Middle Fork of the Salmon - Spring Bear Float Trip

Hey all,
I've done some looking around but haven't found information on anyone floating the length of the Middle Fork (Marsh Creek to Cache Bar) during spring for a bear hunt. I would be trying to use an Alpacka Mule and going in on May 15ish. Mainly I'm looking for a "you're crazy, that's way too much water for a packraft, especially with meat in it" or sometime more affirming that it's a good idea, or anything in between. I know there's some big rapids and I could catch some big melt pulses, but it seems I could catch it early enough and it wouldn't be too deathy. There's always the option to portage the rapids, except maybe in Impassable Canyon.

Thoughts? Am I young and dumb or just youthful and ambitious? Thanks!

PNWGATOR

WKR
There is some big water in there and it’s cold…not being silly and all about an adventure. I get it. Doable? Sure…use your head, be wise and make good choices and go kill stuff.

Personally, I’d be hard pressed to use a pack raft for this trip and would choose a larger whitewater boat.

Please post a trip report with lots of pics.

Last edited:

P Carter

WKR
I’ve heard that rafting the middle fork in June is like being flushed down a very cold toilet. I’d imagine late may is much the same.

How much padding experience do you have? What class of rapids have you ran? Do you have river running experience in other types of boats, aside from pack rafts?

I’ve ran the river from 1.5 -to- 7.5 feet on the gauge. Water level makes a significant difference in what to expect.

7mm-08

WKR
Not much word out yet from the pack of guides from different rafting companies that float that section of water as a business. That's because they wait until the third week of May to do their scouting run. I know from the former owner of a reputable rafting company based in Stanley that this year (as always) there are some substantial changes in rapids because of blowouts. You'd better be a hell of an experienced river rat to wade into that task with a pack raft. Good luck with your decision.

Jkr61

FNG
Go to mountain buzz.com for river info. Not looking good for middle fork that early

guy died last year, putting in on marsh creek. Lots of wood in there, there are some vids floating around on facebook in idaho whitewater on current conditions.

Just know it is a whitewater run. if you don't have whitewater expierence, there will be some tough portages.
Do you own a dry suit?

Last edited:
OP
C
Hey all,
I ended up changing my plan away from floating the entire middle fork. I'm still going to head into that general area, but with plans to do something less dangerous.
I think that's 100% a trip I want to do some year, but I think a larger boat and more folks in the group will be the best way to do it safely. Plus that will give me time to get more floating and paddling experience. I appreciate everyone weighing in!