Moving to Montana

Harvey_NW

WKR
The farther SE you get from Butte toward the boarder, the more you better get comfy with the idea of recreating with Grizzy burrs..

WCB

WKR
If you were to move to MT at this point in your life, where do you think you would go?
My wife is a teacher and through connections she actually had 2 job offers 1 in Belgrade and 1 in Livingston. Pay was absolutely atrocious compared to where we live (this was 10 yrs ago). Not recognizing the trend probably cost us money because if we would have bought a house then the turn around would have made up for it.

Butte would be up there because sort of centrally located...decent sized economy. Really like the blue collar feel and attitude.

Lewistown would be up there because it is in the middle of nowhere but understand it is job dependent.

Great Falls (out of city limits) wouldn't be bad. It is an old town...not the prettiest but I like the island mountain ranges near it, Missouri and Smith Rivers for fishing. Closer to where I like to Mule Deer hunt...decent elk hunting close by, good upland.

Helena/Townsend because it's not BZN. Townsend is 100% in sprawl right now. Only thing that is helping a little is the BLM along the hwy prevent total development of the valley. Either area I would consider.

Between all of those if you just said pick one it would be a coin toss between Butte and Great Falls. Maybe edge to Great Falls as I like more open plains. Where ever you pick just realize longish drives are normal to do things or get places.

jcojocaru

FNG
I live right between Kalispell and Whitefish.

People buying in Butte right now are going to be seen as geniuses in 20 years.

If you need help purchasing I've got contacts in most markets you've named who are rockstars at their craft.
How's Flathead county? Property taxes and such?

I'm planning on moving into the area soon as possible. Parents are planning as well, most likely before me. Possibly Marion or Kila, lower mountainous areas with land.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
My wife is a teacher and through connections she actually had 2 job offers 1 in Belgrade and 1 in Livingston. Pay was absolutely atrocious compared to where we live (this was 10 yrs ago). Not recognizing the trend probably cost us money because if we would have bought a house then the turn around would have made up for it.

Butte would be up there because sort of centrally located...decent sized economy. Really like the blue collar feel and attitude.

Lewistown would be up there because it is in the middle of nowhere but understand it is job dependent.

Great Falls (out of city limits) wouldn't be bad. It is an old town...not the prettiest but I like the island mountain ranges near it, Missouri and Smith Rivers for fishing. Closer to where I like to Mule Deer hunt...decent elk hunting close by, good upland.

Helena/Townsend because it's not BZN. Townsend is 100% in sprawl right now. Only thing that is helping a little is the BLM along the hwy prevent total development of the valley. Either area I would consider.

Between all of those if you just said pick one it would be a coin toss between Butte and Great Falls. Maybe edge to Great Falls as I like more open plains. Where ever you pick just realize longish drives are normal to do things or get places.
Yeah definitely aware of the longer drives for just about everything; I've heard that from her parents since we've been married haha. That's really helpful though, thank you for your input. I think at this point we'll probably start considering Butte as a viable option.

With your list I think Helena/Townsend would be best bet. Department heads after tenure are over 80k in Helena/Kalispell(class AA schools). Shodair could be a great opportunity for your wife to work at too in Helena. Greatfalls is ugly from the outside but proximity to the front is impeccable. Could be another place for you to look at/one of the last touched areas really to be honest. I have lived in Joliet, Helena, Bozeman(school), Billings, Custer, and Moccasin just to give you some background. Family farms north of Glasgow and even my wife won’t move there. Her mom resides in whitefish, ok to visit but not my cup of tea.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
With your list I think Helena/Townsend would be best bet. Department heads after tenure are over 80k in Helena/Kalispell(class AA schools). Shodair could be a great opportunity for your wife to work at too in Helena. Greatfalls is ugly from the outside but proximity to the front is impeccable. Could be another place for you to look at/one of the last touched areas really to be honest. I have lived in Joliet, Helena, Bozeman(school), Billings, Custer, and Moccasin just to give you some background. Family farms north of Glasgow and even my wife won’t move there. Her mom resides in whitefish, ok to visit but not my cup of tea.
In and around Helena has definitely had our primary focus recently. As much as I like other areas there just aren't always a lot of jobs available from what I can tell. The bigger cities have a distinct advantage there for two people in education.

Yep and I know for a fact one high school will have a pe/health job open in the next year:) Helena is clicky but get in early enough in life and you’ll survive

bobr1

WKR
Over the course of the past couple years my wife and I have talked about moving from NC to MT. We just got back from a trip there and we've solidified our decision to move there during the summer of 2025. I could go on and on about why we want to move, but I'm sure anyone can guess at least several of the reasons; we're not much different than anyone else. I will add that we certainly don't have rose colored glasses when it comes to how we view the state. We know MT has it's own issues, and talking with her family that have been there for several generations has given us a lot of insight.

For reference, my wife and her whole family are originally from Lewistown and Conrad, and her and her parents moved to NC when she was in 5th grade. At this point we've visited Kalispell/Whitefish, Lewistown, Conrad, Missoula, Bozeman, Helena, Boulder and a couple other small towns. I'm 26 years old and currently teaching K-8 PE and am about to start pursuing my masters in K-12 Health and Phys Ed. My wife is 25 and is practicing speech therapy for a private company and contracts through our local schools.

Being from NC, we're limited on how often we can go and visit areas that we're interested in. Fortunately, she still has family in Lewistown and Helena, so we at least have some connections there. So far Helena and the surrounding area check off the most boxes in terms of job availability, housing prices, distance to groceries, gyms, churches, etc, and the landscape we want (really not interested in Eastern MT). We're open to other areas, but probably not Missoula or right in Bozeman due to housing.

