American Rifle Company discontinuing The Nucleus? What should I get instead

I have been looking at getting an ARC Nucleus for a little while now and online always says out of stock and back order is unavailable.

I called them earlier today asking how I go about ordering one and was told they aren’t making them at the moment and don’t plan to for a “very long time.” That is why back order is unavailable. The lady told me their current production is focused on making mostly coup de grace actions and some mausingfeilds. She said she does not know when they will start production again but it’s not in the forceable future. Sounds like years? Which I honestly think they are just gonna discontinue the action, especially if everyone is wanting the CDG.

Building a 375 ruger and would like it to be done before hunting season next fall.

What action should I go with instead?

The CDG has always struck me as weird I guess? but I’m less apposed to it now that my options are limited. Already have a zermatt origin and want to try something new. Not looking to spend more then $1100. Would prefer CRF but it’s not a dealbreaker. I have been looking at bat igniter actions as well. What would you do?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pick up a used Nucleus is what I have done. They have parts to service.

I was quick on the original preorder and have an OG Nuke with single digit. I won’t sell it, but have bought and sold a couple others.

Sevens

WKR
What’s the purpose of the rifle? Alaska, African DG?

Maybe a Kelby Nanook? Not CRF, but ejection is manual.

OP
T
What’s the purpose of the rifle? Alaska, African DG?

Maybe a Kelby Nanook? Not CRF, but ejection is manual.
I guess it’s suppose to be a “modern day DG gun” wanted to build a rifle for when I move to Alaska in the next few years but could also use in iowa when I’m back home for deer season. We can only use 35 cal or larger for rifles during shotgun season.

khuber84

WKR
Zermatt with their small bolt lugs, don't hand magnum pressure that well, I'd keep looking for a nucleus or archimedes long action. Mausingfield open top hunting configuration is great, but quite a bit more expensive.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
As a fan of ARC actions I have a long action CDG and I think it would be perfect for what you are looking to use it for. With the .375 Ruger you could pick up an X-Caliber savage prefit barrel as you don’t require a coned breach.

Depending on the scope you could use the lightweight version, the standard is half a pound heavier but has the full rail for the most flexibility. I currently have mine built into a target rifle with a 26” .300 Win Mag barrel.

Is the CDG CRF? It seems like it’s a hybrid?

edit: weird it isn’t bdl compatible

Only the open top Mausingfield is BDL compatible, the rest are not as most people use DBMs anyway.

You can use Hawkins hunter DBM with a CDG correct?
You should be able to with a long action, my brother runs the Stocky’s M5 DBM with no issues. I am using an APA RTG with mine but the bottom metal sits lower due to a not quite correct stock inlet which makes it perfect for the CDG.

OP
T
Hasn’t realized till after I made this thread the the CDG has an integral rail and recoil lug?? I just assumed it wasn’t like the mausingfeild and nucleus. How the hell did they get the price so low with that?

Usually other manufactures charge 60+% for those features because of machining. I don’t know of any other action below $1500 With an integral rail. Definitely think the CDG is the route I’m gonna go. I’ll probably get the standard as I don’t want this build to be to light.

gbflyer

WKR
Early morning thoughts before the coffee kicks in:

I like to pretend I’m a gunsmith every couple of years and put one together. It’s fun. There are some nice actions out there.

A DG rifle build really isn’t the place for nearly every one of these custom actions. I have various different ones, Borden, Zermatt, Kelblys. They are all built to exacting tolerances that are going to give you problems in a life or limb scenario with dangerous game. Could be you drop in the mud, rain and snow freezes it up, etc. Sloppy = good, with positive feeding and extraction. The trigger mechanism should not be contained in a little sheet metal box, which eliminates nearly every custom. As much as it pains me to say it, I’d be looking for a CRF Winchester, Ruger, CZ, or an old Mauser for your DG rifle. Granite Mountain for a custom (heavy and bring lots of money). Accuracy generally comes from a good barrel, at least for hunting purposes. The whole floorplate/blind mag/detachable mag is another discussion that usually leads to the detachable mag being left for use elsewhere.

Like I said, I’ve fooled with a bunch of them and I am always in awe of the precision products these guys are able to produce. I’ve guided and continue to work in brown bear country quite a bit and live with them in my backyard so to speak. Sorta DG but not on an African DG scale. The go - to is an old sloppy CRF Model 70. Many of my neighbors and colleagues pack Ruger Guides. Fantastic rifle for the country, you can have 3 of them for the cost of 1 custom that’s going to be more accurate but less dependable.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hasn’t realized till after I made this thread the the CDG has an integral rail and recoil lug?? I just assumed it wasn’t like the mausingfeild and nucleus. How the hell did they get the price so low with that?

Usually other manufactures charge 60+% for those features because of machining. I don’t know of any other action below $1500 With an integral rail. Definitely think the CDG is the route I’m gonna go. I’ll probably get the standard as I don’t want this build to be to light.
The CDG is a smoking deal for the features. I keep watching the used market to get an even better deal, but not seeing very many yet.

OP
T
Early morning thoughts before the coffee kicks in:

I like to pretend I’m a gunsmith every couple of years and put one together. It’s fun. There are some nice actions out there.

A DG rifle build really isn’t the place for nearly every one of these custom actions. I have various different ones, Borden, Zermatt, Kelblys. They are all built to exacting tolerances that are going to give you problems in a life or limb scenario with dangerous game. Could be you drop in the mud, rain and snow freezes it up, etc. Sloppy = good, with positive feeding and extraction. The trigger mechanism should not be contained in a little sheet metal box, which eliminates nearly every custom. As much as it pains me to say it, I’d be looking for a CRF Winchester, Ruger, CZ, or an old Mauser for your DG rifle. Granite Mountain for a custom (heavy and bring lots of money). Accuracy generally comes from a good barrel, at least for hunting purposes. The whole floorplate/blind mag/detachable mag is another discussion that usually leads to the detachable mag being left for use elsewhere.

Like I said, I’ve fooled with a bunch of them and I am always in awe of the precision products these guys are able to produce. I’ve guided and continue to work in brown bear country quite a bit and live with them in my backyard so to speak. Sorta DG but not on an African DG scale. The go - to is an old sloppy CRF Model 70. Many of my neighbors and colleagues pack Ruger Guides. Fantastic rifle for the country, you can have 3 of them for the cost of 1 custom that’s going to be more accurate but less dependable.
I agree if this rifle was going to be used primarily for hunting dangerous game but honestly this will be used for Whitetail in Iowa more then anything. No plans anytime soon to hunt DG in africa and Ive got a different rifle ill probably use for bears in Alaska. The build was kinda just a cool idea I had and when im finished with it ill make another thread all about the build.

My issue with using some of those other CRF actions is after market support especially stocks. Wanted to stick with rem 700. The CDG doesnt have as tight as tolerances as say some defiance CRF actions so im less worried about it. Also I plan to use a hawkins hunter dbm which has proven to be pretty reliable and wont drop because of recoil or snagged on a branch.