Maven B2 9x45 - my thoughts

strand

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a bit long winded, and this is in no way a technical review, but rather my opinions comparing the binos I’ve used over the past 6-7 years to the Maven B2’s.

2009ish – I go in to a sporting goods store with a $500 budget for new binos. I get a little sticker shock, so right away I bump that limit up to $1000 if needed and start shopping. I look through a few pair that are out of my price range, then the salesman turns me on to the Vortex Viper 10x42’s. I had never heard of Vortex before that, but like the looks of the binos and the lifetime warranty sounded great. He had the HD’s for $600 and the non-HD version for a little less since they were being discontinued. After looking them over and spending some time outside with them, I decide on the HD’s. After that, I decided I was done buying binos and these would last the rest of my life, no upgrade necessary from here on out. I was coming from the Nikon Action series being the best thing I had handled up to that point, so anything was a pretty big upgrade. Fast forward to September 2016, and I’m on a hunt with a good friend who just bought a new pair of Razor HD 10x42’s. I spent some time looking through those and immediately notice improvements over my Vipers. Now even though they were an improvement, the Razors weren’t making me run out to the store and pick up a new pair that day. I liked the improved clarity and brightness, but it wasn’t worth the extra $500 over my Vipers. Of course after looking through something better, I start feeling like my Vipers just aren’t quite cutting it any more. Low light left something to be desired. While glassing big wide open country, the FOV starts feeling a little cramped, and I find myself spending too much time panning at first/last light trying to catch animals moving. So I decide I need something better and start looking at more expensive glass.

This search quickly turns me on to Maven and I start reading the few reviews available for their B1 and B2 offerings. After a couple hours looking at the B2’s I decide I need to try a pair, and wound up picking up a like new set of 9x45’s from Robby here on Rokslide. I don’t know a lot about technical specs, coatings, light transmission, etc. but I do know when my eyes like the glass they are looking through.

FOV - Right away I notice the FOV is much wider than my Vipers, and even though the image isn’t perfectly clear right up to the edge, it’s clear enough that if a critter is moving through the edge of my FOV, I’ll be able to pick up movement. I don’t want to bash on the Vipers as I think they are still a good pair of binos for the money, but compared to the FOV of the B2’s it feels like I’m looking at a cropped image when looking through my Vipers. If FOV is what you’re after, the 9x45 B2’s are the best I’ve used.

Color - I don’t know what causes this, but the color looking through the Mavens is an improvement for me from both the Vipers and the Razors. The Razors have a blue/greenish tint to my eyes, and the colors through my Vipers are just flat/dull. I never really noticed this until looking through better glass, but now that I’ve seen it it’s tough to ignore. This is probably a very personal thing, but the color through the Mavens look more rich and real than my Vipers.

Low Light – I’ve gained about 10-15 minutes of additional glassing light in most dawn/dusk situations with the Mavens. I did spend a couple mornings and evenings doing side-by-side tests with both the Vipers and the B2’s, so that’s where the 10-15 minute estimate is coming from. I almost always pack my 85mm Razor HD spotter, even on a 9 day backpack rifle elk hunt 7-10 miles in to a wilderness area. I’m addicted to the big glass. Long story short, I’ll be on the hunt for a spotter that extends my low light glassing time. The 85mm Razor does a good job, but it can’t keep up with the B2’s. I’m scared at how much money low light performance will cost me in a big spotter….

Size/Weight – The B2’s are big compared to my Vipers, no getting around it. I like the way they fit without any lens covers in place in my AGC Cub Max bino harness. I tried to use them in the AGC harness with the lens covers on, and it’s just too tight for me. I don’t notice the extra weight in the AGC harness, so that’s a non-issue. I do like the way they feel in my hand though. They balance really well in my hands, and are a touch better offhand than the 10x42 Vipers. I’m running my binos on a tripod 90% of the time anyways, but I do find myself glassing a little more offhand with these Mavens. Nothing more than a few minutes here and there, but I thought it’s worth mentioning.

