Mechforce barrel vise?

wnelson14

WKR
Yes I like it, pulled a Bergara Barrel no problem, tried on a slimmer howa barrel and kept slipping due to contour, so I just ruined that barrel and put it in a regular vice.
Advice I have is mount it on a 4x4 bench leg and use your body weight downward to loosen actions vs mounting it flat on top of a table

Not sure about that one, I had a wheeler with the wooden blocks that was a total piece of shit. I now have a viper and it worked well on the 2 Tikka factory barrels I have removed and installed prefits on.

I had best results when I didn’t use any tape or leather or anything. Bare barrel in the vise, metal to metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Yes I like it, pulled a Bergara Barrel no problem, tried on a slimmer howa barrel and kept slipping due to contour, so I just ruined that barrel and put it in a regular vice.
Advice I have is mount it on a 4x4 bench leg and use your body weight downward to loosen actions vs mounting it flat on top of a table
That's a great tip and thank you!

sndmn11

WKR
The viper has 4 bolts too, one of the reasons I chose it, the mech tech looks like the same basic design I’d say go for it. I mounted mine on a 2x4 and clamp it to the workbench when it’s gun plumber time.

I have the PMA version. https://www.pmatool.com/pma-gen-ii-barrel-vise/

I have mine mounted on 2x2 sign post metal and throw it in my truck's hitch. I've yet to lift my truck up...

When wrenching on anything where the threads are parallel to the ground (like lug nuts or the barrel in this example) it safer and more effective to pull up than bounce you body weight down. You can generate more torque this way and it’s much more controlled.

wnelson14

WKR
When wrenching on anything where the threads are parallel to the ground (like lug nuts or the barrel in this example) it safer and more effective to pull up than bounce you body weight down. You can generate more torque this way and it’s much more controlled.

With an extension on the action wrench, there was no bouncing down,
basically on my tippy toes then lowering my weight with the pipe at my waste. Not sure how that can get any safer.

Unckebob

WKR
I have the 22st Century Innovations version. It worked fine for me mounting a prefit barrel last week (my first use of it). I liked the four bolt design.

I just need to find a better place to mount it.

With an extension on the action wrench, there was no bouncing down,
basically on my tippy toes then lowering my weight with the pipe at my waste. Not sure how that can get any safer.

I’m glad it worked out for you, I was just sharing a general tool tip that is a standard best practice.