McGowen Barrels, 6 months and still waiting.

hiker270

WKR
Ordered a McGowen barrel in 35 Whelen caliber for a Remington 700 action. Been 6 months now and still no barrel. Has anyone else had this long of a wait on a barrel? Has anyone tried to cancel the order and get their deposit back? This just seems like a long time to wait on a barrel. Really wanted to have this rifle together and ready to go for an elk hunt in Montana. Don't look like that's gonna happen.

Just wait until you actually get the barrel and the chamber and threads look like it was cut by a beaver.

I would get my money back just because they’re junk. The long wait is just a good reason to use.

Mine only took 3 months, which is exactly what they quoted me.

Mine also came exactly as I ordered it and is a shooter.

OP
hiker270

hiker270

WKR
Just wait until you actually get the barrel and the chamber and threads look like it was cut by a beaver.

I would get my money back just because they’re junk. The long wait is just a good reason to use.
Good idea. if its not perfect it goes back. If I ever get it!

atmat

WKR
There has been a lot written on this forum about the poor services, including final product, that McGowen puts out. If you can get a refund, I would.

Rooggvc

WKR

Just some food for thought. The consensus from my research and experience is their pre-fits and machining are a shot in the dark whether you get a good one. Their blanks seem like a good deal as long as you have your own smith do the chambering and finish work.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Friend of mine just bore scoped his that came in, well past the lead time quote. His CS interactions were abysmal. He reports the inside of the barrel looks like garbage. For comparison he has a new ACE he got a few weeks after, night and day difference.

OP
hiker270

hiker270

WKR
Happy to report my barrel finally arrived. Really happy to say the barrel seems perfect. Installed it on an older Rem. 700 and tried some factory Remington and Winchester ammo along with some handloaded Hornady 200 gr PSP with Varget as the powder and they all shot MOA. I will probably tinker around with some other bullets and powder but so far I couldn't be happier.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
Happy to report my barrel finally arrived. Really happy to say the barrel seems perfect. Installed it on an older Rem. 700 and tried some factory Remington and Winchester ammo along with some handloaded Hornady 200 gr PSP with Varget as the powder and they all shot MOA. I will probably tinker around with some other bullets and powder but so far I couldn't be happier.
IMR 3031 and 180gr TTSX have been good in my 35 Whelen AI, but that's my deer load.

I've tried hammer 254gr and they are a bit longer than I'd like, and man is the recoil noticeably stiffer than the 180s (I know, seems obvious). The 220gr hammers and 200gr TTSX seem to be the perfect length to fill the neck but not intrude into case capacity too much. I'm anxiously awaiting a tipped option from hammer, if/when they ever get it on the market.

The holy grail of 35 whelen bullets may be the 225 Accubond, but good luck finding any.20231006_135348.jpg

Last edited: