Michigan Elk

Anyone on here ever draw a MI elk tag? A guy that mentored me hunting and fishing as a kid, was drawn for an antlerness tag after putting in for years. He was considering hiring a guide for private land but also asked if I’d be interested in helping him on public. I grew up in Northern Michigan and have not set eyes on the elk or elk country up there in at least 20 years. Is it feasible to be successful on public land?

Agross

WKR
I’ve been putting in for 14 yrs hoping, one of these days. Good luck to your buddy. Keep us updated on the hunt. Very cool of you 2muchhp.

Fishmaster196

Lil-Rokslider
I have been also…I’ve got points from when points started here in Michigan….
He’s a lucky man. I’m jealous!

2muchhp

WKR
Ill start with this help - parts of this process is time sensitive. I always suggest the lucky folks start this process July 5th, immediately when the results come out. Waiting will not be in your favor.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a tag 5 years ago. Probably saw over 100 elk in 2 days. It almost 100% success rate. It's an awesome hunt.

That being said 1X cow is the toughest hunt and the only one where DIYers do run the chance of not finding elk. They group up real tight in September and can be a little hard to find. A lot of the farmers will allow you to hunt their land in X as well.

Netherman

WKR
Also interested in how your hunt went. I've got a hunting buddy who drew a first season cow tag. He was asking about guided vs DIY. I told him I knew a free guide if he went DIY (sounds like fun and who knows if I'll ever draw a MI tag). I'm curious if you went guided or DIY and would love any tips or advice. I've added a few questions below, but am sure I'll have more.

My initial questions are:
1. How much of a handicap is public compared to private? It seems like they might quickly get pushed to private, which drove the broken up season (not typical of any other MI hunts).
2. What is the primary method of hunting? Is spot and stalk an option on public? Is it a still hunt game? would a stand make sense?
3. Is this a road hunt? Is most of the area viewable from roads/is that the most efficient method of finding elk. I've not spent much time in that part of the state beyond the obligatory stop at Jays on our way up to UP deer camp.
4. Does this season line up with the rut? Not sure how MI elk differ from their western cousins.
5. Are there any habitat, food, or terrain features to key in on?