Meat hauling question

OP
T

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
Won’t be able to get to the car for a few days on that planned trip.

I always seem to get a bit of blood on the hindquarters & tenderloins, not to mention the ribs. I’m looking to avoid getting any blood at all on the pack or me since I’ll have to help bone & pack out an elk before I get to hunt for myself this next trip.

I was thinking about fashioning up Dyneema sheets or similar, sandwiching the game bag in the load shelf between the bag & frame.
I too look at a blood stained pack with great satisfaction.
But, you could use a piece of folded Tyvek with one layer next to your frame and the other next to your pack bag. Place your meat bags between the two layers and start walkin'.

I carry a 4x5 sheet of it anyway to place meat on as I quarter or debone an animal, but have not used it for your purpose.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
TTT, I can’t really figure out what you’re worried about. I get that you think blood on your pack is an issue, but I don’t understand why.

What exactly do you think is the problem with having some blood on a pack in the backcountry? If you can articulate that we might be able to give you some ideas more constructive than “it washes out”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
It’s probably an overblown concern. I‘m worried about having blood scent on me trying to sneak up on an animal. I’ll be helping a youngster to hopefully harvest an elk/deer & then start my bow hunt, all while we’re out for at least a week.

jmez

WKR
If your out for a week, blood scent will be the least of your concerns.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

It’s probably an overblown concern. I‘m worried about having blood scent on me trying to sneak up on an animal. I’ll be helping a youngster to hopefully harvest an elk/deer & then start my bow hunt, all while we’re out for at least a week.

I’ve watched animals walk right by and downwind of carcasses and areas where we’ve deboned within 1-2 days and not have much concern. You’ll be fine in that regard I think. If you can, hang the meat overnight before you pack it. I’ve also found our meat quality to be better in that scenario also. It’ll dry up on the outside nicely in a good breathable bag.

BBob

WKR

I've never had animals give a care about the smell of blood (except for bears, they'll key in on a carcass or gut pile and come running). Many times I've glassed up animals right next to the gut pile we left the day before. Dead stuff is not uncommon to them.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider

Total nonissue. Use the wind to manage your stanky human musk and the blood scent on your pack is taken care of whether the animals care about it or not (they don’t). Good luck on the hunt to you and the youngster!

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
And here’s an anecdote to help you feel better. To set the stage, this takes place on the north side of the Brooks range in Alaska, the only hunters are spread out for miles, all dropped off by planes in this expansive roadless tundra. The animals out here have minimal contact with humans. The last caribou I killed out here was a nice bull, accompanied by a smaller bull. I made a good stalk aided by terrain and a little bit of willow growing in a creek bed. The wind was in my favor. The animals saw me before I shot, but could not smell me or figure out what I was or if I was a threat. The larger bull had gone back to grazing before I pulled the trigger. After I killed his buddy, the smaller bull ran around for a few minutes, then returned to his buddy on the ground, with a pool of blood growing around him. I watched for several more minutes and that smaller bull would have been content to stay there with his dead buddy had I not run him off so I could get to work. The smell of blood didn’t bother this bull one bit.

PMcGee

WKR
Putting the meat in a contractor bag for a few hours to pack it out will have no effect on the meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro