Mathews, if you think you perfected the bow then don't make it worse.

Wheels

WKR
New bow sales are going to be down in the next year regardless due to the economy. If you are going to flub a year and essentially just release the same bow it's not the worst year to do that from a business perspective.

I'm not saying that's what they are doing here...I don't give them that much credit!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
People are going to continue to spend money that they don’t have. As long as they can get credit cards and loans they will continue to buy. It’s the American way these days, keep up or get out of the way…

Dan Carey

FNG
Lots of companies come out with new models each year. Usually not game changing improvements, but lots of guys like to tinker. (guns, vehicles, optics, rangefinders, knives, clothing, boots, backpacks, pretty much everything.) If you are satisfied with your current setup, by all means shoot it. $1.2k is different to everyone, to some it is big money, to some it is small beans. Why can a guy own 20 guns and no one questions, but a guy buys a bow a year and it is not needed. FWIW, I still shoot a Triax and average a new bow every 3 years or so.
Because guns can and almost always do increase in value. Five year old bows are close to worthless.

Because guns can and almost always do increase in value. Five year old bows are close to worthless.
So you are a financial advisor for guys that love to buy gear? Thank you for your service.

P.S. Very few guns that I am interested in, increase in value. Most are like pickups, once I finish the build on them, they lose 20% of their value. (Custom rifles, Glocks, 1911's, AR's)

I do not think there are very many people who buy bows as a type of investment.

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Mathews owners who might be lurking and are about to purchase your new Phase 4 bow. Please reach out to me as I would like to inquire upon your vxr, v3, or v3x .

This is proof that we’ve reached the peak of what compound bows can be. “Groundbreaking” technology is not coming, it’s already here. From here on out it’s a marketing game
it's been this way for a decade not sure why people can;t wrap their heads around it. we've had the same specs since 2012. i'm just happy new bows came out because previous years flagships just got a little cheaper

I'm not disagreeing, but I haven't seen this demonstrated. I keep seeing people say that the switchweight mods are "more efficient". How much? 4fps? 10fps?

Some rotating mod cams are also better than others.

Do you know of a test someone has done at different draw lengths with mathews mods?

This is the only one I know off the top of my head that I've seen with rotating mods:
Out of curiosity, I compiled the data from the speed test video you posted and from a few other speed tests on the same YouTube channel. I was surprised how well the Bowtech Solution and PSE Levitate maintained speed as DL decreased. Granted, the tests have some seemingly anomalous data points that make me a bit suspicious, but I'm willing to believe that the general trends are fairly accurate.
Speed-DLGraph.jpg
Speed-DLTable.jpg

I couldn't find a full set of speed vs. DL data for a Mathews Switchweight bow for comparison, but from the few mod swaps I made when I first bought my VXR, I recall seeing speed change around 9-10 fps per inch of DL adjustment...very similar to the average rate of change for the Bowtech and PSE in the test data above. Perhaps rotating mod designs have improved to the point that there's no longer an appreciable difference in speed performance between fixed and rotating mods. Hoyt's rotating mod might be an exception to that statement...the RX-7 Ultra averaged 16+ fps per inch of DL in the test data above.

bsnedeker

WKR
People are going to continue to spend money that they don’t have. As long as they can get credit cards and loans they will continue to buy. It’s the American way these days, keep up or get out of the way…
So you are saying you believe that new bow sales will be unimpacted by the recession? For the sake of bow manufacturers I hope you are right....I remain doubtful.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Out of curiosity, I compiled the data from the speed test video you posted and from a few other speed tests on the same YouTube channel. I was surprised how well the Bowtech Solution and PSE Levitate maintained speed as DL decreased. Granted, the tests have some seemingly anomalous data points that make me a bit suspicious, but I'm willing to believe that the general trends are fairly accurate.
View attachment 475376
View attachment 475377

I couldn't find a full set of speed vs. DL data for a Mathews Switchweight bow for comparison, but from the few mod swaps I made when I first bought my VXR, I recall seeing speed change around 9-10 fps per inch of DL adjustment...very similar to the average rate of change for the Bowtech and PSE in the test data above. Perhaps rotating mod designs have improved to the point that there's no longer an appreciable difference in speed performance between fixed and rotating mods. Hoyt's rotating mod might be an exception to that statement...the RX-7 Ultra averaged 16+ fps per inch of DL in the test data above.

Thanks for putting it together.

I've heard anecdotally that hoyt was notoriously bad at certain parts of the cam (losing more than the generally accepted 10fps/in), and that the PSE evolve cams were good at maintaining efficiency at different DL settings.

If mathews isn't doing any better than 10fps/in with their mods, I don't get the efficiency argument for mods vs rotating.