Sunny Days/Shadows – wow do these things allow me to pick apart the shadows. I found the mule deer my wife shot this year, laying in a bed that I don’t think I would have been able to pick apart with my Vipers. I was looking straight into the mid afternoon sun in a deep/shady bed with overhanging earth and brush all around. Normally I would have to pull out my spotter to pick that bed apart, but the Mavens allowed me to find the buck’s outline in the shadows.

Few other little things that stuck out, the diopter adjustment on the Mavens is simple yet effective. Once set, I didn't have to adjust it during a glassing session, and it didn't move on me at all. I was a little worried since it doesn't 'lock' in place like some other binos do, but it stayed put when needed yet also adjusted smoothly. It feels very well put together. I also really like the aluminum (I think) focus wheel. It just felt better than the rubber focus knobs I'm used to. And of course I can't complete a review on the Maven's without talking about their gray/orange color scheme. They flat out look good.

I’m an eye-glasses wearer with astigmatism. The eye relief on the B2’s feels very generous. Listed specs for each are 16.5mm for the 10x42 Vipers and 17.3mm for the 9x45 B2. The numbers are close, but to my eyes the difference seems bigger. It could go back to the FOV again, tricking my eyes into thinking I’m getting a better picture. Either way, the B2’s should work well for anyone wearing eye glasses.

For reference, my total time looking through a pair of Swaro’s was all of 15 minutes about 6-7 years ago. I don’t have nearly the experience of some of the other known optics gurus on this site, and I normally don’t post much but I wanted to pass on my thoughts after this season. If there is anything else you want to know about that I forgot to cover here, please ask.

Firehawk

WKR
Your thoughts mirror mine as well. I am still just really pleased with these binos. I have the same grey/orange scheme. I compared at length to my Leica Duovid 8-12x42 and decided that the Mavens were better. I sold the Leicas last summer. I use the XL Kuiu bino harness and it works perfectly for my style of hunting. I also purchased the Field Optics Research tripod adapter system and leave the stud on my bino all the time.

Thank you for your review and I hope you have as much fun with yours as I am having with mine.

FH

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I think my 9x45 B2s are awesome. I hesitated because I thought they would be too heavy and large, but they are very well balanced and comfortable. I put them on a tripod with the Field Optics Research adapter too.

twall13

WKR
I did a similar write up awhile back. I was coming from some older Nikon Monarchs. The more I use my B2's the more I like them. There are lighter/more compact options out there but these are one of the better value binoculars on the market in my opinion.

OP
S

strand

Lil-Rokslider
I've never used Field Optics Research adapter, but I got turned on to the Outdoorsman's adapter last year and have converted all of my binos over to their studs. It's a really slick system... now I just need to save the dough for one of their heads. I've been running a manfrotto 128RC head on a Slik Pro 824 CF tripod. It's a heavy beast that I bought primarily for digiscoping with my big 85mm Razor, but once I started using it for my binos as well I got addicted. I know...all the UL guys are adding up that weight and cringing right now. It's heavy but so solid, and it helps me on those really long glassing sessions.

Ordered a pair on Amazon Prime Day, and putting them back in the box to return as we speak.

Pros: Love the fit and finish. Very crisp glass.

Neg: Couldn't get past the shadow I'd get with those eyecups, and the eye relief.

I was comparing them to my Vortex Viper HD 8x42's and I found I could really lean into the Vortex glass and get a more relaxing view. With the B2's, if I didn't have my eyes' positioned just right, I'd get shadow.

All in all, I just found them a lot less comfortable than my Vipers, even though the glass is superior. I can't see relying on them as my chest binos given the comfort level.

I'm sure it's just the fit/structure of my face, so YMMV.

Were the 9's on sale? I thought it was just the 11's. The 9's are one of the best optics out there, IMO.
Yep, they were on sale. I think the glass is outstanding. Just couldn't get the right fit with my face. The slightest movement left or right and I'm getting shadow. My Viper 8x42's are nowhere near as clear/bright, but just more comfortable and I don't get the blackout.

