Why the hell do my big toes biggest joints hurt?

Here’s the deal. I’ve owned a pair of Lowa Renegades for two years. I’m a relatively large guy that is 6’5” and about 250.

Recently I did about 7 miles with about a 25 pound pack. The elevation gain was moderate and mostly shorts stints up and down about 100 feet. It is rocky cliffs terrain.

I’ve never had toe problems. My feet were killing me by the end, specifically in my big toes at the largest knuckle. My toes were numb the next day.

I went out yesterday and did about 6. It wasn’t as bad, but not good. I need to get set for spring bear.

Are my boots broke down? Probably… is it that they are too flexible? I did text and I can really bend them.

Seems like I need new boots. What should I get? Ask me questions to help.

I didn't have the toe box issue as bad, but I've worn Renegades since I started hunting; switched to the Camino GTX boot because it can be resoled, and the toe box is a lot more generous/square, while still keeping the same fit as the Renegade.

Divide93

FNG
Hopefully this is just a boot fit problem. I had to wear a pair of ski boots (a tad too small) years ago on short notice to help my stepsons. It was a painful day and I lost both big toe nails. From remembering buddies of mine with gout it never affected both of their feet at the same time.......

ChrisAU

WKR
It is on the top outside of the knuckle.

Your boots may be too large and the crease point of the boot isn't lining up with the natural crease of your foot between your foot and toes and instead is pinching/hitting that area. Had it happen to me this past fall on an elk hunt. I needed 11W Crispis (I thought), they were out so I got 11.5 normal width. I would feel minor discomfort when training leading up to the hunt for a bit and then it would go away. Thought it was the boot breaking in. In fact it was that crease point numbing that area and then just pounding it all day. My big toes eventually lost feeling in them all together after being in extreme pain. I still have some numbness in my right big toe almost 6 months later. This hunt only lasted 4 days. I went to a doc and we measured everything and I ordered like 6 pairs of boots from Black Ovis and it turns out that 10.5W was the size that fit me best, so length wise I was wearing a full size too long.

OP
Hammsolo

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
Your boots may be too large and the crease point of the boot isn't lining up with the natural crease of your foot between your foot and toes and instead is pinching/hitting that area. Had it happen to me this past fall on an elk hunt. I needed 11W Crispis (I thought), they were out so I got 11.5 normal width. I would feel minor discomfort when training leading up to the hunt for a bit and then it would go away. Thought it was the boot breaking in. In fact it was that crease point numbing that area and then just pounding it all day. My big toes eventually lost feeling in them all together after being in extreme pain. I still have some numbness in my right big toe almost 6 months later. This hunt only lasted 4 days. I went to a doc and we measured everything and I ordered like 6 pairs of boots from Black Ovis and it turns out that 10.5W was the size that fit me best, so length wise I was wearing a full size too long.

Great strategy! It started with numbness!

OP
Hammsolo

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
Tried on countless pairs of boots yesterday at multiple shops. I ended up at Black Sheep in CDA. I found the winner for my feet. I even wore them out to a 40th birthday party for my wife’s friend. I love that they’re local, but I tried to keep anything other than fit and feel out of the equation. Yes, I think they’re a great looking boot, but that’s just an “and 1.” The quality appears flawless at this point. I love the black leather and how plush it is. I’ll update as I break them in and put the miles on. Thanks for all the input.E2DD3A36-091F-4E98-A4CF-A53337613FFF.jpeg4538E8B1-839C-4852-8CBF-75A5248FD73C.jpeg

Mojave

WKR
I agree with the other posts. I'd have gout ruled out by a doctor. Gout can damage the kidneys as well as joints.
My gout cure is an all meat diet. Works for me. Counter what most doctors are telling people, but a lot of doctors have had good luck switching people with gout to carnivore.

kcm2

WKR
Your feet don't stay the same size throughout your adult life. All that hammering on them by hard hiking can and will make them bigger. But have a doctor check you out and also, get your fit checked out. I had a pair of boots that were fine for me for years cause massive blisters in 2022. Foot got bigger and there were no longer room for my big toes.

Tried on countless pairs of boots yesterday at multiple shops. I ended up at Black Sheep in CDA. I found the winner for my feet. I even wore them out to a 40th birthday party for my wife’s friend. I love that they’re local, but I tried to keep anything other than fit and feel out of the equation. Yes, I think they’re a great looking boot, but that’s just an “and 1.” The quality appears flawless at this point. I love the black leather and how plush it is. I’ll update as I break them in and put the miles on. Thanks for all the input.View attachment 681954View attachment 681955
I have a pair of those. We can be twinsies when we go bear hunting.

Orchemo

Lil-Rokslider
Simple blood test for gout. Long hikes leading to slight dehydration, can push crystal formation.

That being said if new boots work, that is great.

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
Half of my left big toe went numb after this years archery elk hunt, didn’t get feeling back for a couple months. Boots that I’ve been wearing for 3 years and seemed fine the whole week then noticed I couldn’t feel the side of my big toe after being home for a day. Weirdest thing. Wonder if I need to get checked for gout?