anyone had any issues I was expecting a few based on what people said but never heard of anything. Hopefully everything went smooth. The price isn’t close to worth it for me and I don’t really want to be the test case for if tribe has jurisdiction on private ground within the reservation boundaries. I don’t think they do but too many other places to hunt. It should have cut way down on crowds anyways. Any 2021 reports? Way less hunters or not ?
There seemed to be less Non residents and more residents in the areas I was hunting.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
This moved many from that unit to other surrounding units……I was one of the only nonresident hunters in my area but there was a town of displaced residents who took up shop not knowing they were in wolf haven….let’s just say they found very few elk where 5 seasons earlier they would have been this is awesome🤣

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
there is lots of IEP to hunt, private if you got permission and the mica bay land to name a few
I have hunted a lot of the timber company and mica bay in the past 👍 tribe said they had jurisdiction on private within reservation boundaries which I think they definitely do NOT. It just wasn’t worth it to me so I was wondering if anything came of that ? I know a few locals were hunting it anyways (private and timber co) withou tribal permits. Was just wondering if anyone heard of any conflicts I haven’t .

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted a lot of the timber company and mica bay in the past 👍 tribe said they had jurisdiction on private within reservation boundaries which I think they definitely do NOT. It just wasn’t worth it to me so I was wondering if anything came of that ? I know a few locals were hunting it anyways (private and timber co) withou tribal permits. Was just wondering if anyone heard of any conflicts I haven’t .
I think I misunderstood you ha ha you mean property in 5 not within the Rez like mica bay and inland?

N.ID7803

WKR
I haven’t heard of any conflicts either. I’ve heard the same story about them claiming jurisdiction. I called F@G shortly after this came out and they confirmed that they do not have jurisdiction on ground not owned by the tribe. They use it as a scare tactic.

Wolfe78

FNG

View attachment 277946
Looking at their regulations... I don't see a moose season on the reservation if you draw a unit 5 tag ? Is that the case that there is no moose season for non residential reservation members if you pay the $600?