McGowen Lead Time

Tullis94

WKR
Has anyone ordered a prefit from McGowen lately? The website says at 12 week lead time, but it has said that for years. I'm just curious how long it has taken people to get their barrels recently. I have one on order but all he told me was that it it would likely be less time rather than more.

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
I have ordered a couple barrels from them in the past several months. One took 11 weeks and the second was shipped in 10 weeks.

OP
Tullis94

Tullis94

WKR
I have ordered a couple barrels from them in the past several months. One took 11 weeks and the second was shipped in 10 weeks.
Thats great. I am perfectly happy with 12 weeks but sooner would be great. Just trying to get a feel for when I will be getting all the parts. How are you liking the barrels so far?

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
Thats great. I am perfectly happy with 12 weeks but sooner would be great. Just trying to get a feel for when I will be getting all the parts. How are you liking the barrels so far?
I have used McGowen barrels for four builds: 6.5 creed, 6mm GT, .270 wsm, and a .300 PRC. The 6.5 and 6 mm are on PRS rifle builds and the .270 wsm and .300 PRC are on hunting rifles. Three are paired with origin actions and one is on a trued 700. All of the barrels are 1/2 moa rifles. Quite frankly, the barrels are better than my abilities.

bgipson

FNG
I won't buy another McGowen after the last 3 barrels I've received (2 uncut, 1 prefit). The first (.277 1-7") had chattering in the end of the barrel that required multiple inches be cut off. The 2nd (.264 1-7") had the same issue and the 20" barrel I planned with a 22" blank had to be cut to 19.5" to get to clean grooves. The third was a prefit .223AI and the chamber was so bad my Smith wasn't sure if I would be able to reload brass once it was fired in that chamber. All 3 have shot decent but been VERY picky with load workup. I'm sticking with Brux, Bartlein, Krieger, or similar from now on.

slowelk

WKR
Ten weeks on my last two barrels.

Honest question - do you think you get a different level of service in regard to wait-times? In this case I don't think 10 weeks is a significant enough deviation from the average to suggest that, I'm just curious. I'd have to think most people in the hunting realm know who you are and want to make you happy.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Honest question - do you think you get a different level of service in regard to wait-times? In this case I don't think 10 weeks is a significant enough deviation from the average to suggest that, I'm just curious. I'd have to think most people in the hunting realm know who you are and want to make you happy.
Good question, I don't know and I don't ask. I do pay the retail price for them.

Last one I got in early June was right at 12 weeks. The two before that were 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule. Just ordered another this morning so the countdown begins again.

ElPollo

WKR
I don't think so? I ordered a light profile with a muzzle flare to accommodate 5/8 threads.
I ordered a similar barrel, was quoted 12 weeks and got it in 11. I really like the option for a flared muzzle to accommodate 5/8” threading.

The last one I got took 9.5 weeks from order to delivery. (R700 prefit - Fluted and threaded .260" finished at 20")