Meat Freezer

Koyotte

FNG
Another advantage to a deep chest freezer is the ability to put heads/antlers in there after a hunt that you can skin out later.

With that said I'll probably go to an upright in the future for the eaze of organization.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

thank's for advice

Another advantage to a deep chest freezer is the ability to put heads/antlers in there after a hunt that you can skin out later.

With that said I'll probably go to an upright in the future for the eaze of organization.

That’s true, but it takes up a surprising amount of space which you might not have if it’s full of meat. I’ve had to basically empty mine out, put the head in there, and then drop bags of meat back in around it.

It should only take up about the same volume as the meat from the animal, so if you get the head to the taxi before the meat is done aging in a cooler, hanging, or back from the processor you should be good to go. It’s just much harder to stuff in there than a bunch of bags.

ChrisAU

WKR
Had a small chest freezer until this year, got a very large upright. Love the ability to organize it better and I know I'll be able to manage cycling out the meat better to prevent stuff getting old.

I will never own a chest freezer again unless some day i get to the point where i need two freezers. At that point i may get a chest freezer for long term stuff. The one other advantage to a smaller chest freezer.....you can take it hunting with you. If you set up a somewhat longer term camp and have a generator it is not you can take the chest freezer and all the tools you need to butcher your animals and freeze it there. that is tougher to do with an upright.

TEmbry

WKR
I have a medium chest freezer and a larger upright. Upright for meat to cycle through next, then chest freezer for the newest meat if upright is overflowing and then space taken up with frozen gallon jugs of water. I use the gallon jugs in coolers during the summer to not buy ice. This helps when hides/horns need to be frozen after hunts. Just set out water jugs to make room.

I use the gallon jugs in coolers during the summer to not buy ice. This helps when hides/horns need to be frozen after hunts. Just set out water jugs to make room.

It also makes your freezer more efficient. A full freezer, even one with water will be more efficient than an empty one. Also. If you have a power loss those frozen jugs will help to keep your meat frozen. And of course, not buying ice is nice.

I also keep single water bottles frozen to use as individual ice packs.

Someday I hope to have the 2 freezer setup. I sold our small upright when I bought the medium chest freezer. That was probably a mistake.

YBPS

WKR
Make sure you get one with a digital display with the temp showing on the outside. That way you always see its working. Also, if possible make sure there are no GFI's in line with that circuit that could trip....