Maven binoculars

I’m looking for some advice. I have been running vortex diamondback 10x50 for the last 2 seasons in the open western Nebraska. I’m now searching for an upgrade, I have looked at the maven c1s and c3s. I want a pair of 12 powers but with maven I’m disappointed at the FOV. I’ve read that even though they have a poor FOV the edges are so much more clearer than most. Do you all think it’s worth the upgrade? The vortex Binos will go to my wife so I can’t really sell them. I can swing $500 but I can’t do $1000 for binoculars.I would go with a set of vortex vipers but from what I’ve read mavens are superior glass. My main question is with the open country glassing that I do would you go with the 12 power or 10 power with mavens low FOV. Of course I almost always use a tripod. I also get a nice discount on maven but I can’t use it for the try before you buy program maven has so I would rather not go that route.

JGRaider

WKR
I'd never recommend a 12x anything for handheld, general purpose hunting. Tripods are mandatory if you're going to seriously glass for game with anything over 10x, and even a 10x is way better on a tripod.

In my opinion of you cant do $1000 this year id just wait and save up a little more. Or scoop some used mavens up, i think the b-2’s go for $800 typically. Maybe you can find a cheaper deal yet. I think youll still do some damage with diamond backs if your glassing properly. That being said im very happy woth my maven b-2’s.

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used my 9x45 B2’s out in Nebraska and never have felt like I needed more binocular than what I had. I think you would be way more happy with a used set of Maven B2’s than anything else close to the price range you’re after. I would save the extra little bit and scan the classifieds often. To me the Maven B2’s are the least amount of money you can spend and really get that wow factor. Also when it comes to magnification id rather have a crystal clear pair of 8x than a mediocre set of 12x’s.

Quon24

FNG
In my opinion of you cant do $1000 this year id just wait and save up a little more. Or scoop some used mavens up, i think the b-2’s go for $800 typically. Maybe you can find a cheaper deal yet. I think youll still do some damage with diamond backs if your glassing properly. That being said im very happy woth my maven b-2’s.
I agree with this. The difference between the vortex to the c1 or c3 will be noticeable for sure, but the difference between the vortex and b2 is night and day. I highly recommend saving for another year if you have to in order to get in the $1000 range. You won't regret it. I have the 9x45 b2 and have no desire for anything else. That's even after looking through the Swaro NL.

sektr

FNG
Definitely advise saving up. I went from Maven B3 to B1 and even noticed a difference there so imagine the jump from a C series is much more significant.

Especially given you want to go for higher magnification. Tough to get quality higher mag at lower prices.

If you’re between 10 and 12, sounds like an 11x B2 would be a good fit and I’ve heard plenty of people say they’re still manageable handheld.

westernwa

FNG
I agree with this. The difference between the vortex to the c1 or c3 will be noticeable for sure, but the difference between the vortex and b2 is night and day. I highly recommend saving for another year if you have to in order to get in the $1000 range. You won't regret it. I have the 9x45 b2 and have no desire for anything else. That's even after looking through the Swaro NL.
Completely agree. I went from the diamondback to the 11x B2s and they are amazing upgrade

HalfmanB

FNG
Couldn’t emphasize more what has been posted above. I was in the same boat. Was going to go from diamondbacks to vipers. Decided to hold off and save up a little longer and swing b2 9x. Holy smokes do yourself a favor and try to hold out and save a little more. If you don’t now you probably will someday anyways....

68Plexi

WKR
B1 and B2 from Maven are in another league above the diamondbacks or vipers. Noticeably. Save up. You’ll be glad you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wassid82

WKR
I found that 12's are too powerful for me. I tend to shake too much. I use 10's because it works out better for me on free hand looking sessions. If I were only glassing from a small tripod I would strongly consider the 12's but that doesn't happen often enough for me to bump up to higher magnification.

mechengr

FNG
I have the C3 12s and have been amazed for the price I paid. IMO the field of view was disappointing on paper but is really not all that noticeable in the field. Was able to compare them directly with a Vortex Razor 12x50 both on tripods and clarity/resolution/color were shockingly close to my eyes, I was only able to compare them in ideal mid day lighting conditions though. The larger field of view was noticeable if you pay attention on the Razors but the Mavens are not bad by any means.

I've also in the past compared my C3 12x50s with some 10x42s both on tripods and I personally liked the slightly higher magnification for picking out details vs the larger field of view of the 10s. And yes, the stories about edge to edge clarity hold true in my example too, I've probably got a bit of confirmation bias but they really do seem to be a fantastic budget option for tripod glassing

Mojave

WKR
I have a pair of 12x50 Swarovski EL's and I am probably going to sell them. I concur, even with top end glass 12 is too much hand held.

TheGDog

WKR
Spend the money. Get the $1000+ glass. (try to find it used for less) It'll sting, but you'll be jazzed when you use them and happy that you did it.

Otherwise you'll end up with a home littered with all the in-between glass you stepped-up to over time, and spent more for.

nwelsh

FNG
New to the forum. I own a pair of B2s in 11x45 for use in big, wide open, relatively flat spaces. Razor sharp optics edge to edge. Agree with everyone on saving until you can afford a what will likely be a lifetime gear purchase. Hand held use does not bother me at all. FOV is the only issue I have. If possible, try the 9x45s. The only other thing I would add is that the Maven B series is made in the USA, which was a factor in my choice when upgrading my optics.

OP
Forkieslayer
Thanks everyone for the help. I’m convinced I need to join the Maven team now

I owned a set of Maven B2 9x45s. Overall they had fine optics and build quality, especially for the price point. One of the few models available with Abbe-Koenig Prisms. IMO they are a better overall glass than the Vipers. My only real complaint was they were just too big and heavy for all-around use.

Get the C series. So much better than diamondback. I have three hunting buddies who just happen to have a lot of binos to compare. One uses diamondback 10x worst of the bunch. One uses some higher end vortex snd the maven c series is better.

I use a c.1 in 10x42 and it’s fairly close to the b series from maven. But both mavens beat all the vortex in my not so expert opinion.

For $350 you won’t be disappointed. I don’t see any reason for me to spend $1000 on glass. But then again, I have never owed $1000 glass.