Early season merino wool pant baselayer??

ClydeM

FNG
Clothing question-anyone wear a 150 weight merino wool baselayer pant in early season? I’ll be doing spot and stalk mount bear hunting in Georgia and our season starts in early September(morning temps in the 60’s, with PM temps in the mid 80’s, sometimes 90’s). I love how merino does with sweat, but don’t know if it’s will be too warm.

I have SKRE 150 merino wool pants, as well as their early season pants. I’ve worn the merino under the early season pants for early season stand hunting and more active mod season hunts, but never together for an early season spot and stalk

CObywayofUSAF

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't with those temps. Every year I take mine into the mountains and find myself wearing them less and less for early season. We get 40's early on then things warm up in a couple hours and it's just a pain taking them off. Especially if you're moving, I'd just tough out the 1 or 2 chilly first light hours.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yep I wear both top and bottom lightweight merino base 24/7 during September elk hunting......specifically because of the sweating. I'm going to be sweating regardless what I'm wearing, I might as well be comfortable while doing it. I hate wet clammy skin. The merino sucks that right up.

Bump79

WKR
I'll be using ortovox 120 3/4 leggings this fall. I wouldn't go heavier than that for that weather.

Down south as well we've got the humidity that isn't in most western states. I'd highly consider a sub 150 GSM 50/50 merino poly as it will dry nearly 50% quicker.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't wear a baselayer here in Georgia with those temps. It would be fine in the morning, but by the afternoon it would be too hot.

Personally I think the people that say that wool is good in higher temps must live in a place with low humidity. I've got a firstlite wick long sleeve shirt and it's tolerable to wear it in the 80's but I definitely feel warmer in it than I would in cotton or synthetic.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Clothing question-anyone wear a 150 weight merino wool baselayer pant in early season? I’ll be doing spot and stalk mount bear hunting in Georgia and our season starts in early September(morning temps in the 60’s, with PM temps in the mid 80’s, sometimes 90’s). I love how merino does with sweat, but don’t know if it’s will be too warm.

I have SKRE 150 merino wool pants, as well as their early season pants. I’ve worn the merino under the early season pants for early season stand hunting and more active mod season hunts, but never together for an early season spot and stalk
Great time to try FORLOH base layer: 100% sourced and Made in America, Lifetime Warranty

OP
C

ClydeM

FNG
I wouldn't wear a baselayer here in Georgia with those temps. It would be fine in the morning, but by the afternoon it would be too hot.

Personally I think the people that say that wool is good in higher temps must live in a place with low humidity. I've got a firstlite wick long sleeve shirt and it's tolerable to wear it in the 80's but I definitely feel warmer in it than I would in cotton or synthetic.
I wear a 150 wt short sleeve merino shirt even in early season, and it feels great(but there’s nothing over the top). I agree that the humidity would make the baselayer pant a no-go. Thanks

OP
C

ClydeM

FNG
Great time to try FORLOH base layer: 100% sourced and Made in America, Lifetime Warranty

These are described as a “Midweight winter base layer”, I need something for the hot, humid South

rcb2000

WKR
I hunt with Prana Zions in Virginia starting early September and won’t add a base layer until it drops to 50.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zip off base layer. I thought Skre made some? Kuiu, kings camo, first lite does. Also might consider a synthetic.

wapitibob

WKR
I wore a thin merino base layer and short pants on a Sept AZ Elk hunt. Other than that I won't wear them unless there is snow on the ground.

fwafwow

WKR

Same. I love merino but I wouldn’t wear baselayer pants in early season here in GA. I go for the Sitka early season whitetail or the Forloh pants treated for insects and couldn’t imagine anything beneath them. And I’m normally very averse to any cold.