I would love to hear from anyone that has experience living in or around these areas and what they liked/didn't like. Since we weren't able to visit Butte, I'm really interested in hearing about that area as well. Mixed reviews from what I've read. I hope I gave enough info about us to give an idea of what we're wanting to do, but please feel free to ask clarifying questions. Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read and reply, it means the world.
If you plan on teaching the biggest hurdle is securing a job in a good area. Also realize for most places in Montana the teacher pay is no where near where it needs to be for cost of
living now. My wife’s school district has a starting pay of $32,000 with a bachelors degree. Average price of a house right now is ~$600,000k…. So the schools are really struggling to hire teachers right now even if they have openings. We got lucky when we got our house as we would never be able to get one now. If you plan on moving 2025 then spend the next few years taking more time to visit areas you are interested in to get a better feel if it’s what you are looking for. The market is starting to cool off but as someone mentioned it’s better to buy in the winter for a better deal.

Mojave

WKR
Montana has gotten really expensive for working schlubs.

If you live east it is cheaper than west.

You trade BLM for Forest Service, and it's not quite as scenic. Weather in Eastern Montana is cold and windy with a high chance of really cold and windy. Snows a lot in Western Montana.

Mt Al

WKR
Lots of great advice and I'll just add that Butte/Helena are great places to live, highly underappreciated by the newbies moving to MT who choose Bozeman, Missoula, Kalispel. Personally, I'd have zero issues raising kids in Butte and in fact would be a better place than the popular/trendy towns in Montana. Lewistown is a great place but like mentioned, political aspects like school and law enforcement can be a shite show. Have a good friend who left LE in Lewistown recently due to idiocy. But an awesome place in terms of the people and regional public land opportunities.

I wish you well in your move and hope you take advantage of all the state has to offer.

8grenade

FNG
Don't live there but did for 5 years while guiding. Have aunt and uncle along with 3 cousins in Bozeman, mom lives in Townsend (or near I guess). Sister lives 30minutes or so south of Great Falls. IMO Townsend/Helena area is a decent area...a lot of people that got bounced out of Bozeman but it is developing quickly and cost are insane (Townsend area). Missoula and BZN are a no go 100%. Butte is...well Butte. Every time I have been in there I have had a good time friendly people...If you can get over a giant poisonous lake Its really not a bad place and anything to avoid becoming BZN or Missoula is a plus. Easy enough to shoot to Bozeman, Missoula, up to Great Falls etc...kind of the middle of western MT.

To tell you the truth the Lewistown area has grown on me just because it reminds me more of what Bozeman used to be. But you are kind of out in no man lands as far as fishing but still good hunting and open spaces.

If you have the ability to buy something relatively soon do it and think about 2,3,5, 10yrs down the line what it might look like. I would buy as far out on the edge of whatever town as possible with it still making sense for a commute everyday.
Looks like you have lots of families there.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Yep and I know for a fact one high school will have a pe/health job open in the next year:) Helena is clicky but get in early enough in life and you’ll survive

Wish we could move that early haha. I won’t be finished with my masters until 2025 unfortunately…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
If you plan on teaching the biggest hurdle is securing a job in a good area. Also realize for most places in Montana the teacher pay is no where near where it needs to be for cost of
living now. My wife’s school district has a starting pay of $32,000 with a bachelors degree. Average price of a house right now is ~$600,000k…. So the schools are really struggling to hire teachers right now even if they have openings. We got lucky when we got our house as we would never be able to get one now. If you plan on moving 2025 then spend the next few years taking more time to visit areas you are interested in to get a better feel if it’s what you are looking for. The market is starting to cool off but as someone mentioned it’s better to buy in the winter for a better deal.

Yeah we’re definitely taking those things into account in terms of balancing decent paying jobs with cost of living of where we choose to buy. Buying in the winter is something I hadn’t thought of either. You may have mentioned it, but what school district does your wife work in if you don’t mind?

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Montana has gotten really expensive for working schlubs.

If you live east it is cheaper than west.

You trade BLM for Forest Service, and it's not quite as scenic. Weather in Eastern Montana is cold and windy with a high chance of really cold and windy. Snows a lot in Western Montana.

I know it doesn’t help our cause, but we’re really just not very interested in the eastern part of the state for some of the reasons you mentioned. If we’re going to move across the country I’d like to have some mountains or at the very least hills within reasonable distance haha

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of great advice and I'll just add that Butte/Helena are great places to live, highly underappreciated by the newbies moving to MT who choose Bozeman, Missoula, Kalispel. Personally, I'd have zero issues raising kids in Butte and in fact would be a better place than the popular/trendy towns in Montana. Lewistown is a great place but like mentioned, political aspects like school and law enforcement can be a shite show. Have a good friend who left LE in Lewistown recently due to idiocy. But an awesome place in terms of the people and regional public land opportunities.

I wish you well in your move and hope you take advantage of all the state has to offer.

Thanks brother, really appreciate the kind words and encouragement. We’re beyond excited and the anticipation will be the hardest part of the move haha. Bzn and Missoula are pretty much out of the question. Idk if it will happen, but it would be cool to visit Butte before our move. Fortunately we’ll be renting at first so we won’t be too tied to the area that we first move to. We could always pick up and move to another area.

Mojave

WKR
There are some reservation towns that will pay teachers more, but you have to live in the war zone and get treated like a second class citizen.

Not for me.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
There are some reservation towns that will pay teachers more, but you have to live in the war zone and get treated like a second class citizen.

Not for me.

Oh come on that sounds like fun!