Which layer do you put the most importance on?

Which layer is most important to you

• Mid layer

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Puffy

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • Base layer

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Pant

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Boot

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Shell/outer layer

Votes: 22 20.0%

• Total voters
OP
E
Three pairs of Crispi's after several years of trying and rejecting different boots- not due to the boots not being good, strictly fitment- Crispi's fit my feet :)
Same for me. New crispis feel just like my old warn out ones and I can usually count on the new model feeling like the old ones. Which models do you like?

OP
E
My latest pair of boots are some Crispi Lapponia II, which have been excellent for my feet on backpacking trips. I like to backpack hunt, and they are the most stable platform I've used thus far.

The pants I keep coming back to are the Sitka Mountain Pants. They are too hot for early season hunts, but they are bullet proof. Not gonna lie, those kneepads are a life saver for someone who's had surgery before.

My non-negotiable shell is the Sitka Mountain Evo. I've worn it for every season thus far and, for anything other than midday early season, in bringing it. I'll adjust base/mid layers around it, before thinking about leaving it home.

Darn Tough makes the best socks. Plus, the warranty is real, verified by experience.
I love me some lapponias but didn't try the 2s yet since my 1s just won't die on me. I wore them for 75+ days of hunting last year from early elk, through deer and all the way into upland late season here. Love them

If sitka would eliminate the zippers on the pockets of the mountain pants, I'd be in to try them... every time I try them on I just can't get over that part. Do they bug your hands? I throw a knife in my pocket everywhere I go and I'm just not in love with the zipper.

I still don't have a mountain evo yet but I think that's going to have to change with how good @mtnwarden says it is. I'd like one in a neutral color to wear for even more use biking running and everything else. I have heard the fit is different on it- what's size is you're?

I do love darn tough, especially their thinner ones (my feet sweat a lot so too thick is bad for me) but I think farm to feet damascus is my favorite.... and they have a great warranty too! Which models of darn tough do you typically use?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same for me. New crispis feel just like my old warn out ones and I can usually count on the new model feeling like the old ones. Which models do you like?

I've got two pairs of Thors (bought a lightly used pair on this forum for cheap after I found out how well I like them w/ the first pair) and a pair of all leather Briksdal's that I got for my sheep hunt- they fit just like the Thor's.

I do know that they use different lasts in different boots, so they might not all fit the same???? Thors and Briksdal's are GTG for me.

OP
E
I've got two pairs of Thors (bought a lightly used pair on this forum for cheap after I found out how well I like them w/ the first pair) and a pair of all leather Briksdal's that I got for my sheep hunt- they fit just like the Thor's.

I do know that they use different lasts in different boots, so they might not all fit the same???? Thors and Briksdal's are GTG for me.
I found the original summits and lapponias worked great for me, but I'll check out the thoroughly and briksdals if i need a full leather boot in the future here!

I feel a mid layer is where the versatility comes in really handy. A medium weight, windproof, DWR mid can act as an outer shell on not to cold days. If stationary say around 50f low. On colder and/or wet days add a shell to extend its use. On warm days unzip or take it off. When temps drop a few degrees put it on to take the edge off. 70f-35f maybe 30f is the range I’m thinking for highs and lows. When it starts to get really cold, wet, or windy more insulation and a shell becomes a priority. It is so situational dependent, emphasis on one is difficult.

OP
E
I feel a mid layer is where the versatility comes in really handy. A medium weight, windproof, DWR mid can act as an outer shell on not to cold days. If stationary say around 50f low. On colder and/or wet days add a shell to extend its use. On warm days unzip or take it off. When temps drop a few degrees put it on to take the edge off. 70f-35f maybe 30f is the range I’m thinking for highs and lows. When it starts to get really cold, wet, or windy more insulation and a shell becomes a priority. It is so situational dependent, emphasis on one is difficult.
I think I'm in this same camp! What do you like for mid layers?

I think I'm in this same camp! What do you like for mid layers?
Something like KUIU StrongFleece, Peloton 240 or First Lite Tempest or Source vest. They are good for light wind resistance, somewhat durable, and good warmth to weight ratio. DWR helps with light, brief rain or early morning dew on brush.

How do you like that mh ghost whisperer? I see them pop up on sale all he time but I've never had them. My favorite cheap mid layer I have right now is a mH grid fleece that really turned me on to the company
Hard to beat from an oz to oz comparative @ 8.8oz its light. Think i got mine for 40% off.

its not the jacket you want to beat brush with though. its ultra light, warm and delicate. Think mine has a couple tenious tape patches, I wear the evo or M7 over alot if its that cold when moving. I normally only wear puffy glassing or camp, not moving

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The one that I would get cold if I didn’t have. That’s always the most important. I couldn’t pick which was more important.

The layer next to my skin. Got to keep the skin dry.
The layer that keeps me and the insulation dry.
The insulating layer that holds the heat it.

When it comes to the one that it’s important to spend the money on, that’s the wind/water shell.

Fletch

FNG
I primarily do flyout hunts and put more emphasis on insulating and outer layers as those will keep you alive if shit goes sideways.

jchamwv

FNG
For me it's the boots/socks. If my feet are comfortable and can go farther and longer. I always pack layers because the weather is always changing so feet are my must have.

Lowg08

WKR
For me. It’s the mid also. My base layer always stays the same. I wear knee length first lite wick boxers and over the calf wool socks and either a wick hoodie or crew. My mid layers are adjusted my temps. 2 diff weight zip offs and 2 different tops.

2-Stix

WKR
Shell is the one that can cost you your life in my opinion and expierece. I have a mountaineering, climbing, backpacking and offroad dirtbiking background and I have been pindown before unplanned. 3 layer gortex and a bivy at 13k+ feet under Mt Sill in the Sierra Nevada, the middle of the high desert on the bike, and at 8k deep in the woods on the bike. These are rare cases.

Generally speaking...good boots and a wool baselayer top.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve always had good gortex shells and it’s expensive, but they just don’t seem to cause any problems. I was shocked last weekend when our oldest son was still wearing an olive drab Marmot shell we bought him like 8 years ago - he’s hard on clothes and that might be the only piece of clothing he owns that’s survived that long. Lol

Geewhiz

WKR
It seams like a weird question to me. You cant have any without the others. Got to have a base, got to have insulation, got to have a shell. Beyond that, you're gonna have to get more situation specific.

Sometimes I only wear base and shell, sometimes I only wear base and insulation. I always wear a base layer but its not as crucial as other layers depending on a given set of environmentals.

OP
E
It seams like a weird question to me. You cant have any without the others. Got to have a base, got to have insulation, got to have a shell. Beyond that, you're gonna have to get more situation specific.

Sometimes I only wear base and shell, sometimes I only wear base and insulation. I always wear a base layer but its not as crucial as other layers depending on a given set of environmentals.
So in the case of yourself, it sounds like you are always in a base?

2-Stix

WKR

The question is which layer do you put the most importance on?

You could have crap boots, junk shell, no mid layer because of the climate but you are all fired up on your mousture wicking red panties.

OP
E
The question is which layer do you put the most importance on?

You could have crap boots, junk shell, no mid layer because of the climate but you are all fired up on your mousture wicking red panties.
Where does one find red? All mine are black lacey fishnet ones....