Members opinions of the Winchester Mod. 70?

I have 2, an ultra light carbine and a mountain rifle. Both old guns my dad gave me. LOVE them both. Heavy wood stocked, blued guns, so I don't take them elk hunting often in the wet season, but they take turns on deer hunts when its dry and snowy. Both in .270.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
My first rifle once I moved out West was a .308 featherweight M70 from circa 1961. I think is a very nice looking rifle. But, wood stocks swell and could not bear to tear that gun apart so picked up an old Mauser and had a .338 Win Mag built. Then got a .308 Win built. Then bought a used Best of the West in 7mm Rem Mag. The 7mm is very accurate. I still like the M70's look better. Looks like what a rifle would look like if I invented the rifle. I also like the M94 as a lever gun but stopped shooting it decades ago when pointy bullets brought more accuracy into play.

Last edited:

H82miss

FNG
I have 2. A M70 Featherweight XTR .243 circa 1980 that was my first hunting rifle. It wears a Leupold 2-7x40 that is has had on it since the day I got it. It is my favorite rifle. The 2nd is a CRF M70 Featherweight in 270WSM. I've had it for about 8 years and it's nice but I just don't love it. Also, I haven't shot it much so maybe I just need to spend more time with it.

I have two Featherweights, built in S Carolina in 2012. One is 7-08 and the other is a 257 Rob. Both as good as it gets in a factory production gun. I think they're better than my dad's pre '64s. (yeah, I said it) I'd own more, but they don't offer any other chamberings I'd be interested in. The Portuguese rifles are also very well made.

Rich M

WKR
My 3006 shoots an inch at 250 yards w reloads. Never malfunctioned. Never frozen up. Trigger is adjustable and very light.

No complaints.

zman88

FNG
I have one in 243 WSSM. I've been deer hunting with it for probably 15 years now, and never had an issue.

zman88

FNG
I will say out of the box the trigger pull was ~8 lbs., but is easily adjustable down. Mine is set around 2.5-3 lbs now

Toptom60

FNG
my family has always been into model 70s and have quite a few. Always loved them as has been said easy to adjust trigger and shoot great with reloads. To me I never seen any down fall to older push feeds or the new claw guns either.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had my extreme weather 30-06 out this morning, man I’d forgotten how nice that gun is. It just flat out shoots and feels great.

I’ll get my stainless classic sighted in tomorrow or the next day to get ready for bear.

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
I have a SS Classic in 270 and an Extreme Weather in 300WM. On the to buy list are a .243, .308 and a .375. Not sure which order I’ll get them probably whatever I find in stock or a good used deal. The .308 is a bit redundant but the amount of ammo on the shelves the last two years has got me wanting to add one.

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
I had a beautiful 1981 mod 70 FW XTR 3006 sold it to a fellow RS, sold it for a less than it is worth, almost perfect cond. and it was a shooter consistant 3/4" groups. I didn't need two 3006 kept a SS in 3006 that I don't mind scatching up, more utilitarian I guess. That rifle had the slickest action of any rifle I have ever had.

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I have three M70s. A family heirloom Pre-64 in 30-06. I managed to find two of the Ultimate Shadow USA made M70s. One in 30-06 and one in 308. The 308 was unfired NIB. They aren’t as beautiful as the wood stocked versions., but they are very utilitarian and accurate. That said, my Tikka 308 sees more field time because it is lighter and my form special is in the works as well. I love M70 for so many reasons. The craftsmanship is amazing and the American made component. Tikkas can certainly hold their own. If I could do it all over again I would only own M70s and Tikkas.