Meeker

Know the area well. Wouldn't hunt elk there.
I heard they are putting in parking ramps at a couple of the trailheads.

Good luck!

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted the Flat Tops last year 3rd rifle and everything was pushed onto private.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Not sure what weather was like by 3rd rifle, but if I was an elk I would be headed lower. We had nights down to almost 10F in 1st at 10,000 ft.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Not sure what weather was like by 3rd rifle, but if I was an elk I would be headed lower. We had nights down to almost 10F in 1st at 10,000 ft.
We had one night/day where it was in the teens. Other than that it was more moderate. Going up towards the Dunckley Pass once we were driving through private property there were elk running across the road like crazy. Didn't see one on public the entire hunt.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all, this is my first post. I am interested in an elk hunt there with a outfitter. Do the outfitters have exclusive rights to an area or can anyone hunt their camp area locations? thanks

Aviator

WKR
Hello all, this is my first post. I am interested in an elk hunt there with a outfitter. Do the outfitters have exclusive rights to an area or can anyone hunt their camp area locations? thanks
They only pay for a camp spot and that’s all they have.

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I guess if you are 5 or 6 miles away from the trail heads the hunter traffic thins out or would a person need to be farther away. This is my first elk hunt and am pretty clueless about what to expect.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted there for several years we camped up high in tents & trailers but moved to town to access multiple public areas easier. If you want to be successful plan on hiking in something over a mile & less than 6 generally avoid motorized areas or go to the end in an atv then start your hike . Getting to your spots early staying out till dark moving & spotting finding the elk. A spot I used to hunt mostly alone had 11 trucks in it opening morning. We still killed 2 deer & a cow there got close to where we wanted well before daylight. We hunt 3rd rifle & I draw a cow tag & otc bull no waiting for points needed for rifle elk. Too much rude clueless pressure & some unfriendly jackass ranchers can ruin a hunt & have for me. But there are animals if you hunt hard. I’m over 60 but can do 7 miles every day & 15 once or twice during the week to be successful.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
Paying big $ to hunt private ranches changes that experience significantly pick & choose big bucks & decent bulls with cows a slam dunk. I like to hunt the edges of those places on public because those fat lazy truck hunters with the $8K custom rifles often can’t hit the broad side of a barn & scare them up to me. Killed my biggest bull after a dozen private land misses drove him into my little canyon.

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted there for several years we camped up high in tents & trailers but moved to town to access multiple public areas easier. If you want to be successful plan on hiking in something over a mile & less than 6 generally avoid motorized areas or go to the end in an atv then start your hike . Getting to your spots early staying out till dark moving & spotting finding the elk. A spot I used to hunt mostly alone had 11 trucks in it opening morning. We still killed 2 deer & a cow there got close to where we wanted well before daylight. We hunt 3rd rifle & I draw a cow tag & otc bull no waiting for points needed for rifle elk. Too much rude clueless pressure & some unfriendly jackass ranchers can ruin a hunt & have for me. But there are animals if you hunt hard. I’m over 60 but can do 7 miles every day & 15 once or twice during the week to be successful.
Great, my grandson and I will be about 4-6 miles in with a wall tent, I to am over 60 and already am hitting the gym, some weight training but mostly leg and cardio. Sound like a great time and what I here the area is beautiful.

BDRam16

WKR
That area will be the hub of first time hunters for several years to come and will only get more and more crowded. It’s one of the only spots in the country you can get guaranteed tags and people flock there by the thousands. Literally. Look up the tag allocation numbers in those units every year and it’s enough to make me go elsewhere.

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
I will probably explore other areas but this year to get my feet wet and build points this will have to do. I have a small farm here in IL. so even if I strike out I can take some whitetails here with my landowner tags.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
Worth bringing a UTV atv or very capable vehicle for your scout. Get OnX software app for your phone - it can keep you out of trouble & show you legal access. If you know where you are camping PM me & I’ll suggest some areas to scout hunt - none will be great secrets or empty of people. Highway 13 divides GMU’s later seasons West is better earlier higher up & East .

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
Camofire has them on sale periodically I get all 50 states so I can use it at home, Hawaii, AZ etc scouting future locations.

StillBald

FNG
Camofire has them on sale periodically I get all 50 states so I can use it at home, Hawaii, AZ etc scouting future locations.
FYI, I reached out to Camofire when my OnX expired a month or two ago. They said OnX is selling direct now and you'll no longer see it pop up through Camofire. I have been giving Gaia a test run for a while and may just go that route instead, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
Well I sent my deposit for 2nd rifle season with a local outfitter I was given info on from an acquaintance. Should be fun, hoping to be packed in far enough to avoid crowds.