Maven’s New Rangefinder RF.1 ***Review Added 5/3/21***

justpassingthru

Lil-Rokslider
I've taken the Maven on two hunts and to the archery range for a month now. My initial impression was great with it and overall it still is great. I have found the reticle to be at random brightness settings each time I seem to use it. One time it will be super bright and the next it will be super dim. Its not a huge deal since the wheel on the side can adjust it on the fly, but it is a little annoying. As far as the field mode goes, it takes some getting used to. If a guy isn't very steady, it is hard to get an accurate result. I don't quite trust shooting through grass or trees with the reading the forest mode is giving since it doesn't seem to be consistent. In the wide open, the rangefinder is great. I've got readings on cows well over a mile. It is difficult to get an accurate reading on things over 700 yards in forest mode since it tries to keep scanning for the furthest range. Overall I am happy with it and love being able to quick use it as a monocular with the clear 7x glass. The menu settings are user friendly and the ability to switch between field and forest mode is very easy. Love the option to switch reticles as well.

justpassingthru

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the review. Trying to hold one of these little rangefinders steady can be challenging. Makes me wonder if i’d be better to going the rangefinding binocular route.

Thanks for the review. Trying to hold one of these little rangefinders steady can be challenging. Makes me wonder if i’d be better to going the rangefinding binocular route.
To each there own but I personally feel like the range finding binoculars don't quite have the quality of glass as straight up binoculars. I also run the Maven B2 9x45's and have liked them over Vortex Razors, Sig Kilo rangefinding binos, Nikons and Bushnells. They seem to be clearer and have better light transmission than all of those others I have used. They are heavier, but I got used to the extra bulkiness within a few weeks and haven't looked back since.

SharkDog

FNG
Does anyone know how this would compare to a Leica 2400r? I just picked one up to demo and really like it but am willing to wait if the Maven has better glass or performance then the Leica. Unfortunately they're still not in stock :(

I am wondering about this as well. I can get a new Leica CRF 2400 rangemaster for $415 or get the Maven. Any head to head feedback?

sndmn11

WKR
I am wondering about this as well. I can get a new Leica CRF 2400 rangemaster for $415 or get the Maven. Any head to head feedback?
I do not, but I wrote the review and am in Morrison if you want to meet up and play with it. I have hunted every season except the moose/sheep/goats and have not had anything happen that made me think about my rangefinder.

SharkDog

FNG
I do not, but I wrote the review and am in Morrison if you want to meet up and play with it. I have hunted every season except the moose/sheep/goats and have not had anything happen that made me think about my rangefinder.
That is a great offer. Thanks Kyle!

DanN

FNG
I already received my rf.1 and can say it's a big upgrade over the Vortex Ranger 1300 I had been using previously. The glass is more than clear enough for my use and I've gotten quick ranges on pretty much everything I've pointed it at. The knob on the side is surprisingly helpful for navigating the menu, which was something I always had to figure out on the Ranger through trial and error. I also like being able to quickly switch between the "field" an "forest" modes. The downside to the knob is something I haven't yet found a solution for: finding a pouch that it slides easily into and out of. Based on the published dimensions of HxWxD - 4.6875"x3.0625"x1.875" I picked up the marsupial gear rangefinder pouch which has published dimensions of HxWxD - 5"x3.5"x2". It does fit in the pouch, although getting it out is close to being a two handed affair. I can wiggle it out with one hand, but it's not quick. Perhaps I just need to do it a lot to stretch out the pouch.

@sndmn11 If you have a suggestion for rangefinder pouch that is a tiny bit roomier, I'm all ears!
Thanks for the info. Alway appreciate detailed specs in looking for a future purchase. Good Hunting! -Dan

zandroid

FNG
Thanks for the review. This is an interesting looking rangefinder, but I'm not sure about the knob and the forest/field modes seem odd.

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
The rangefinder performed flawlessly out west and my guide wanted to buy mine after using it, I would never sell it as it worked so well. It was spot on with all calculations and if the shooters were better we would have done better

Bak222

FNG
I know this is an older thread, but any comparison of the maven to the Vortex Razor HD4000? Im debating between these two at the moment. Thanks

sndmn11

WKR
Found out this morning from Maven that the RF.1 scan function has been "corrected".

Within my review, I mentioned the RF.1's scan mode being limited to in/out based on if it was in field/forest mode. Apparently Maven heeded my experience and corrected this shortly after launch. All current production RF.1s scan freely in or out regardless of if they are on field/forest mode.

Sled

WKR
Any news on a second generation? Maybe one with improved controls or a smaller package?

Thanks for your rf.1 and crf.1 reviews @sndmn11. I’m red colorblind and have been looking for a rangefinder with a display I can see easily. For comparison, I have a hard time with the red displays of Leica but I can see the more orange display of the vortex razors well. It looks like the rf.1 is more similar to the color of the vortex display, but I would appreciate your opinion if my impression is reality.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks for your rf.1 and crf.1 reviews @sndmn11. I’m red colorblind and have been looking for a rangefinder with a display I can see easily. For comparison, I have a hard time with the red displays of Leica but I can see the more orange display of the vortex razors well. It looks like the rf.1 is more similar to the color of the vortex display, but I would appreciate your opinion if my impression is reality.

That is something that never crossed my mind!

The CRF.1 I would describe as a true brick red that is somewhat matte. I have to viewed through Leica, but I do not believe the CRF.1 would work well for you other than the fact that the illumination can be turned off.

The RF.1 (I never noticed this until two minutes ago) is like an orange-red, but id call it 25% orange and 75% red. It is more orange than the Nikon Black 4k, a Trijicon MRO, and Vortex AMG Holographic sights.

Let's see if this experiment works...
Coral from this link
From this link: Bittersweet, Tomato, Orange Red, International Orange, Safety Orange, all might be close. https://www.eggradients.com/shades-of-orange

My method for choosing these was to turn the RF.1 on and put the dot on the color on my computer screen, while keeping my other eye open. Nothing blended really good and I think my brain blended the image and the dot a bit.

If you have a specific model of red dot optic that I can go to Sportsman's and look it for comparison, I surely can. I would call Mollie at Maven and see if she can turn up some experiences with color blind folks.

Lastly, there is a RF.1 demo that I think includes return shipping. https://mavenbuilt.com/collections/demo-units/products/demo-unit-rf-1