Merino Baselayer Weight Recommendation

For your application My recommendation is the 150-200 gram. I have used different brands and to be honest I haven't noticed a huge difference between them. I've used Smartwool, FirstLite, Core4Element, Icebreaker, Point6 and WoolX. I'd recommend any of those EXCEPT WoolX.. it was complete junk.

I just picked up a 150 Black Ovis Hoody and it is the softest I've tried. I've heard good things about it and I'm daily wearing it so I'll keep everyone posted. It's probably the best bang for your buck on Camofire.

I also wouldn't wear any that isn't 1/4 or 1/2 zip. It makes it so much more versatile.

Thanks for this! How's the fit compared to say Duckworth.

woods89

WKR
For your application My recommendation is the 150-200 gram. I have used different brands and to be honest I haven't noticed a huge difference between them. I've used Smartwool, FirstLite, Core4Element, Icebreaker, Point6 and WoolX. I'd recommend any of those EXCEPT WoolX.. it was complete junk.

I just picked up a 150 Black Ovis Hoody and it is the softest I've tried. I've heard good things about it and I'm daily wearing it so I'll keep everyone posted. It's probably the best bang for your buck on Camofire.

I also wouldn't wear any that isn't 1/4 or 1/2 zip. It makes it so much more versatile.

I have that exact hoodie and wear it a lot. I think it's a 50/50 blend which helps so much with dry time.
I'm done wearing high % merino, unless it's a long trip and I really need the odor control. I just don't like how long that clammy feeling persists.

I have that exact hoodie and wear it a lot. I think it's a 50/50 blend which helps so much with dry time.
I'm done wearing high % merino, unless it's a long trip and I really need the odor control. I just don't like how long that clammy feeling persists.
Agreed. 50/50 or at least 30% poly. I feel shitty about the water polyester gets into the water stream of course but high merino just doesnt work for me...

Since you're doing a lot of sitting, I'd go with mid-weight 250g. I wear mine every time I go, be it 70 degrees or 30. I stand hunt mostly but I don't find it hot even when I'm stalking. I walked probably 3 miles yesterday with mine on in 40 degree temps and was comfortable.

If you're looking to save and are patient, you can catch Smartwool on sale on some of the online stores that carry it. Black Orvis also shows up pretty regularly on Camofire.

Bump79

WKR
Since you're doing a lot of sitting, I'd go with mid-weight 250g. I wear mine every time I go, be it 70 degrees or 30. I stand hunt mostly but I don't find it hot even when I'm stalking. I walked probably 3 miles yesterday with mine on in 40 degree temps and was comfortable.

If you're looking to save and are patient, you can catch Smartwool on sale on some of the online stores that carry it. Black Orvis also shows up pretty regularly on Camofire.
True, if you are sitting a lot then a 250 is fine. I still think a 150 weight is much more versatile with a fleece. More warmth & breathability for less weight and bulk.

Last edited:
True, if you are sitting a lot then a 250 is fine. I still think a 150 weight is much more versatile with a fleece. More warmth & breathability for less weight and bulk.
Guess I’m just cold natured. I usually wear two 250g merino base tops, a Klamath fleece and Woodbury coat when I’m sitting in 30 degrees or less.

Drenalin

WKR
I’ve been using Minus33 this year and really like it, but the 235g stuff I picked out is too heavy, mostly due to dry time. A lot of my hunts are an hour or so of hiking followed by a couple hours of sitting. I’m eyeballing the Stone Glacier Chinook stuff, which is 170g, and plan to throw on some combination of Peloton 97, 240, and Kenai over it when stationary.

Bump79

WKR
I’ve been using Minus33 this year and really like it, but the 235g stuff I picked out is too heavy, mostly due to dry time. A lot of my hunts are an hour or so of hiking followed by a couple hours of sitting. I’m eyeballing the Stone Glacier Chinook stuff, which is 170g, and plan to throw on some combination of Peloton 97, 240, and Kenai over it when stationary.
This would be a much better setup in my opinion. The Kenai is fragile in my experience though, it is a true mid layer and not an outer layer.

Drenalin

WKR
This would be a much better setup in my opinion. The Kenai is fragile in my experience though, it is a true mid layer and not an outer layer.
Very true - I only wear it while stationary and it needs a hard shell if there's any wind. I did end up getting the Chinook base layers from SG and like them a lot.

jd1006

WKR
lightweight merino into lightweight fleece into wind resistant/proof, into down/synthetic insulation is how I layer.

Sitka lightweight merino, Peloton 97, Peloton 240/Black Diamond Alpine Start/Sitka Mountain Vest/Sitka Flash Pullover, Sitka Kelvin Active Hoody/SG Grumman/Kifaru Lost Park Pants and Parka

huck

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with B ,go light and layer .If you want to save few $ look at Midway USA ,Ive got 2 yrs on a merino set and they still look good .