Midway Movie!

Billinsd

WKR
Without having seen the new version, what is so ridiculous about the ship moving too slow? That would have been a legitimate concern in those days to achieve enough lift coming off the flight deck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yes, ship speed would be a concern. It was one variable for take off. Others are wind speed, type of plane and how heavy it was loaded. To "me" it seems impossible that the carrier was going too slow. I mean impossible that it wouldn't be pointed straight into the wind and at full speed, 30 knots, or 25 knots. Furthermore the flight crew would calculate whether or not it was safe for a plane to take off safely after considering all the factors. The carrier going to slow seems the least likely, impossible to me. Then of course, the carrier appeared to be clipping along real fast when the plane was in the water in front of it. If the carrier appeared to be almost idle, I would have been more inclined to believe. "I" personally would have appreciated it, if the wind just changed shifted or reversed unpredictably. That's rare, but vastly more believable to me. I can see, though that for general audiences, carrier going too slow is much more understandable than changing wind, I guess. It's not easy being me. Cheers, Bill

Last edited:

Midwest.Bushlore

Lil-Rokslider
Respectfully, from someone with multiple combat deployments to the middle east, the Greatest Generation is still the standard and the modern warfighter isn't at that level. Especially when it comes to humility and selfless service. Today's generation talks incessantly about their service to get attention, and is more concerned with free meals and discounts. The Greatest Generation did their job, came home, didn't brag about it, and lived their lives. Most of their friends and family had no idea what they did in the war. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I think the circumstances had more to do with it than the actual men and women. WWII was an existential threat to the survival of the US and our allies. Most of the wars since have been adventures undertaken mostly to enrich war profiteers and open markets for US companies. When the survival of civilization as we understand it hangs in the balance you're going to risk more than you would just to inflate the bonuses of oil company executives.

Maybe the younger generation is more cynical, or maybe they just see the man behind the curtain for what he is.

In any event, the sacrifices you and your comrades in arms have made do not go unnoticed. Good government or bad, justifiable wars or pure adventurism, the men and women of the US armed forces are still doing their jobs and doing their duties as best they can. Thank you for that.

amassi

WKR
I think the circumstances had more to do with it than the actual men and women. WWII was an existential threat to the survival of the US and our allies. Most of the wars since have been adventures undertaken mostly to enrich war profiteers and open markets for US companies. When the survival of civilization as we understand it hangs in the balance you're going to risk more than you would just to inflate the bonuses of oil company executives.

Maybe the younger generation is more cynical, or maybe they just see the man behind the curtain for what he is.

In any event, the sacrifices you and your comrades in arms have made do not go unnoticed. Good government or bad, justifiable wars or pure adventurism, the men and women of the US armed forces are still doing their jobs and doing their duties as best they can. Thank you for that.
Agreed 100% on the circumstances
Most of the greatest generation after 1942 was pressed Into service as the services grew and added divisions.
The country was 100% behind the war, rationing in full effect and fresh out of the great depression. People knew the names of the battles and the outcome.
Service members returned to the states and found the most thriving economy and creation of the middle class.

-Not one single draftee served in the gwot.
-Life in the states didnt change 1 bit
-The average american didnt know of the battles or even what country they took place in
-Those who stayed behind messed up the economy and took the good jobs(kidding, sort of)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've always said it this way. The US Military has been at war since 2001, America has been at the mall.