Maven rs1.2 and tract toric the same?

Stu_H

FNG
I have a question I hope is not too ignorant. I am comparing a Maven RS1.2 2.5x15 44mm mil scope with a Tract Toric 2.5x15 44mm scope and thy look identical to me. What is the difference? Is it possible a third party makes both scopes and then brands them under different names? Thanks for any help.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
Both scopes are made by LOW (Light Optic Works) an OEM in Japan that makes scopes for many many companies. The Tract, Maven, and the Trijicon 2.5-15 are all made by LOW.

OEMs generally have a range of base model scopes that companies can choose from, for the most part the scopes will be the same internally with the reticle and the "industrial design " (the way it looks, turrets, colour etc) being the main differences.

There may be some small internal differences between the scopes but likely the only people who know what these differences are are LOW themselves and there is zero chance they'll tell you what differences have been made.

Macintosh

WKR
And there could be significant component and assembly differences and that would be invisible without tearing one apart. Only one way to find out.

OP
S

Stu_H

FNG
thank you all for your insights. i thought it might be something like that but the fact that the maven passed the drop test seems worth the price difference. So does Swarovski, Zeiss , Kahles , Zero Compromise and Kowa have proprietary glass/ or do the outsouce too. sorry if imasking dumb questions. thanks in avance

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
thank you all for your insights. i thought it might be something like that but the fact that the maven passed the drop test seems worth the price difference. So does Swarovski, Zeiss , Kahles , Zero Compromise and Kowa have proprietary glass/ or do the outsouce too. sorry if imasking dumb questions. thanks in avance
Kahles, ZCO, Swaro and Ziess all make scopes themselves but also outsource some of their models.
They are all European companies so any outsourced scopes will likely be labeled made in Japan or China.

It's very hard to know exactly where scopes are made in many instances, Leupold have some scopes that are "Designed, machined and Assembled" in the USA but the parts could come from anywhere.

Leica make their PRS scope which includes some parts from LOW in Japan.
Some Japanese OEMs use parts made in other factories outside of Japan.
Vortex make some of their own scopes in the USA, but also OEM scopes to Japan, Phillipines and China from many different OEMs.

For the most part it's not worth worrying about where a scope is made and by who as you will never know the full details.
Each scope should be assessed on it's own merits and with it's own testing.

For example:
The Vortex PST Gen 1 and Gen 2 are both made in the Phillipines but by different OEMs.
The SWFA SS10 and SS10hd are both made in Japan but by different OEMs.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
And there could be significant component and assembly differences and that would be invisible without tearing one apart. Only one way to find out.
You likely wouldn't be able to tell my tearing one apart.
Maven have said there were no significant changes internally between the RS1 and RS1.2.

Macintosh

WKR
You likely wouldn't be able to tell my tearing one apart.
Maven have said there were no significant changes internally between the RS1 and RS1.2.
And yet there are apparent changes in function. And to be fair, the question was also maven vs tract, not maven vs maven. Regardless, none of us knows what “significant” means in this case, especially coming from a marketing or customer service person, as opposed to an engineer or product developer. Does it mean its the same, does it mean its the same but from a different material, closer tolerances, glued instead of pressure fit, one type or strength of spring versus another, etc??? Or “different but we’re downplaying that”? Devil is always in the details, and while, yes, no one will be able to see the difference between adding a zero to your tolerance, it’s entirely likely that changes which don’t appear in the basic website specifications result in different performance (and pricing). Bottom line, a manufacturer can certainly offer the same boilerplate products to various companies, but it’s entirely likely a top-tier manufacturer such as LOW frequently gets each company give them different specifications for all of the various parts and assembly processes, even if there are many visible similarities.

Last edited:
OP
S

Stu_H

FNG
tthank you for taking the time to educate me. i am very appreciative. lots of excellent info!

Hotmail

FNG
I have their higher end high magnification versions and the Maven RS4 with Japanese glass is clearer than my Tract Toric ELR with German Schott HT glass.