Members opinions of the Winchester Mod. 70?

Might try asking this in the firearms section, though I suspect a mod will move it. Long story short - a very well-respected rifle that has stood the test of time for good reason.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
They don’t call it The Rifleman’s Rifle for nuthin. Really hard to improve on the M70.

Grumman

WKR
I love them and the CRF platform. Have model 70’s in

6.5CM
338WM
300WSM
30-06
6.5-06
375H&H

And Kimber Montanas in 223, 308, and 30-06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have 2 model 70 extreme weather rifles, one is a 30-06 and one is a 338 win mag. I have shot moose and caribou with the 30-06. They are well built and finished rifles, mine have been very accurate although I have not messed with the 338 very much. the 30-06 will stack several loads I have made for it but it really likes 180 and 220g partitions. The 30-06 has a zeiss conquest 3-9 on it and I'm on the lookout for the same scope for the 338. They aren't light mountain rifles but they are nice shooting and well build rifles. I also have a model 70 stainless classic 375HH which is more or less new even though its from like 1996, if there is a better rifle for hunting large bears, I have not found it.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I love the M70 with the push fed action. I wish they still made those. I wouldn’t own a crf action one, though.

Spoonbill

WKR
I’ve had a m70 for ~19 years now and it is my favorite rifle, partly for sentimental reasons and mainly because it is accurate, smooth action, and it is reliable. Downside is that it is heavier than my tikka but it also has a wood stock and has been bedded.
I don’t have any experience with the newer ones since I am left handed but the reviews say it is better than the ones made in New Haven CT.
Hard to pick 2 calibers without knowing what you would use them for, but if it were me I would get a 6mm and a 270win.

robtattoo

WKR
I love my 6.5x55. When I decided to upgrade Swedes from my knock about Savage, I purposely sought out a push feed M70 action. Smooth, reliable, accurate. A little heavy but who cares?

Why the push feed over the CRF, for those that that like them better?

I am on the search for an All Weather SS in 30-06. I have only been able to find two Featherweights that are blued/wood in Central WI. Frustration in these times.

CCH

WKR
My hunting rifle is a SS 70 FW .308. It rides in a McMillan Compact Edge stock and the barrel has been shortened to 19". Love it. My son has a 70EW in .308 that will likely be his lifetime rifle. We use them for everything.

If I were to have two, it would probably just be to add another similar rifle in .338 Win Mag. My buddy has a brace of model 70s just like that and is set for everything in NA. However, I am very unlikely to hunt big bears, and the .308 works pretty good for everything else, so I'm just not feeling the need.

JFK

WKR
Why the push feed over the CRF, for those that that like them better?

I am on the search for an All Weather SS in 30-06. I have only been able to find two Featherweights that are blued/wood in Central WI. Frustration in these times.

I’ve never heard anyone say they like the push feed better than the crf…..normally the other way around. I think a lot of the hate for the push feed comes from the fact that when they went to push feed post 64’ many believe that quality dropped off. I don’t buy that there is anything inherently better in crf. Hell, most of the high end custom rifles are built on PF rem 700 clones and no issues there.

I have a 67’ push feed sitting in my safe that I’m going back and forth on options to have it rebarreled. Fairly sure Im going to do a 1:8 twist 270. That said it shoots great as is.

I have a push feed XTR M70 in .270 Win, a CRF Pre-64 30-06 (1946 I believe), a CRF Classic SM in 300 Win a Mag and a custom Mauser 98 with 3 position Gentry M70 style safety in 35 Whelen AI. Also a Ruger M77 Stainless in 30-06 which is a CRF as well.

Never had issues with any of them, just a preference for CRF.

From the custom rifle standpoint, the Rem action has what folks see a more accuracy potential, IMO.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
One of my favorite things about the m70 is the trigger. No, it'll never be a Jewell....but if there's a more bombproof modern trigger, I have not seen it.

I have pre and post 64 crf's and pf's and they're all slick.....and I have not heard of a bolt handle coming off one....and I have tried.