Mathews V3 31 Timing/Tuning Advice

andydwyer

WKR
Hey guys!

I'm just about to pull the trigger on an EZ Green press, and I'm looking for a good starting point. Right now it's shooting pretty good even though it's out of spec a little bit, so I'm not planning on fiddling with it until my elk season is over unless I have more free time somehow. BH and field points were hitting together at 30, but I haven't had a chance to get out and shoot further yet.

Here's what's going on:
Cam timing looks off, but equal. The witness holes have the cables running through the back half (pic attached)
Brace height is a little low -- spec is 6" so just the string width off there.
ATA is 31 1/8 -- 1/8 over
Draw weight is 68lbs with 70lb mods on there.

From a chart I'm reading it seems like I need to put some twists in the string to fix the draw weight, brace height and ATA, but remove twists to move the witness holes toward the string? Twist both cables and string? This seems like a trial and error thing, but any starting moves that you guys recommend is appreciated.

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 27
  • unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 27
  • unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 25
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 22
ATA and BH are a +,- thing. If you are within 1/4" on ATA it's within spec. BH is about the same, little less. Draw board to check your DL, see where it is, generally going to be 3/8-1/2" long depending on let off mod.

As long as you can see cable in the windows, it's fine.

Probably single twist in cable will bring your poundage up, bring timing holes around, back out BH, and get your ATA a fuzz closer. Cables on those bows have a lot of serving, so you don't want to play with them too much, leads to problems, especially untwisting. Just saying for future reference.

You will want to check timing at full draw against the cable stops, those windows aren't 100%, but ballpark.

Here's helpful chart to reference.
Mathews-Tuning-Chart-1-pdf-1024x790-1 (1).jpg

Last edited:

CB4

WKR
What @Billy Goat just said. Maybe adding a twist into the cables would bring the poundage up but just viewing timing through the holes isn't 100% accurate. I have the same bow. Usually my 70lb mods run around 68/69lbs and my 75lb mods at 74.

OP
andydwyer

andydwyer

WKR
Appreciate the help. Looking forward to tinkering -- I'll let you know how it goes 👍