B2s are great optically and I loved mine. Sold them as they were simply too big and heavy compared to other options that offered similarly great optics but much better handling. Personally, I prefer the B6 10x50

twall13

WKR
You guys revived a really old thread but it's an interesting one for me to contemplate on. I've been using my B.2's for quite a few years now and have really grown to like them. My financial position has gotten better over the years and with the sales going on I upgraded to Swaro El's this year. I think I need more time to get used to them but there are definitely things I like better about my old Mavens. Don't get me wrong, the Swaro's are a better binocular, no question, but it's probably less so than I was expecting. I'm probably in the minority but I prefer the stiffer focus wheel of the Mavens as well as the more positive eye relief adjustment. The Swaro's just feel to loose with both of those adjustments for me and like I'm fiddling with them more. Again, it's probably just cause I've grown used to the Mavens over the years, but it made a difference in my user experience this year. The Swaro's also seemed to collect dust much more, not on the lenses, but in the eye relief adjustment. I can hear the dust and grit grinding on them and need to take them apart and clean them. I don't ever remember that happening with the Maven's.

The glass is better on the Swaro's but it's not a massive upgrade in most situations. I'm not planning on selling the Swaro's by any means, they are fantastic, but making the switch really opened my eyes to how good the Maven B.2 9x45's really are. For the price, they are incredible. Yes, they are big and heavy, but at the price point that's really the only complaint I'd have with them. Everyone has their preferences, which is why it's great there are so many good options out there right now. That said, I personally think the 9x45 Maven B.2's are pretty tough to beat dollar for dollar.

The glass is better on the Swaro's but it's not a massive upgrade in most situations. I'm not planning on selling the Swaro's by any means, they are fantastic, but making the switch really opened my eyes to how good the Maven B.2 9x45's really are. For the price, they are incredible. Yes, they are big and heavy, but at the price point that's really the only complaint I'd have with them.
I have been looking to switch away from my b2 9s for the weight...the Nikon HGs are likely the route I would go but not sure anymore.

Any other models you'd point to as being right there with the B2s as they compare to the Swaros?

twall13

WKR
I've heard good things about the Nikon Monarch HG's but haven't looked through them personally. My eyes really like Kowa glass, and if it wasn't for the lack of ability to install an outdoorsman stud to them, I think I might own a pair Kowa Genesis binoculars. You might also consider the Zeiss SFL's.as a great option, those are supposed to be really light if the Mavens bother you in that regard.

That said, I'm far from an expert on Binos and your needs and preferences might be different than mine. Matt Cashell has done a lot of really thorough optics reviews on this site (including one on the Nikon's you mentioned if I remember right), it's probably worth looking into some of those as you research.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Firehawk

WKR
The glass is better on the Swaro's but it's not a massive upgrade in most situations. I'm not planning on selling the Swaro's by any means, they are fantastic, but making the switch really opened my eyes to how good the Maven B.2 9x45's really are. For the price, they are incredible. Yes, they are big and heavy, but at the price point that's really the only complaint I'd have with them. Everyone has their preferences, which is why it's great there are so many good options out there right now. That said, I personally think the 9x45 Maven B.2's are pretty tough to beat dollar for dollar.
I did the same thing. I used my Maven B2 9x45 for six years roughly. But ultimately I ended up with a Swarovski EL 8.5x42 that I picked up here used. They are terrific. I haven't noticed the grit or dirt collection on mine yet, so I will keep my eyes out for that. I carry them in a Marsupial Enclosed case, so that probably helps a lot.

My Maven B2 9x45 was so good that I would go back to them in a heartbeat if I needed the funds and had to sell the Swaro. The glass is so close between the two to me, but the Swaro is better. I like the eye cups better on the Swaro and I like the slimmer size and lighter weight, but quite honestly never really noticed that the Mavens were heavy. They balanced so well in my hands and purposes that it may have lessened that effect for me. Depth of field is better on the 9x45 vs the B2 11x45 from my experience, but the Swaro EL is better than the B2 in that regard.

