Merino boxers.... am I nuts?

OP
E
I was just looking at that. Not a bad price at all! Any experience with them?

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
not a fan or merino for boxers for hunting/backpacking. they just seem to stretch out, chaffe, and stay clammy like the OP said. i'm a giant fan of the UA boxerjock 6" boxer briefs. I use them for hunting, hiking, backpacking, soccer, literally everything active. there are ways to combat the funk with non-merino undies. use some wet wipes on the reg and do a little manscaping lol, bring a spare pair for day 4 or so.. helps a ton.

OP
E
These have held up similar to first lite, but about half the price.

I have a top and bottoms of theirs and I have really enjoyed them! I didn't know they made boxers too. Thanks!

I wear Black Ovis merino. Since my first pair I have bought many more. Probably have a dozen pair now. Catch them on sale at Camofire. Kinda crazy I still have not stretched or wore out the first pair that have to be 6+ years old.

OP
E
I wear Black Ovis merino. Since my first pair I have bought many more. Probably have a dozen pair now. Catch them on sale at Camofire. Kinda crazy I still have not stretched or wore out the first pair that have to be 6+ years old.
If you don't mind me asking, what's your build? I have heard they run thin on the legs. I have tree trunks so I have steered clear.

bigbuckdj

WKR
Hah man that sucks. Everybody is crapping on first lite. With their sale, I finally decided to spend on some game bag briefs. I have about 20 pairs of exofficios that I’ve accumulated over the years. I’ve never had a problem with them. They might be worth looking at if merino doesn’t work for you.

OP
E
Hah man that sucks. Everybody is crapping on first lite. With their sale, I finally decided to spend on some game bag briefs. I have about 20 pairs of exofficios that I’ve accumulated over the years. I’ve never had a problem with them. They might be worth looking at if merino doesn’t work for you.
My experience with first lite is limited, and if you like them that's awesome!

How do the ex officios run for size? I'm a large waist with big booty Judy and thick thighs so it's tough for me to find stuff that fits

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I looked at the Smartwool, but they're only 55% merino. I haven't liked any of the blended merino shirts that I've had. Just ordered a couple different brands of 100% merino boxer's, as my Core 4 are wearing thin.

OP
E

How do the ex officios run for size? I'm a large waist with big booty Judy and thick thighs so it's tough for me to find stuff that fits

I looked at the Smartwool, but they're only 55% merino. I haven't liked any of the blended merino shirts that I've had. Just ordered a couple different brands of 100% merino boxer's, as my Core 4 are wearing thin.
What did you get!?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Smartwool Boxers are 87% Merino, the small amount of nylon only makes them more durable

Lots of 20+ mile days, lots of bagged peaks, lots of multi-day trips and they’re still going strong

bigbuckdj

WKR

I’m thicc and wear a 36 in most pants, i wear an XL in exofficios. They stretch a good amount without cutting into my thighs. It sounds like you are thinner than me but I have the same issue, my thighs and behind normally drive the size of whatever I’m wearing vs the waist. Too bad my biceps don’t drive the size of my shirts haha.

Edit to add:
Most of the merino underwear and even base layers are merino nylon blends, I had some merino poly blend baselayers that sucked, but I’ve never had a problem with any merino nylon or spandex blend. I don’t remember the poly percentage of the one I hated. I think the nylon makes it more durable. I have some old 100% merino first lite, seems to stretch a little easier than the newer blends. I’d bet the stone glacier undies are probably pretty good too just looking at the specs.

Last edited: