McGowan custom barrel - week 12...

They killin' me now. LOL

Got an email 2 weeks ago saying the 1st of two custom barrels I ordered had "gone to the gunsmith" and that it should be "done next week." That was last week. Every day I come home form work now, the first thing I do is look for a barrel-shaped package. LOL

Such 1st world problems... ha. ha.

Tell me your best "waiting on a barrel" coping story. :D

wyosam

WKR
You should be really close. I got the same “next week”. It funny, I ordered 4 barrels from late summer until almost Christmas, all spaced out. They all came within 10 days of each other. If my experiences with McGowan are an indication it will be well worth the wait!

I killed time by loading up my initial ladders with several projectiles and powder for each. Loaded them all long, so all I had to do was set seating depth once I had them put together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
i have way too many to pick just one.

the latest was a stock. ordered on june 20, 2019 and just recieved. well there is a little more to it as he also glued the bat action into it after he built the stock.

the smithey had the barrel for it for a whole year.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
You should be really close. I got the same “next week”. It funny, I ordered 4 barrels from late summer until almost Christmas, all spaced out. They all came within 10 days of each other. If my experiences with McGowan are an indication it will be well worth the wait!

I killed time by loading up my initial ladders with several projectiles and powder for each. Loaded them all long, so all I had to do was set seating depth once I had them put together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh man, I've been SO CLOSE to loading my ladders about 10 times now. LOL But I've held off. SO FAR.

I like hearing that it will be worth the wait. These are my first 2 custom barrels, and I can't wait to see how they shoot.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
i have way too many to pick just one.

the latest was a stock. ordered on june 20, 2019 and just recieved. well there is a little more to it as he also glued the bat action into it after he built the stock.

the smithey had the barrel for it for a whole year.
Holy cow! That would drive a guy crazy!

Still waiting for my rifle I was told would be done in February. Oh well. I am hoping its worth the wait. From all the stories one reads I went in with the expectation it would be a month or 2 late.

gbflyer

WKR
Timely subject. I ordered a McGowan contoured and fluted blank in .308 bore about a month ago. I got a call on Monday that it’s ready to ship! Very good production time and super nice, responsive folks there. It will be my first from them, hopefully several more.

They killin' me now. LOL

Got an email 2 weeks ago saying the 1st of two custom barrels I ordered had "gone to the gunsmith" and that it should be "done next week." That was last week. Every day I come home form work now, the first thing I do is look for a barrel-shaped package. LOL

Such 1st world problems... ha. ha.

Tell me your best "waiting on a barrel" coping story. :D
What did they initially quote you for a turn around, and how many weeks out were you before you got the email? They told me 13 weeks from when they received it, on 1/6. Thirteen weeks was yesterday, 4/7. Haven't heard anything yet...Thanks. Hope yours arrives soon.

OP
Newtosavage
Timely subject. I ordered a McGowan contoured and fluted blank in .308 bore about a month ago. I got a call on Monday that it’s ready to ship! Very good production time and super nice, responsive folks there. It will be my first from them, hopefully several more.
Damn. That's fast! Probably had it partially done already when you ordered it I'm guessing?

OP
Newtosavage
What did they initially quote you for a turn around, and how many weeks out were you before you got the email? They told me 13 weeks from when they received it, on 1/6. Thirteen weeks was yesterday, 4/7. Haven't heard anything yet...Thanks. Hope yours arrives soon.
I ordered mine in mid-January and was told to expect 10 weeks. So at 10 weeks, I sent a polite email inquiring about the status and that's when I got the "it's going to the smith next week" response. That was 3 weeks ago now. I'm sure they get a million "where's my barrel" questions and I don't want to be that guy. So I'm making myself stay patient. But it ain't easy.

I had hoped to get it and do some initial load workup before the daytime temps hit 90+ here. Not sure that's gonna happen now. My range trips take SO much longer when it's warm. If I can get to the range on a 50 degree day, I can be done in an hour. If I get there on a 90 degree day, it's usually 3 hours.

I really need to invest in a barrel cooler. But I also like working up my loads in the temps closer to what I expect to be hunting in. I guess on the bright side, if they are safe at 90-100 degrees, they will surely be safe at 40.

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a chambered barrel with action threads cut on 3/10, at the time I was told 10-12 weeks so I still have a while to go. I know the bench rest guys will turn their noses up at McGowen but there are plenty of reports out there saying they shoot wonderfully. I'm south of Houston so I know what you mean about having to let the barrel cool from the end of April to the end of October.

I ordered mine in mid-January and was told to expect 10 weeks. So at 10 weeks, I sent a polite email inquiring about the status and that's when I got the "it's going to the smith next week" response. That was 3 weeks ago now. I'm sure they get a million "where's my barrel" questions and I don't want to be that guy. So I'm making myself stay patient. But it ain't easy.

I had hoped to get it and do some initial load workup before the daytime temps hit 90+ here. Not sure that's gonna happen now. My range trips take SO much longer when it's warm. If I can get to the range on a 50 degree day, I can be done in an hour. If I get there on a 90 degree day, it's usually 3 hours.

I really need to invest in a barrel cooler. But I also like working up my loads in the temps closer to what I expect to be hunting in. I guess on the bright side, if they are safe at 90-100 degrees, they will surely be safe at 40.
I'm having them duplicate a Ruger 77RL ultra lite barrel contour and install it on the action. I'm sure that will entail some extra time.

I think I'll send an email asking for a status as well.

I hear ya with the heat. I'm in Fl., and we've already seen temps in the 90s. Wanted to set this up well before summer so I can take it on a muley hunt this fall, provided I draw a tag. Fingers crossed...

Good luck to you. Post back when you receive it!

NV HUNTER

WKR
Ordered 2 OMR carbon barrels (.257 and 28 nosler) I was told 8-12 weeks. Now I am being told 12-14. Hopefully by the end of the month.