Besides making a good product, I find myself just rooting for Maven to be successful as well. I like their business model and their customer service has been stellar in my limited experience. Because of this, I will likely always have some Maven products in my arsenal. Currently we have a C1 8x42 bino and an S2 spotter.

twall13

WKR
I did the same thing. I used my Maven B2 9x45 for six years roughly. But ultimately I ended up with a Swarovski EL 8.5x42 that I picked up here used. They are terrific. I haven't noticed the grit or dirt collection on mine yet, so I will keep my eyes out for that. I carry them in a Marsupial Enclosed case, so that probably helps a lot.

My Maven B2 9x45 was so good that I would go back to them in a heartbeat if I needed the funds and had to sell the Swaro. The glass is so close between the two to me, but the Swaro is better. I like the eye cups better on the Swaro and I like the slimmer size and lighter weight, but quite honestly never really noticed that the Mavens were heavy. They balanced so well in my hands and purposes that it may have lessened that effect for me. Depth of field is better on the 9x445 vs the B2 11x45 from my experience, but the Swaro EL is better than the B2 in that regard.

Besides making a good product, I find myself just rooting for Maven to be successful as well. I like their business model and their customer service has been stellar in my limited experience. Because of this, I will likely always have some Maven products in my arsenal. Currently we have a C1 8x42 bino and an S2 spotter.
Sounds like we have had pretty similar experiences between the two. I went with the 8.5x42 Swaro EL's as well and there's no question they are better glass. I'd never dispute that and I'm very happy with them. That said, even on sale, they are about twice what I paid for the Maven B.2 9x45's years ago and they certainly aren't two times better than the Mavens. Again, it's nice that there are great options at different price points for people to decide what works for them and their budget.

I have been looking to switch away from my b2 9s for the weight...the Nikon HGs are likely the route I would go but not sure anymore.

Any other models you'd point to as being right there with the B2s as they compare to the Swaros?

I think it's B2 or Swaros. I don't think anything that drops weight will improve or even match the B2's optically.

The Zeiss are pretty damn good optically, but similarly large/heavy to the B2's.

I think it's B2 or Swaros. I don't think anything that drops weight will improve or even match the B2's optically.

The Zeiss are pretty damn good optically, but similarly large/heavy to the B2's.
Okay wait so your encompassing all comparable binos in that statement?

Okay wait so your encompassing all comparable binos in that statement?

Yes. It is my opinion that no one utilizes roof prisms as well as Swaro.

The Zeiss and the Maven both have Abbe-Koenig prisms, which I think contribute to the optical performance, but at a footprint cost.

Maybe the Leicas or some other alpha competitor are as good as Swaro, but to me to go from the cost of the Maven to the cost of the Swaro...everything in-between represents risk it won't be as good as the Swaro. You might be comfortable with that risk. All one can really do to mitigate is put hands on and see for yourself.

Firehawk

WKR
Sounds like we have had pretty similar experiences between the two. I went with the 8.5x42 Swaro EL's as well and there's no question they are better glass. I'd never dispute that and I'm very happy with them. That said, even on sale, they are about twice what I paid for the Maven B.2 9x45's years ago and they certainly aren't two times better than the Mavens. Again, it's nice that there are great options at different price points for people to decide what works for them and their budget.

Agreed. I bought my EL used and at a pretty fair discount. For me, it was worth it. But like I said above, I could use the B2 forever and be satisfied. But the EL is better just as you noted.

Yes. It is my opinion that no one utilizes roof prisms as well as Swaro.

The Zeiss and the Maven both have Abbe-Koenig prisms, which I think contribute to the optical performance, but at a footprint cost.

Maybe the Leicas or some other alpha competitor are as good as Swaro, but to me to go from the cost of the Maven to the cost of the Swaro...everything in-between represents risk it won't be as good as the Swaro. You might be comfortable with that risk. All one can really do to mitigate is put hands on and see for yourself.
Yeah I hear you - you're paying mid grade prices for Maven with certainty you're getting multiples of you're moneys worth in glass quality...while paying premium prices on Swaro comps doesn't offer the same value proposition.