Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44mm SHR-Mil Q&A

SDHNTR

WKR
Only if the target audience cares enough to understand the situation and follow through with their dollars, which they likely won’t.
I would. Come out and be forthright and I would buy one immediately, at least one.

Last edited:
Seems like a bad business practice to pick on the demographic that you’ve admitted is paying the bills. I have a couple RS1.2’s, and although I’m not going to ditch them, that alone makes me think I won’t purchase another.

It wasn't that bad IMO as far as joking about folks who sent broken scopes in. If they replaced em i think they earned the right to poke some fun the other way. It woulda been cool to hear them embrace some of this stuff or sound more familiar with it though.

tibo

FNG
The RS.5 is a totally different scope design- they aren’t the same. Maven states that the RS1 and RS1.2 “are the same scope”. They were supposed to send an RS1 to Ryan to be evaled, but haven’t so far.

Initially several were told that the RS1.2 was spec’d to be more durable/reliable. However the “official” answer is that it was not. Nothing was done to the RS1 to make the RS1.2 save the reticle and external turret. So- if they didn’t change anything, the RS1 just happens to be good at holding zero.

In any case, I would not expect them to put effort into making any more scopes work like the RS1.2.

No. The RS.5 is a completely different scope. I have seen and used several different Maven scopes- the RS1.2 is the only model I am personally using.
Thanks, I was hesitating between a NX8 and the RS1.2 that helped a lot. I prefer to stick with a brand for which zero retention is a priority.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks, I was hesitating between a NX8 and the RS1.2 that helped a lot. I prefer to stick with a brand for which zero retention is a priority.

The RS1.2 is a better general hunting scope than anything NF offers. That Maven may, or may not make or care about any more scopes that are durable, doesn’t mean that the RS1.2 isn’t.

I have/had both of the scopes referenced in your post. While I don't have anywhere near the amount of shooting and banging around on the Maven that I do on several NF's, the mil RS 1.2 reticle is far superior to NF offerings IME; further, I've used the Maven enough to state that I will be taking it afield more over the summer/fall while several NF's will see less use.

tibo

FNG
The RS1.2 is a better general hunting scope than anything NF offers. That Maven may, or may not make or care about any more scopes that are durable, doesn’t mean that the RS1.2 isn’t.
yes I hear you on that. All is hypothetical of course (Maven caring/not caring): My point is IF a brand doesn't care/give importance to zero hold, then the probability is high there is no production QC process in place to monitor zero hold performance.
One day something will change in their production process, grade of material, tolerances on a machine ect ect, which will affect zero hold. With no QC on this it won't be picked up until quite a few unit are out. While NF impact test their scope as part of production QC.

wnelson14

WKR
Yes. They freely admit that they’ve sold more RS1.2’s than anything. They also admit it was due to Rokslide. Yet, they did a podcast recently where they talked a bit about the drop eval and Rokslide. Besides getting details incorrect, it was also clear that they didn’t really care.
Can we get the name of the podcast?
Searched and couldn’t find anything recent.
Thank you

sndmn11

WKR
I thought NF did. I believe…. They beat all their scopes on a rubber surface then put them on a mount to check they retain zero.
I've seen some sort of put a scope in a rest/clamp, look through it, remove, whack, put back in the rest sort of thing. The removal then reinstall didn't come across as anything more than "it didn't break" because it didn't appear to be repeatable or precise.

Cade and I talked about the zero retention testing for quite a while before I wrote that review. He was more familiar than I expected, I might have to try and listen to the podcast now. It would be my first!

Ive been really happy with my Maven RS1.2 and plan to put another one or two on hunting rifles.

It’s kind of a bummer there seems to be no clear communication on why the RS1.2 is better and that we shouldn’t expect that in their other scopes. But if the RS1.2 works it works. Guys still want SWFA even though they can’t produce any scopes for over a year.

I’m still hopeful we will find the Stockys of the scope world. Someone that’s willing to listen, test properly, and include the reticles and features most of us here want/need. Maven obviously CAN do it. Where’s Sightron, Vortex, Bushnell or the others???