Merino boxers.... am I nuts?

Anybody with real world experience using merino boxers like the sitka or first lite wick- does your junk feel wet in them after sweating? I am considering a pair or two of them for elk season but I'm a little uneasy about my junk staying wet after the hike up...

Are there better alternatives?

Is this a real issue or am I just nuts?

OP
E
So for those of you who do have merino.... give me the pros and cons? I have thunder thighs and they have been known to wear out the inner thighs of most fabrics while they try to start a fire when I'm walking around. Merino isn't the most durable fabric, so could you see this being an issue?

sndmn11

WKR
So for those of you who do have merino.... give me the pros and cons? I have thunder thighs and they have been known to wear out the inner thighs of most fabrics while they try to start a fire when I'm walking around. Merino isn't the most durable fabric, so could you see this being an issue?

Get merino blended with nylon if you do go that route, NOT polyester.

OP
E
OP
E
Get merino blended with nylon if you do go that route, NOT polyester.
Nylon and Merino play a lot nicer, is it just because the nylon is more durable or is there some other black magic that I am not thinking about?

I've worn out the crotch of 2 obsidians from thigh rub, but my first lite wick's are still going strong. I do recommend having a couple of pairs though, at the very least my skin cannot handle the concoction that a week of sweating makes in any boxer briefs. My daily wear is under armor, I don't notice the wick staying wet any longer than those things do. Simply on smell alone, I could not wear synthetic in an extended showerless, high exertion scenario.

OP
E
I've worn out the crotch of 2 obsidians from thigh rub, but my first lite wick's are still going strong. I do recommend having a couple of pairs though, at the very least my skin cannot handle the concoction that a week of sweating makes in any boxer briefs. My daily wear is under armor, I don't notice the wick staying wet any longer than those things do. Simply on smell alone, I could not wear synthetic in an extended showerless, high exertion scenario.
That's my thoughts too. I'm a sweaty beast so I might need to pack 2 pairs and keep 2 at the truck....

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I still use some of the Core 4 original 100% merino boxer briefs, but ya, after several archery elk seasons they're developing some holes. I'll probably look to the Minus 33 ones.

As for performance, they actually absorb my sweat as opposed to synthetic that just seem to rub it around. I can't stand all that wetness staying on me, which is why I use merino for base layers. I tried synthetic boxers one time, it was horrible. I sweat nonstop while elk hunting, even if it's cold out......because I'm always moving.

Multiple days of hard use before the stink where most synthetics will scare a skunk after a day or two of hard use.

But just wear a WKR patch and all of your scent worries go away. Look at the gear lists and the lack of spare socks and underwear.

c670809

FNG
I've tried many different brands but not either of the ones you've listed. I love them but have given up on wool for underwear because it wears out quickly. It. It might be fine for a hunt but not daily wear.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Due to sweat I use synthetic early season and then switch around October 1 to Merino for a little extra insulation.

I've used FL wick boxers, and was very disappointed with their durability. Under Amour briefs have been my go to the last couple years, been very happy with them durability wise and wearing them for longer periods of time.