Meopta B1 Plus 10X42 leave me wanting...what else in this price

I've run these new Meopta B1 Plus 10X42 HD side by side with my beat ass Vortex Viper HD (Japan build) and I just don't like them as much. Any additional suggestions in the $1300 range?

ZDR

WKR
The Kowa Genesis or the Zeiss Conquest line should be better than the B1 plus. Also Nikon Monarch HG 10x42s are impressive.

prm

WKR
I had some of those old Vortex Vipers. I didn’t see much, or any, benefit vs. some very high end binos.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sounds like you're expecting too much out of the new binos and have buyer's remorse. How much early morning, late evening comparison have you done between the two side by side on tripods? Long glassing sessions will also tell a lot for eye strain in comparing different binos.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

S.Clancy

WKR
I compared directly my B1 HDs and my buddy's Japanese Razors. We both concluded mine are both brighter and have more clarity. I think the Razors do have better edge to edge tho. Maybe you got a bad pair or they just don't work for your eyes 🤷‍♂️

OP
J
Sounds like you're expecting too much out of the new binos and have buyer's remorse. How much early morning, late evening comparison have you done between the two side by side on tripods? Long glassing sessions will also tell a lot for eye strain in comparing different binos.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Expecting too much? Well yea....I paid $450 for the Vortex 6 years ago vs a brand new pair of Czech optics that are 3 months old and cost over double. I was fully expecting the Meopta to be better. Who wouldn't?

How much time? Lots. I've invested in them. I am going to take a huge bath on moving them. Why would I not want them to perform well and keep them?

I live above an uninhabited river valley with not one residence and can glass for 2.5 miles in all conditions simply by stepping out my door. They've been tested fairly.

AGPank

WKR
I’m surprised. I really liked my Meoptas. One of the best at controlling CA, they were much better than my MIJ razors in this aspect. Much better overall build quality.

Again everyone’s eyes are different. Try to look at some other optics to see what you like. In that price:

Used SLC Hd ($1200-1350)
used Leica Ultravid HD ($1200-1400) (might find HD+ too)
Used EL non SV ($1000-1200)

For a bit more
Used EL SV (non field pro) $1400-1800)

I’ve only looked through the Zeiss Conquest HD and Victory FL, the glass wasn’t for my eyes so I can’t comment on Zeiss offerings.

Many really like Maven for value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J
I've looked at Maven a few times over the years, but have not followed along. I was thinking that someone else makes them for Maven, and they brand them. If so......who manufactures them?

Most of the upper end Maven are out of Japan-LOW plant?

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Maven's are Kamakura.

If you can still find some new 10x42 SLC's discounted to $1399 grab them. If not, pick up a lightly used set here. Done.

nobody

WKR
I've looked at Maven a few times over the years, but have not followed along. I was thinking that someone else makes them for Maven, and they brand them. If so......who manufactures them?

Most of the upper end Maven are out of Japan-LOW plant?
Maven's high end is made from Japanese components and assembled in the USA. Their C series binos are made in the Phillipines.

I've heard the same as above, the B's are of Kamakura origin. There's also strong indication that they are of the same origin of the Vortex Razor UHD's, which are impressive. My dad has a pair of the UHD's and they're nuts. The B.2 from Maven and the UHD share lots of the same design cues (Abbe-Koenig prism system being the biggest similarity). From what I can tell, the differences come in the price (Maven's are cheaper because they do direct to consumer), magnification and objective lens combinations, and the coatings.

A pair of 9 or 11x B.2's come in at about $1200, less if you don't do the custom builds. They're right in your price range, I would check them out if I was you.

I’d maybe try demoing some maven B2 9x. I also have Meoptas in 15x and while I like them both, the Mavens have a warmer, flatter, crisper view than the cooler, more subdued hues of the Meoptas.

Hoodie

WKR
There really isn´t anything else that I´ve tried in the $1k price range that is notably better than the Meostars.

The Monarch HG has better ergonomics and is lighter, but optically it´ś a wash. Both are just a little better than the Razors to my eyes. I haven´t tried the Mavens, the Zeiss Conquest, Kowa Genesis, or Leica Trinovid, but I´ve never heard anyone say one of them flat out trounces the others.

I think what you´re discovering here is that, as far as binos go, once you hit the $400-$500 dollar range huge increases in price lead to very small (like 3-5%) increases in performance. The kind of differences you have to look really hard to even notice.

If I were you I´d just offload the Meoptas, keep the Vipers, and spend the money on tags or upgrading other gear. If the Meostars don´t offer enough of an improvement for you, you´re probably not gonna be satisfied with anything less than top tier stuff.

$400-500 dollar binos are just really good these days.

OP
J
^ fair point. I've never bobbled the Meopta or dropped them. But it almost seems like a barrel is 1/32nd of a degree out of alignment or something. My right eye increasingly more weak than my left dominant eye. I've messed with diopter so many times.....wanting to love these Binos. I simply don't. They sit on the kitchen table. I reach for the old pair every time. Then....I try to love them again. Only to be disappointed with each new attempt.

They've never left the house since unboxing.

I have multiple vehicles, packs and use optics at work. My goal was to have a solid "Spare" binocular. Or spare set for a visitor to run.

OP
J
Tripod thread is a mandatory need for me. I think many in this range lack threads?

The Leupold 4s and 5s are on a short list, but think the 5s have no threads.

S.Clancy

WKR
^ fair point. I've never bobbled the Meopta or dropped them. But it almost seems like a barrel is 1/32nd of a degree out of alignment or something. My right eye increasingly more weak than my left dominant eye. I've messed with diopter so many times.....wanting to love these Binos. I simply don't. They sit on the kitchen table. I reach for the old pair every time. Then....I try to love them again. Only to be disappointed with each new attempt.

I have multiple vehicles, packs and use optics at work. My goal was to have a solid "Spare" binocular. Or spare set for a visitor to run.
That's funny, I was the same way messing with the diopter constantly on my Vortex, with the Meopta, set it once, solid. I think your eyes just don't like Meopta.

AGPank

WKR

Maybe out of collimation? I would talk to the dealer or manufacturer and try to sort that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's interesting. I'd rather use the Meopta B1's than anything Vortex makes. You might take a look at the Zeiss Conquest

This is surprising to hear it sounds like you might have a wonky set, maybe send back and verify everything is good. I have the 10x42 and 12x50 and love them both, I had the 10x42 first and went to a swaro dealer cash in hand to upgrade to the SLC’s but wanted to compare with the Meostars first. The shop owner let me take them for a couple hours and after comparing both on a tripod I bought a set of 12x50 B1 plus. Everyone’s eyes are different I never looked through anything vortex my eyes like or the EL’s in a couple different magnifications.

OP
J
Again....I fully expected the Meoptas..and wanted the Meoptas...to shit bigger than these Vortex. The Vortex were to become my throw down, floor board Binos. Just not the case. I kinda don’t agree with “everyone’s eyes are different”. In optics it’s the same weight as “rifle shoots 1/2 MOA all day long....IF I DO MY PART”

Just seems like I have clear, but almost slight double images. Like when the barrels are too far apart or too close for your IPD vs someone who used them before you.
Just can’t love this specific Bino. I’ll call or email next week for a general WTF and see if they’ll take a look at them.