Merrell Moab 3

So I own a pair of crispi summit gtx that have been really good to me, recently I developed some bullshit with my big toe knuckle giving me issues, only sometimes but enough to wear my crispis don't feel right ir give me a sore spot on that knuckle, anyways the wife and I walked into a merrell outlet she was gonna get some new work shoes and liked them before, I seen the moab 3s tried them on and they felt broken in like I had owned them for a year or more already so with the buy one get one half off we did it , I'm hoping they will prove to be a good early season boot if they pass my hiking/training this summer without destroying my feet they will be coming to Montana this October on my muley hunt, if anyone has any feedback on this purchase of mine or with merrell comfortability or quality of these boots feel free to chime in I'm gonna give em a shot.

Attachments

• 16798673641762146227476446600432.jpg
    16798673641762146227476446600432.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 34
OP
Bighunt531
I’ve owned several as rei just kept swapping them out. They’re decent dry ground hikers, leaked like a sieve.
Yeah they don't look to waterproof the guy at the outlet said they are despite the vented look he said they made changes for the moab 3 so we will see not really into wet feet and walking miles

Drenalin

WKR
I wear them all the time. I can also count on wearing a pair out in any given hunting season; they’re more suited for trail hiking than off trail. But like you said, they’re comfortable so I wear them anyway. My GTXs aren’t quite as wide as I’d like in the toe box, but the MOABs are great there. The flex, which is part of what makes them comfortable, can cause pain in steep and rocky areas. I’ve been advised to swap out the insoles, which I’ll do with my next pair this summer. And yeah, you’ll get wet feet in them.

OP
Bighunt531
I wear them all the time. I can also count on wearing a pair out in any given hunting season; they’re more suited for trail hiking than off trail. But like you said, they’re comfortable so I wear them anyway. My GTXs aren’t quite as wide as I’d like in the toe box, but the MOABs are great there. The flex, which is part of what makes them comfortable, can cause pain in steep and rocky areas. I’ve been advised to swap out the insoles, which I’ll do with my next pair this summer. And yeah, you’ll get wet feet in them.
So if the grass is wet don't plan on keeping feet dry or were talking walking through puddles and stuff

Drenalin

WKR
So if the grass is wet don't plan on keeping feet dry or were talking walking through puddles and stuff
I was mostly talking about creek crossings. But it depends how long you’re walking around in wet grass too - they’ll get saturated after a little while. The good news is, they dry out relatively quickly 😉

OP
Bighunt531
I was mostly talking about creek crossings. But it depends how long you’re walking around in wet grass too - they’ll get saturated after a little while. The good news is, they dry out relatively quickly 😉
Dude nice I'm pretty surprised on comfort looking forward to bowhunting with them

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
They are comfortable but they didn't last for me. I had a pair of prior generation lows that lasted less than a year. I used them for light trail hiking on relatively flat trails.

OP
Bighunt531
They are comfortable but they didn't last for me. I had a pair of prior generation lows that lasted less than a year. I used them for light trail hiking on relatively flat trails.
Thanks for the input man seems like they don't last Las long as others from what people are saying

IronM

Lil-Rokslider
Bughunt531, I too was having the same foot problem you described in my Crispi boots too. So I just loosened up the lacing directly above that area (to decrease the pressure on my toe area) but secured the lacing around the ankle area down tight and it helped a lot. Also I have been a Moab person forever, but the Moab 2 just wasn’t cutting it. Got the 3 and really am enjoying the upgrade. I always replace the original sole liner with my custom orthotics though.

OP
Bighunt531
Bughunt531, I too was having the same foot problem you described in my Crispi boots too. So I just loosened up the lacing directly above that area (to decrease the pressure on my toe area) but secured the lacing around the ankle area down tight and it helped a lot. Also I have been a Moab person forever, but the Moab 2 just wasn’t cutting it. Got the 3 and really am enjoying the upgrade. I always replace the original sole liner with my custom orthotics though.
Wow man thanks for the tip!!!!! I think I'll have them both with me this season

Turkeyfreak12

Lil-Rokslider
I wear moabs when hunting desert muleys in Arizona. They were great lightweight and was able to pack out a few deer with no issues. Just liked how well they breathed. I didn’t have the gtx version so if there was rain I never used them. They are a great little boot.

I wear moabs when hunting desert muleys in Arizona. They were great lightweight and was able to pack out a few deer with no issues. Just liked how well they breathed. I didn’t have the gtx version so if there was rain I never used them. They are a great little boot.
How do they handle the assorted cactus spines through the soles and the sides?

Turkeyfreak12

Lil-Rokslider
How do they handle the assorted cactus spines through the soles and the sides?
Soles I never had one get through. Sides would go through if you hit it hard enough. Main complaint was cholla spines sticking to it. Hiked plenty of slot canyons in them not paying attention and never had issues where as I had a buddy in one of the canyons kicked a prickly pear and the spine went into his foot.

NB7

WKR
I owned 2 pairs of Merrell Moabs many years back and I have also owned Crispi Summits GTXs for a couple years now. Big difference in the stiffness of the sole, so depends what you're used to in the Crispis and if you want that. The Merrell soles are much more flexible and that's why they feel broke in. I remember that about them, but after two pairs of them I noticed the sole support in both were pretty much done after a year. My recommendation would be, since they are basically broken in out of the box, is to get a pair to train in over the summer and buy a brand new pair right before your hunt. Good luck

OP
Bighunt531
I owned 2 pairs of Merrell Moabs many years back and I have also owned Crispi Summits GTXs for a couple years now. Big difference in the stiffness of the sole, so depends what you're used to in the Crispis and if you want that. The Merrell soles are much more flexible and that's why they feel broke in. I remember that about them, but after two pairs of them I noticed the sole support in both were pretty much done after a year. My recommendation would be, since they are basically broken in out of the box, is to get a pair to train in over the summer and buy a brand new pair right before your hunt. Good luck
Not a bad idea