Matt Rinella for president

We’ve got to take the money out of the “hunting industry”. That’s easier said than done. One of the key pillars of the North American Model of Conservation, that many influencers and industry folks love to talk about, is the elimination of markets and commercial use of wildlife. Yet here we have probably the biggest market we have ever had around the commercial use of wildlife, and to the detriment of hunting as a recreational pastime, sport, and family tradition.
Although I don't disagree with you at all...

It's capitalism.

Would Sitka, First Lite, Tikka, Nightforce, etc be coming out with anything new if there wasn't money in it?

The reason we're not all hunting with our .30-30s in old jeans and Buffalo plaid shirts is the money in the industry.

From what I've seen on SM I disagree completely with this point. For every influencer out there who genuinly advocates for conservation and the protection of our hunting rights there are at LEAST 10 who shamelessly self-promote without lifting a finger to help drive conservation and hunting rights.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
How do you know that? Honest question.

Seems like it would be a lot of work to contact all those influencers and ask them about the things they do, or don't do, for conservation.

From what I've seen on SM I disagree completely with this point. For every influencer out there who genuinly advocates for conservation and the protection of our hunting rights there are at LEAST 10 who shamelessly self-promote without lifting a finger to help drive conservation and hunting rights.

I'll take those odds. 10% of 10,000,000 followers combined is alot of votes and alot of voice thats all im saying. It's better than 0 which I feel would be the case if hunting completely fell off the face of the earth on social media

I also understand at the same time they can bring negative attention. In a perfect world we should be able to have both but we both know that will never be the case.

It's an enormous uphill battle for sure at this point.

I'm in the market for a new pack and I have it down to 2 options. One company has a section dedicated to a youtube influencer group's branding. The other company is owned by a mega conglomerate of outdoor brands and they have a dedicated link to sign up to be a "pro influencer". Yuck on both accounts.

By the way, I headed over to youtube to check out a review of one of the packs and none other than Robby Denning himself was the top result reviewing a SG pack from the woods. Great review btw 😂.
Ah crap. I don’t wanna be an influencer. I just like the pack lol. Btw still using it 4 years later. Hit me PM if any questions.

Last edited:

Seems like it would be a lot of work to contact all those influencers and ask them about the things they do, or don't do, for conservation.
It's pretty simple: I used to follow a BUNCH of hunting influencers. Many opportunities presented themselves for these people to advocate for hunting rights and conservation. The folks who don't speak up and use their platform are very obvious...they'll be posting about whatever brand is giving them free crap on days when people who actually care are using their platforms to educate and advocate.

Once I realized this was the case I dropped these people from my feed. In my experience it was about 10-1...I barely follow any individuals anymore...mostly just companies I want to keep up to date on their products/sales.

I think the point is you should not have to call and ask them. If they are "influencers" they should have the conservation efforts front and center of their platform. That is how you influence people.

I'll take those odds. 10% of 10,000,000 followers combined is alot of votes and alot of voice thats all im saying. It's better than 0 which I feel would be the case if hunting completely fell off the face of the earth on social media

I also understand at the same time they can bring negative attention. In a perfect world we should be able to have both but we both know that will never be the case.
You completely misread my comment. I'm not talking about 10% of followers, I'm talking about 10% of influencers actually care about conservation. You can have 10 million followers but if you aren't using your platform to advocate for conservation and hunting rights you are only promoting yourself for your own selfish gains.

The thing I’ve always said to people who get worked up about anything on the internet…. Why do you let it affect your life?

I’ve not had a social media (unless you count forums) since I had a MySpace page in high school. And guess what, if you don’t look at garbage you won’t get your panties in a wad over nonsense.

Just imagine if you didn’t even have to think about it, and you just lived your life and took care of your family. Hunted every opportunity you could get and actually called friends/family on the phone and talked to them. Imagine not worrying about strangers opinions or they’re doing with their own lives.

Delete your garbage apps and live a little.

Yea I guess you’re not aware of the numerous instances where our hunting privileges have been banned due to social media. You can’t just turn it off and hide, unfortunately. Wish we could!

If you needed to get as much support as possible for a major change in our industry, who do you think would bring a more positive impact and following for that particular situation... Steve Rinella or his brother Matt?

If I was wanting to get a spokesperson for an outdoor product then I would have zero qualms about approaching Steve Rinella or Big Fin. Not a whiff of bad behavior attached to either. There are 10 more persons I would strongly consider as well to hire who get out in the field on attainable hunts and share their experiences with gear and tactics.

I can't make my candle burn brighter by blowing out another good person's candle. There are good persons out there in the outdoor industry and if they are profiting from marketing themselves that does not bother me nor whether they are getting wealthy while grinding away. The existence of charlatans and cheaters does not make me what to toss out the baby with the dirty water. I just move on from crappy content and crappy people. It is not that hard as a person consuming content. Is harder as buy gear since lots is out of China or have crappy people associated with the company. Same as a lot of other things I need to buy.

You completely misread my comment. I'm not talking about 10% of followers, I'm talking about 10% of influencers actually care about conservation. You can have 10 million followers but if you aren't using your platform to advocate for conservation and hunting rights you are only promoting yourself for your own selfish gains.

Didnt miss your comment at all but you missed mine. if for every 1 influencer who promotes conservation there are 10(thats 10% by the way) who dont and the total amount of followers for those 10 people is 10,000,000 thats 1,000,000 who may be positively affected no?

Would it be nice if every single one would promote conservation absolutely!! But, I'll take 1 for every 10 rather than none at all because we decided to take all the rocks out of the playground because some kids throw rocks..

Last edited:
Didnt miss your comment at all but you missed mine. if for every 1 influencer who promotes conservation there are 10(thats 10% by the way) who dont and the total amount of followers for those 10 people is 10,000,000 thats 1,000,000 who may be positively affected no?
Lol....yeah, great point...as long as you completely ignore all the damage the other 90% of influencers are doing to hunting. That is the entire point of this thread, by the way.

Lol....yeah, great point...as long as you completely ignore all the damage the other 90% of influencers are doing to hunting. That is the entire point of this thread, by the way.

Agree to disagree but I'll take hunting every year and some crowded trailheads over losing my right to hunt because I was too selfish to see the big picture....

Also not ignoring the issues SM can bring which is why when @robby denning put the stop on having these kinds of threads I said something about it. I think it's important we have these discussions in a professional manner and see everyone's perspectives. We may even have an impact on what we see on SM.

All I'm getting at is we cannot have this all or nothing mentality towards social media. If used properly it can be a powerful tool.

This is coming from the guy who isn't even on it..... Nor posted a single picture on here of an animal ive killed.

Last edited:

Two things can be true at once. You can promote hunting and conservation AND be selfish. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Yea I guess you’re not aware of the numerous instances where our hunting privileges have been banned due to social media. You can’t just turn it off and hide, unfortunately. Wish we could!
I just keep hunting most of the same hunts year after year. Read the regulations every year and see what’s changed. Nothing has affected any of my hunts in the last couple decades of hunting.

So people popularizing hunting on the internet is going to make it go away? Sounds backwards to me. More hunters, more money, more votes, more influence on government. What I see is a problem is people in state government looking the other way when these dirtbags break the law. They advertise for their state and bring in a bunch of money. If an influencer can bring in a couple hundred thousand to the states economy with hunters they aren't going to care how many illegal mule deer he kills.

Back