Mesa Precision Arms Carbon Fiber Altitude Stock

Sled

WKR
Not to be rude, however I am going to go against the grain and say- this, like almost all others, is a poorly designed stock for shooting.

This is why-

Everyone keeps dropping the recoil line below the barrel. The distance between the top of the pad and the bottom of the line is wasted recoil/muzzle lift control. The stock is actually fighting against you seeing your own impacts.

If we imagine that the barrel is perfectly level, then a stock should have a negative comb (butt pad higher than action), vertical grip, level front to back on bottom from butt pad to grip or nearly so (or at least a portion), forend level front to back.

Ridiculously the factory T3x stock with vertical grip installed still has probably the best function of any of them.

what lite weight aftermarket stock would you suggest? the factory t3 has too much forearm flex but might stiffen up with some epoxy.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
what lite weight aftermarket stock would you suggest? the factory t3 has too much forearm flex but might stiffen up with some epoxy.

Really none. No one is doing it right but Gunwerks, and they’re not available.

As for the T3x stock, can’t say I agree on the couple of dozen I’ve used. They’re not as stiff as a McMillian, but they’re stiff enough after removing a bit in the barrel channel.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
Not to be rude, however I am going to go against the grain and say- this, like almost all others, is a poorly designed stock for shooting.

This is why-

Everyone keeps dropping the recoil line below the barrel. The distance between the top of the pad and the bottom of the line is wasted recoil/muzzle lift control. The stock is actually fighting against you seeing your own impacts.

If we imagine that the barrel is perfectly level, then a stock should have a negative comb (butt pad higher than action), vertical grip, level front to back on bottom from butt pad to grip or nearly so (or at least a portion), forend level front to back.

Ridiculously the factory T3x stock with vertical grip installed still has probably the best function of any of them.

Maybe you have vastly more experience than other folks on this, but your drawing does not represent that the action and barrel actually sit in the stock-lower than the line indicates. Also-it’s a hunting stock. My biggest complaint with the factory tikka stock is that when I naturally mount the rifle behind a 50mm scope my head falls below the eyepiece. I have to them adjust my head in an unnatural position that is hard to reproduce in the field and in my opinion these stocks are why guys get scope bit in the field so often. I’ve had great success with factory Mcmillian stocks on sniper rifles in the past wouldn’t classify them as “poor for shooting.” Who knows, maybe we were all wrong and just adjusted to be successful.

I’ll let y’all know how the stock works out when I get my bolted up. -Elijah

Hmmmm, I am super tempted to try this one. I am having trouble getting comfortable behind my ridgeline and was thinking of upgrading the stock anyway, this would save the 6 month wait and some weight over the factory ridgeline.

Looking at this you would need to at least bed the recoil lug for better accuracy, at least from what I know. Who knows, maybe it really is drop in ready?

FURMAN

WKR

This is why-

I can't disagree with anything you said but there are trade offs with the drop at the toe being too little. If there is none it makes if very difficult to change elevation in many prone positions in the mountains. As far as drop at the heel I really just do not understand why stock makers continue to add the drop at the heel. The Mesa stock is fine with the drop at the comb but I just don't get the drop at the heel. The vertical grip is one of if not the best I have shot. The Axial wins in the drop at the heel and toe but the grip could be a little more vertical. I will need much more time behind both to have a solid preference. I also just received an AG alpine and I am impressed. It is great to have so many different options.

Sled

WKR
The guys at Mesa Precision just announced their new Carbon Altitude Stock which folks have been discussing over on the custom Tikka thread. I gave them a call today and told them I would pass on the details here. There is also going to be an option for a potential Rokslide group buy when the stocks are ready towards the end of March. I'll add more info on that when I get it. Details on the stock-

-Manufactured by AG Composites (solid stocks used by many custom makers, Barrett Fieldcraft etc)
-Approximately 24oz
-No caliber restrictions
-Options for large diameter Proof barrels and factory Tikka offerings
-Future DBM options but currently for factory Tikka bottom metal (MT bottom metal replacements are supposed to fit)
-Drop-in compatible with standard Tikka actions
-Options with included lug and add on lug for re barreled actions
-Colors available on the Mesa Precision Arms website

View attachment 88920
do we have a price or a timeline on these yet? i'm trying to decide between this and the stocky's carbon M50. these mesa's look great but i'm back and forth on the vertical grip since i'm using this for mostly hunting.

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
Redhawk rifles has some in stock for Remington actions now. They are $575 through Redhawk and $599 through Mesa though I’m trying to work out a Rokslide group buy. I’ll have a price when all of stocks are available. I’m not sure about the full availability for Remington options through Mesa at this time. I would suggest giving them a call and seeing if the stock is a good fit for you. The Tikka stocks should be available at the end of March.

Last edited:

Sled

WKR
do we have a price or a timeline on these yet? i'm trying to decide between this and the stocky's carbon M50. these mesa's look great but i'm back and forth on the vertical grip since i'm using this for mostly hunting.

Not sure where my other post went but it sounds like production is still a ways out on these. Making some changes in the mould again.

Bsnyder

WKR
This may push me over the edge to buy... one for my Remington and one for a tikka build I’m planning

Sled

WKR
Got an email yesterday from Mesa and the Tikka stocks are not ready.

On the phone I was told that none are presold so when they are ready they'll have little or no wait. Unfortunately I suspect their "final version" may take a while. I might pick up a used one need year.

cowboy300

WKR
Mesa had to have AG redo the molds on the Tikkas because the 1st run had the factory bottom metal sitting 1/2" proud. The final version should be ready within the next month.

KU_Geo

WKR
Good info cowboy! Having a 280ai built on a tikka and a stock is the last part I need before sending it off so I am holding out to try one of these.