Mesa Precision Arms Crux Carbon Hunter Rifle Build and Review

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
At last year's Rokslide Idaho Bear Camp, I had the pleasure of meeting John Hakes of Mesa Precision Arms out of Grand Junction, Colorado. It didn't take long to figure out time spent with John is time spent with a serious hunter and hilariously poor Arnold Schwarzenegger impersonator. Over the week, I also got a chance to check out the 300 Winchester Magnum John was hunting with, which he built of course on his own "Crux" action. Not only did the Crux look great, but it was also shockingly light when he handed it over for inspection. The bolt filcked back smooth and easy with great timing and solid lock-up.

***Update*** Complete review available here: Mesa Precision Arms Crux Carbon Hunter

Obviously, I was going to need to investigate further. Over the winter, I kept in touch with John, and we decided it was time to put a Crux of my own through the ringer.

Meanwhile, I had met Matt Tandy at AG Composites while at SHOT show, where they showed me AG Composites' awesome line of stocks. I was already familiar with the Alpine Hunter, which my hunting partner had stocked his custom 300 Win. with the previous year. I really like my buddy's stock, so we decided to run an AG Composites stocks on an upcoming rifle build.

Well, it turns out Mesa Precision Arms worked in conjunction with AG Composites to produce Mesa Precision's own ultralight stock, the "Altitude," so everything came together for a high-end build!

The goal is a lightweight, long range, high end rifle, and the parts list reflects that (All listed weights measured by component):

3d7f2412e023f55148e1f7141a8ad553.jpg

Mesa Precision Arms Crux Titanium action with integrated lug and pinned 20 MOA rail (22 ounces)

Mesa Precision Arms Altitude Carbon Fiber Stock in "Glacier" (22.5 ounces)

Mesa Precision Arms Titanium Side Port Brake (2.3 ounces)

Wyatt's Extended MBE- 4 Internal Magazine

Wyatt's XL Follower

BAT Machine Action Screws

Trigger Tech Trigger

Mesa Precision Arms Bottom Metal

Proof Research 24" Sendero Contour 1:9 twist barrel chambered in 300 Winchester Magnum

Follow along on this thread throughout the build and testing of this rifle!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Post up some MPA pricing on all those goodies!! What's the rokslide discount code? ;)

Check MPA’s website for current pricing on accessories:

www.mesaprecisionarms.com

The carbon hunter rifle runs $3,999 to $5240 depending on options.

The chassis Comp rifle starts at $3299 and the non-carbon barreled Ascent starts at $3,134

Definitely reasonable pricing in the custom LR world.

You can check the “ready to ship” section for good deals on full rifles, too.

The Altitude Stock starts at $599 and is inletted for right or left handed short or long action model 700s and clones.

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
The stocked really weighed in at 22.5? Wow, with the vertical grip and cheek raiser I might have to pick this up. I try to support AG directly but this stock sounds better than any they offer (and I own a few of them)

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
John at Mesa got a chance to test fire the rifle and sent me the test target with factory Berger ammo:

e6f5a9994c02e96961ddf0e93cdc4341.jpg

Looks like a keeper!

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The stocked really weighed in at 22.5? Wow, with the vertical grip and cheek raiser I might have to pick this up. I try to support AG directly but this stock sounds better than any they offer (and I own a few of them)

The stock definitely checks all the boxes for a stock coming in that light.

Mesa advertises the stock at 25 ounces, but individual stocks can and do come out lighter.

Nice! I will be looking forward to hearing about the stock and how you feel about it.

The stock will definitely get some attention. Sure would make a nice upgrade to an existing Remington/clone rifle.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I received the rifle this week, and it is truly impressive.

I can’t wait to get the Mark 5 mounted up and rounds down range.

Reactions: wyo
OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Got the Mark 5 mounted and rounds down range.

7cadadaf7c8f8c2c93189bb3d607b7a1.jpg

Factory Hornady 200 ELD-X shot fairly tight:

9464a824347fafbfb8b66eaa6b9ca99b.jpg

I will not likely spend a ton of time in load development when the rifle shoots like this.

I’m going to verify the 215 Berger load that shot so well for Mesa, and maybe run a few 210 Accubonds as well.

Looks like it will shoot just about anything though.

Last edited:

OLI62

FNG
Got the Mark 5 mounted and rounds down range.

7cadadaf7c8f8c2c93189bb3d607b7a1.jpg

Factory Hornady 200 ELD-X shot fairly tight:

9464a824347fafbfb8b66eaa6b9ca99b.jpg

I will not likely spend a ton of time in load development when the rifle shoots like this.

I’m going to verify the 215 Berger load that shot so well for Mesa, and maybe run a few 210 Accubonds as well.

Looks like it will shoot just about anything though.

What rings are you running with the Mark 5?

HUNTER100

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome rifle! I have one of their altitude stocks in desert camo ready for my next build, which is very similar to yours! Curious, what's ur rig weigh? (Rifle/Scope/rings)

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome rifle! I have one of their altitude stocks in desert camo ready for my next build, which is very similar to yours! Curious, what's ur rig weigh? (Rifle/Scope/rings)

We weighed it at just a hair over 8 lbs. all up at bear camp. I will weigh it again soon and grab a pic.

The Leupold Mark 5 saves some weight over comparable competitors.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Roksliders, the Mesa Altitude stock is really impressing me. It is super light, but still very stiff.

Now the stock is available inletted for either Remington OR Tikka! John at Mesa told me the Tikka stocks are a few ounces heavier than the Remington version coming in around 28ish ounces.

Right now you can buy one from Mesa with discount code ROK at checkout and get a cool $50 discount!

If you are looking for an upgrade or putting together your own build, check it out.