Meateater Osso Bucco

For years I had been throwing away the elg shanks on deer, I will never do this again. Please do yourself a favor and check out Steve rinellas osso bucco recipe. It has become one of my favorite dishes and I often ask friend and family for their leg shanks if they will be throwing them to waste.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We're butchering my daughter's moose and I have a couple shanks in the fridge for tonight's dinner. They're quite large on a moose. I have a different recipe, but they're similar enough to be the same.

I have been leaving them "long" and just chopping off the joint ends to expose the marrow. Shanks have definitely become a favorite at our house.

woods89

WKR
This is what I started to do

I greatly prefer it to chili with ground meat!

I generally smoke the shanks pieces for 3 hours or so, then they go into a crock pot overnight with all manner of chili related seasoning and some stock, meat gets pulled off the bones in the morning, beans get added, and then it gets a few more hours in the crockpot. It's just so good. We eat it with guacamole, tortilla chips, etc.

Now I'm hungry......

nosajnh

FNG
I used to grind my shanks which was a pain so last year I kept them whole and tried the meateater osso bucco recipe and I was hooked. I will never grind another shank again. I also tried a couple other recipies based on brasied veal or vennison shanks and it is a favorite. All that connective tissue goes from being a nasty pain to buttery goodness.
20230212_183511.jpg20230910_203219.jpg

I’m a fan of shanks also, but they take up some freezer space. I started deboning them, dicing them up and pressure canning them. Saves the freezer space and have “pulled” meat ready to go for a number of meals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Another really good one is Trisha Yearwood's Garlicky Braised Shank recipe.
I don't know if she can sing but she can cook.
Take one look at Garth and you know Intermittent Fasting is a non-starter at their house.

Steve's Osso Bucco is a family favorite ..

Definitely make it. I prefer it as a late fall/winter meal

We don't use his recipe but the wife has been making it for years and we all love it. I believe it was @cnelk here on RS that posted a recipe a while back for crockpot with a couple cans of soup which seriously simplified the process, not quite as good but good enough to where I'm not bothering with the other one if I'm cooking.

Shanks are great in the pressure cooker for pot roasts too, especially Mississippi pot roasts. Quick, easy, and freaking yummy.

OP
K
I’m a fan of shanks also, but they take up some freezer space. I started deboning them, dicing them up and pressure canning them. Saves the freezer space and have “pulled” meat ready to go for a number of meals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just bought a pressure canner this summer. Thanks for the tip I might try that. I've never Canned meat

I just bought a pressure canner this summer. Thanks for the tip I might try that. I've never Canned meat

Canned venison or Elk is very versatile, it's ugly as sin in the jar so don't let people see it before you use it. We use it for enchiladas, carne asada, stroganoff, all manner of things. I rarely grind anymore, everything leftover from processing ends up getting canned.

woods89

WKR
Canned venison or Elk is very versatile, it's ugly as sin in the jar so don't let people see it before you use it. We use it for enchiladas, carne asada, stroganoff, all manner of things. I rarely grind anymore, everything leftover from processing ends up getting canned.

My wife loves having canned venison on hand for those evenings when she doesn't have anything thawed. She uses it in all kinds of things. One of my favorite ways is just to flour the cubes, pan fry them, and then make brown gravy with the drippings. Eat it with rice, mashed potatoes, or over biscuits.

fishslap

WKR
I’ve done that recipe several times now and it’s great. I do his blade roast recipe with shank also. That one has sweet potatoes in it. I used to do bone in shank but anymore I just bone them out.
You absolutely have to try bon appetite’s braised short rib recipe. I use neck meat and I think it’s the best for this but shank would work too. You just need to cook it longer and check it periodically and add more stock if needed so it doesn’t caramelize too much. I use a lodge enameled Dutch oven.
IMG_2156.jpeg