Maven's new CS1 15-45 spotter

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
Just got the email announcement. This looks to be in same ball park of the Athlon Ares 15-45 which I have. I'd be excited to see some reviews of this CS1. I know the C1 binos get high praise for price. And I love my B3 binos. Interested if this would be a step up over the gen 1 Ares in the compact spotter arena

SoDak_23

FNG
I had just bought the Leupold SX-4 2 weeks ago. Received the Maven e-mail today and already own a pair of C.1 12x50 binoculars so I ordered the C.1 Spotter today. 3 inches shorter and 20 oz lighter seem ideal to me. Will more than likely be returning the SX-4 in the near future. Thankfully kept the receipt.

I think the front runner in this category/price range is the Nikon Fieldscope ED50 so I’m eager to see how they stack up against each other

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at possibly getting the Ares but this interests me as well. It appears it doesn't have a sunshade and there is no case for it yet. Not sure if the sunshade is a big deal though.

SoDak_23

FNG
I was looking at possibly getting the Ares but this interests me as well. It appears it doesn't have a sunshade and there is no case for it yet. Not sure if the sunshade is a big deal though.

I do not have a ton of experience with this. Anyone else want to chime in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mhahn2

Lil-Rokslider
Another person interested to see a comparison between the ares uhd and the new maven.

MT Bill

FNG
I was about to pull the trigger on an Athon Ares Gen2 until I saw the email. So I'm interested in seeing a review/comparison too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
I am interested in the comparison. Not sure i will trade my Kowa 664 though

I am interested in the comparison. Not sure i will trade my Kowa 664 though
What is the weight of your Kowa 664? That was on the short list of spotters I was willing to pack. Currently running with a Vanguard Endeavor 20-60x80 but I do not pack it.

ZackP

WKR
I was about to pull the trigger on an Athon Ares Gen2 until I saw the email. So I'm interested in seeing a review/comparison too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I pulled the trigger on the Gen2 about 2 months ago. Honestly judging by the specs of both, and country of origin I would assume these are almost manufactured right next to each other. Hell they even look similar.

That being said I LOVE the Ares. I would put it in direct comparison to the Razor, and would still choose the Ares based off of size and weight. Who knows I may have to order one of these for the wife when she’s ready for her own!

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
I weighed the 664 with 30 power eyepiece and scope cover at 47 oz. I am fine with extra weight leaving the scope cover on. The 30 power is crystal clear...

Like the rest of you guys I’m also looking at the Athlon Ares 65mm and was fixing to pull the trigger then bam Maven drops this new spotter BUT what has me concerned with the Maven is. The video they released on social Media says it has a polymer frame and the website has it listed as Lightweight Magnesium / Aluminum Frame. If the website is correct I don’t think you could go wrong with the Maven. But if the video is correct then I’ll have a hard pass on the Maven and stick with the Athlon.

Well Maven just got back to me.

Yup, good catch! We had a mistake in our specs at the time the vid was made and couldn’t change it in time. Magnesium and aluminum is correct. While polymer is a solid material for an optic housing, the magnesium/aluminum is also a solid choice to keep the weight down.

sndmn11

WKR
Like the rest of you guys I’m also looking at the Athlon Ares 65mm and was fixing to pull the trigger then bam Maven drops this new spotter BUT what has me concerned with the Maven is. The video they released on social Media says it has a polymer frame and the website has it listed as Lightweight Magnesium / Aluminum Frame. If the website is correct I don’t think you could go wrong with the Maven. But if the video is correct then I’ll have a hard pass on the Maven and stick with the Athlon.

Here is what Cade told me the other day because I noticed the same descrepency. "it is an aluminum and magnesium construction. While there are some polymer elements they are not foundational. FL is the top glass in the world, but it is expensive and tough to work with. It is a higher grade than even the Green euro brand uses. The ED in this lens is fantastic. This spotter is a C series, so just like the difference between our B series and C in binos, this will not perform as high as the Big 3 euro brnades (where the S series will) but I would out it against any sub-$1100 65mm on the market."

I had also asked about the real world difference between the flourite of the B series and the ED of the new C spotter.

Last edited: