Matthews Atlas - Long draw bows feedback

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
To any future readers of this thread. These guys are right. This bow isn’t a speed demon. However, I got concerned that this bow was to slow and wouldn’t work for hunting. I ended up spending a ton of time researching and converting different bow speeds. In short, it’s only about 5-10 FPS slower than a v3x 33 in a direct comparison. When you stretch it out to the 32-34” draw range this bow was made for, it is effectively equivalent to any other bow. Simply put, it’s not fast on paper but it’s “hunting fast” (260-280 fps) for the draw range it’s designed for. If you built lighter weight arrows like an x impact it would then make this bow target fast (280-300 fps).

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
i ended up buying one. i do hate the grip but i changed it out for the ultraview which makes a world of difference. very happy with it, isn't a speed demon (65#, 32" mods, 520g arrow at 267 fps) but fast enough for me.
Do know know what the let off is?

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
I am a 32” draw. It depends on what type of bow you are after. I shot the atlas at the flowing specs. I didn’t measure it to see actual poundage and correct draw length but it felt pretty spot on when I was shooting it. We just backed down the limbs instead of replacing the switch weight mods too.
32” 70 lbs 530g arrow: 272fps
65 lbs 530g arrow: 265 fps
60 lbs 530g arrow: 255 fps
I love the atlas and may pick one up this year. Another good option that I have had is the Hoyt XXL. Wish I could of shot them side by side. They aren’t speed demon bows but at our draw length we really don’t have to worry about speed anyway
Do you know what the let off was?

OP
M

Mowy33

FNG
To any future readers of this thread. These guys are right. This bow isn’t a speed demon. However, I got concerned that this bow was to slow and wouldn’t work for hunting. I ended up spending a ton of time researching and converting different bow speeds. In short, it’s only about 5-10 FPS slower than a v3x 33 in a direct comparison. When you stretch it out to the 32-34” draw range this bow was made for, it is effectively equivalent to any other bow. Simply put, it’s not fast on paper but it’s “hunting fast” (260-280 fps) for the draw range it’s designed for. If you built lighter weight arrows like an x impact it would then make this bow target fast (280-300 fps).
For someone with a 31.5" draw length, would you go with the Atlas or V3X? I guess pros would be 31.5 is the very top of the V3X DL, so you'd have a faster arrow, but being 6'4 - would you be concerned the geometry of the V3X wouldn't be as ideal as the Atlas?

Use case would be primarily western hunting

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
For someone with a 31.5" draw length, would you go with the Atlas or V3X? I guess pros would be 31.5 is the very top of the V3X DL, so you'd have a faster arrow, but being 6'4 - would you be concerned the geometry of the V3X wouldn't be as ideal as the Atlas?

Use case would be primarily western hunting
Ordinarily I wouldn’t comment on this as I haven’t bought either yet. BUTTTT I did just compare them side by side the other day to decide which one I want to buy. If I were you I’d try out the v3x in person. When I went back and forth I noticed just a slight bit of head lean when using the v3x at 31.5. However, the atlas had an almost perfect string angle at 32” for me. It’s a very subtle difference but it is there. The v3x is a very slightly better bow. The biggest reason why is the SAS and bridge lock tech. Otherwise they have their trade offs. Atlas is smoother to draw but has a hint of vibration the v3x doesnt have. I ended up deciding to go with the atlas just because of how well it fit at 32”. However, if the v3x would have gone to 32” I probably would have picked it just because of SAS.

If you read my earlier post the v3x is only about 5-10 FPS faster than the atlas. So arrow speed isn’t that much better. If you’re running greater than 550 grain arrows and only 60lbs draw then you would probably want the v3x per my calcs.

Shutler

FNG
What will you be using it for? Think it's too heavy to lug around on a backpack hunt?
Purchased the Atlas in the summer (after my limbs cracked on an older Matthews bow) and used it to pursue elk this fall for 6 days on a backpack hunt. Wasn’t bad to carry around. Had a 9” stabilizer and it got caught on a few branches here and there. Might try to shorten that up abs see how it still shoots.