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
So you are saying you believe that new bow sales will be unimpacted by the recession? For the sake of bow manufacturers I hope you are right....I remain doubtful.
Matt McPherson has stated he has technology he’s holding onto for this reason precisely. He already manufactures Carbon Fiber guitars. I’m 99% sure he’s already developed a carbon bow and multiple new adjustable cam systems. He knows the year Mathews releases a 32 inch adjustable Cam carbon bow it will sell off the shelves. Doing a rerelease is a smart business move, it doesn’t force you to release tech early.

it's been this way for a decade not sure why people can;t wrap their heads around it. we've had the same specs since 2012. i'm just happy new bows came out because previous years flagships just got a little cheaper
There are some fairly decent improvements. I bought a new hoyt this year and its rated the same rated speed as my old bow, but shoots about 25 fps faster with the same weight arrows.

BUT overall.. yes.. not much change in the last 10.. I think accessories attachment are the developing technology. Bridgelock, picatinny, dovetail arrow rest mounts. All for the better.. I do think the bridgelock stabilizers are a bit...useless, but maybe its really good. I'm certainly not buying all the reasons they've spouted for the benefits of it.

The split limbs on the Phase 4 though... Pretty smart IMO

Last edited:

Dirtbag

WKR
Maybe its just me, but I don't see any issue with manufacturers making small incremental upgrades each year. I feel like a lot of folks have been duped into thinking you have to buy a new bow, phone, ipad, and so on every year and feel cheated when there isnt outlandish new tech along with it.

You don't have to buy a new bow every year, and for the guys that don't these small changes over time add up to a significant upgrade. The last bow I had was from 2014. I bought a V3X last year and it is lightyears better than my previous bow.

jmez

WKR
Compound bows peaked in performance many years ago. Small changes every year to make them a little more pleasant to shoot and a little easier to tune. Marketing has been king for a long time. No one plays that game as well as Mathews. They must be listening to someone, or someone is listening to them. They sell a shit ton or bows every year and will again this year.

Same threads different year.

Wheels

WKR
I believe that the younger generation will continue to spend money regardless of a recession or not. They’re all driving $90,000 pickup trucks pulling a $40,000 duck boat or a $25,000 Ranger to the farm that daddy bought so the kids would have a place to hunt.. As long as they can pay the monthly minimum they will keep rolling along to get instagram likes.

I still have people come up to me at the range and ask what bow i am shooting because it is so quiet - its a 2010 z7 lol I will stick with my z7 and Switchback.

bsnedeker

WKR
I believe that the younger generation will continue to spend money regardless of a recession or not. They’re all driving $90,000 pickup trucks pulling a $40,000 duck boat or a $25,000 Ranger to the farm that daddy bought so the kids would have a place to hunt.. As long as they can pay the monthly minimum they will keep rolling along to get instagram likes.
Yes, a large percentage of people will spend money they don't have regardless of the economy. The idea that EVERYONE will do that so Matthews sees no impact on their annual sales beggars belief.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

JStol5

WKR
Incredibly disappointed with Mathews this year. I would be really surprised if they did as well this year as they did last year with the V3X. I shoot a V3, and cannot see a reason to upgrade until they really change things. They created a problem that didn’t exist (bridgelock stabilizers). I saw several Mathews influencers saying it was “more streamlined/inline”, but stabilizers are ALREADY inline. This is just stupidity at this point. They’re also $250 a pop for a bar. Also tired of the “deadest bow in hand” BS every year. Put a limbsaver on your bow if you need it. It kinda bums me out as a Mathews fan to see them go so hard into the ridiculously overpriced accessory game and not change the bow with things a lot of people want (grip, cam, etc).

Incredibly disappointed with Mathews this year. I would be really surprised if they did as well this year as they did last year with the V3X. I shoot a V3, and cannot see a reason to upgrade until they really change things. They created a problem that didn’t exist (bridgelock stabilizers). I saw several Mathews influencers saying it was “more streamlined/inline”, but stabilizers are ALREADY inline. This is just stupidity at this point. They’re also $250 a pop for a bar. Also tired of the “deadest bow in hand” BS every year. Put a limbsaver on your bow if you need it. It kinda bums me out as a Mathews fan to see them go so hard into the ridiculously overpriced accessory game and not change the bow with things a lot of people want (grip, cam, etc).

Exactly. It’s complete BS and nothing more than a marketing game. For example the v3x is already silent and vibration free but this “innovation” is quieter and deader. People watch influencers on YouTube who are making these claims that the phase 4 is the quietest and deadest ever have to realize that when you’re given a free 1400$ bow plus accessories you are going to say whatever Mathew’s wants you to say. Mathew’s knows it will work because people are idiots. It is a nice bow no doubt and if I was looking for a new one this year I would shoot it along with the other flagships before making a decision but IMO it’s not worth upgrading from a bow that’s been purchased recently