Merino or Synthetic for archery elk.

I prefer synthetic myself. My skin stays pretty darn dry when I’m hiking around in my Sitka core lightweight hoody. I’ve worn it for 5 day hunts and haven’t noticed really any odor, but I also probably sweat less than the average person.

I like a merino T-shirt and boxer briefs. Even though it takes longer to dry, I prefer it for my next to skin layer. I haven't tried the newer Kuiu but found the older stuff to be itchy. First lite has been my wool base layer preference.

For me - the poly blended merino's are the best product. In a 50/50 configuration they feel just like merino against my skin. A pure polyester holds only like .3% water and dries stupid quick but the "wicking" action isn't really there as it doesn't have as much capacity to get it off the skin. With a merino blend 50/50 the merino takes in some moisture at 33% (cotton is like 2300%) but dries faster & still has the next to skin merino feel. Plus they're generally more durable than 100% merino.

My vote goes for something like a Born Privative 150 gsm 1/4 zip hoody.

For me - the poly blended merino's are the best product. In a 50/50 configuration they feel just like merino against my skin. A pure polyester holds only like .3% water and dries stupid quick but the "wicking" action isn't really there as it doesn't have as much capacity to get it off the skin. With a merino blend 50/50 the merino takes in some moisture at 33% (cotton is like 2300%) but dries faster & still has the next to skin merino feel. Plus they're generally more durable than 100% merino.

My vote goes for something like a Born Privative 150 gsm 1/4 zip hoody.
Can you explain more about how polyester doesn’t have as much capacity to wick moisture off the skin?

I remember my introduction to polypro base layers in winter sports back in the early 80s. It was awesome.

I remember trying merino in the 2000s and it was okay but nothing special.

I’m all synthetic for hunting and working out now with just one fishnet merino and one holey thread bare merino t shirt left. There’s nothing these fabrics do that prevent a critter from winding you. If your odor offends yourself take your little sun rag off your hat and wash your nastiness in the nearest creek. Trust me, even 4th rifle there is some part of that creek that’s still flowing and that cold sting doesn’t last forever. You don’t need to smell pretty to kill elk.

Last edited:
Can you explain more about how polyester doesn’t have as much capacity to wick moisture off the skin?
I think of wicking as a ratio of absorption to evaporation rates. Picture dipping a garment into water and seeing how far the capillary action pulls the water into the material. Cotton would pull in an incredible amount of water - but the evaporation rate is the same. Meaning you're just wet. Polyester pulls very little water into it's fabric and isn't "wicking" much in my opinion.

Polyester has the ability to retain like .3% of it's weight in water - meaning it's not very absorbent. However, it dries extremely quickly due to this. If I'm exerting heavily with polyester and sweating - often I just feel the sweat on my skin as the polyester can't pull it off quick enough. Merino brings to moisture into it some and holds it away from the skin. More comfortable in my opinion.

I've tried the merino synthetic blends and didn't care as much for them as I like my 100% merino better. And I'm always going pretty much nonstop during elk season, so I'm always sweating.

Plus one for merino here. I wear it year round anymore and love it. Never stinks, dries fast enough (and you can hang it by a fire without it melting), keeps you warm when it's cool and cool when it's warm. The only thing better I can think of would be alpaca, but I am not spending the money for that tiny upgrade.

Both definitely have their place, but it seems i always reach for Merino when packing for a hunting trip. Not saying better but probably my comfort level.

For elk hunting, merino wool. Use the lightest fabric weight you can find. Preferably in a camo pattern so it can be worn by itself.

(I used synthetic for my first couple of years. It works, just not nearly as well for elk hunting, and definitely stinks after a few days. No comparison. Merino is significantly better IME).

This conversation pretty much says what you need to know. I am surprised to hear about this wet dog smell from merino. I’ve bought KUIU merino going back 5-6 years and I never have any odor of any kind from them. I hunt warm and hot weather in merino and only wash them every 3-4 wears. Even soaked with sweat I never smell anything. But synthetics stink up almost immediately on me. No lie about the Peloton 97. That stuff is incredibly warm for the weight.

I wear all brands of merino (First Lite, Stone Glacier, Sitka, etc). I search for the right weight and a good fit. But to be clear about Kuiu on this thread:
Kuiu's original (circa 2011-2013) merino wasn't near as nice as some other brands and it did smell like an animal when damp. They upgraded a long time ago now (Nuyarn?) and it's great.

100 percent do Merino for base layers at least. I spend the majority of my time in a light hoodie. Also merino underwear or the thin full base bottoms especially for backpacking , they do get stinky nearly as fast. Merino does rip easier so you have be careful. It does not make good outer especially pants. The first lite merino ones are light and overall great but they rip VERY easily.

I’m a die hard merino person. Seems like no matter the temp I get cold in synthetic no matter how I layer it. I think it may have something to do with the conditions here west of the cascades. Also, the vast majority of my merino is the Kuiu pro with the exception of some short sleeves that are older 145. And to be fair I wear synthetic boxers as I’ve never found any merino ones that don’t rub or scratch somewhere.

Hooded merino for me regardless of temperature. Somewhere between 115-150. Early mornings I cover ot with some type of grid fleece, but merino next to skin.

Synthetic.
Better wear, better colorfast fabric and I don't stink (really) so merino has no real benefit to me.
My socks are merino, FWIW.

Early to mid-season hunts I wear merino base layers, either FL or Kuiu. I find FL to be more durable. Later "active" cold weather hunts I sometimes will layer a light synthetic base top underneath a heavier merino midlayer.

Back