Why the hell do my big toes biggest joints hurt?

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s the deal. I’ve owned a pair of Lowa Renegades for two years. I’m a relatively large guy that is 6’5” and about 250.

Recently I did about 7 miles with about a 25 pound pack. The elevation gain was moderate and mostly shorts stints up and down about 100 feet. It is rocky cliffs terrain.

I’ve never had toe problems. My feet were killing me by the end, specifically in my big toes at the largest knuckle. My toes were numb the next day.

I went out yesterday and did about 6. It wasn’t as bad, but not good. I need to get set for spring bear.

Are my boots broke down? Probably… is it that they are too flexible? I did text and I can really bend them.

Seems like I need new boots. What should I get? Ask me questions to help.

OP
Hammsolo

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
I only have the pain post long hikes with a reasonable pack. It’s only happened a few times, and slowly heals after. It feels like a strain.

rideold

WKR
I'd rule out gout before pushing it. Those crystals that form in the joint can do some long term damage. I have a right toe that does a similar thing (without the numbness). Feels fine until I start walking and then some distance in it starts to hurt. Sometimes it clears up, sometimes it doesn't. I have to be careful about my footwear. The more my shoes are worn out the worse it gets. The softer the flex and sole the worse it it. I don't walk around barefoot.

OP
Hammsolo

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
Where’s the best place to try on boots near Spokane?

manitou1

WKR
er boot parts don't just "break down" IMO... unless you see visible signs or excessive wear.
Insoles do break down and are easily replaced.

My guess is: You toes are bumping inside your boots, causing the pain.

Prolonged use can cause damage.
Try a larger size with good "ankle lock lacing".

I used to be in the belief that boots had to fit really snug. If one learns proper lacing and has good boots they do not have to be snug in the tow area.

Vaultman

WKR
Where’s the best place to try on boots near Spokane?
Used to be a great boot store accross from Northtown, but the red lobster and other stuff took over. Can't remember the name of the guy there, but I bought a lot of boots from him. Bummer he's not there anymore.

Don't know if they make a hiking boot, but White's Boots is there in Spokane. I know some people love them.
Also Nick's are made there too. I think they may both be pretty spendy options, but If I was looking for work boots and still lived inland NW I would go to one of them.

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
I sometimes get it in my left big toe joint, usually when it's cold.
If I can get some heat, even heat from my other foot on it, it stops immediately.
Weird.
I just deal with it.

OP
Hammsolo

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
They’re not too short. As an athlete that has mashed toes in cleats I know that feeling. I’ve also had boots do the same.

They seem to bending easier at the big toe…

I’ll get checked for gout. I don’t need any more lasting health issues.

Nick’s and White’s have great reputation , but I think their focus is work boots.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I had a similar issue with a new pair of Crispi boots and thought I just had to break them in more but the problem still persisted after about 50 miles of ruck hiking. Felt terrible spending that kind of money on boots that I dreaded wearing. Looked up some different ways to lace and tie boots and it made an immediate difference. Turns out my foot was sliding forward just enough to cram my toes forward. Proper lacing keeps my foot in place now and I’ve never had any issues since

As to the question about where to try on boots near Spokane? I would give Hoffman’s over in Kellogg a call. See what they have in stock at their storefront. They have their own line of boots and a few of the popular brands on their website.