Minimum Gear Requirements

WAKAN

FNG
I second the trekking poles, can get carbon ones from Costco for around $40. Total game changer with a heavy load. Cannot believe I hunted the mountains nearly 30 years before I started using them.
Also for on the cheap try the wrangler outdoor stretch pants for warm early season hunts. I was very impressed, they don't make you clammy when wet, dry quick, and held up well in the brush. Excellent budget wear.

aachey

Lil-Rokslider
Went on my first elk hunt two weeks ago, my wet legs were wishing I bought a pair of gaiters for those damp mornings.

Consider a side hustle to raise some extra cash since you have the time. Get a winter job at a sporting good store, the discounts are extensive if you can get a job with a major retailer. Deliver pizzas. Go to garage sales find well cared for items and then sell them on ebay. It works. Youd be surprised what you can raise doing so.

clint6760

FNG
Great thread as I am also in your shoes being a whitetail hunter planning on heading west next year and don’t want to spend a fortune on gear.
Boots-Salomon quest
Trekking poles-costco
Pack-cost a lot for about all top brands
Pants-wrangler outdoor pants, great for $20
Shelter-mountainsmith shelter LT, less than a $100
Garmin inreach

still need to figure out pad and sleeping bag.

Other than what you’re wearing which you already mentioned.. sleep system, pack system, food/drink “system.” Depending on who you are you could go without a pad, which I’ve done while being cheap but I always have one now. A couple things I don’t share are a stove, and water filtration. I’ve spent trips sharing those things, and it’s always a pain. It simplifies it if you put your gear into basic necessities and make kits and also

KyleR1985

WKR
Just returned from my first elk trip. I’m fortunate to make good money and unfortunate to not have a wife or kids yet to force me to budget it. I refuse to buy gear new that works just as well used though. The classifieds here are an underrated resource. You can spend a few hours researching reviews on the gear you’re needing, make some notes, then sit back and watch the classifieds. I probably spent 40-50% less overall on the ‘mountain specific’ gear I needed (I’m a Sea level hunter).

Some things I learned on my trip:

- know your bow, practice a lot, know your range, range your surroundings immediately upon setting up on elk

- take the advice of folks here telling you to make overnight trips. If you actually focus and pay attention when you do it, you’ll recognize crap you don’t need.

- rain gear is a must. If you can afford it, higher end clothing companies make great clothes that are water resistant and will do fine in popup storms, and dry out quickly. This might allow you to skimp on true rain gear and get something a little heavier or bulkier that stays at camp of the forecast is mostly clear. I was caught in multiple 10-30 minute downpours and my water repellent clothes worked fine. I did carry a rain jacket the whole time and used it to cover my pack during the storms.

- trekking poles - you’ll feel dumb and extra granola carrying them around all week. We didn’t kill, so I didn’t get to field test their usefulness. But, in my training I used them with a 70lb pack in steep terrain and they are a necessity if you’ll be hitting steep terrain.

- shelter - we had a cabin to stay in. It sucked. We sapped about 2 hours a day off of our sleep and hunts going back and forth instead of spike camping. I brought my gear but my crew was steadfast in wanting to pack out each day. I won’t do it next year. I’d look into the classifieds for a tipi or tarp setup that uses your trekking poles. You may be able to skip shelter if one of your crew has a two man. This will also give you a chance to review someone else’s gear. And save you both weight packing in.

- food - we hunted five full days. Hiking hard does not make me hungry. It makes me want to puke. Knowing I have granola and nuts and dry foods got old after about one day. I only ate about half the food I brought each day. That would catch up to you on a 7+ day trip, as you wouldn’t be recovering fully. I made deer jerky ahead of trip, froze it, and put in ziplocks for each day. That was a highlight on food. Pringles small cans are a nice morale booster that won’t get crushed in your pack. I could’ve brought sandwiches each day as it was cool enough, but didn’t know till after. Banana chips were a hit too. If you’re gritty, you’ll deal with the food sucking. My experience tells me to bring plenty of food to camp, and bring half of what I think I’d eat for the day on each day hunt. It would’ve saved a pound in my pack.

- water - I think most of the hunger folks feel might actually be thirst. I borderline overhydrate when I hunt. I have found I stay more focused, and more willing to keep going, even back east. We averaged about 7-8 miles a day on the trip, and I drank 3-4 liters of water each day in 40-60* weather. I also camel’d up every morning before heading out. Get a good filtering system, or prepare to carry the weight. Hopefully your camp site will be near water so you can filter for each day.

- communicate - each day we switched hunting partners. Each day I made my partner dump his pack and we found unnecessary redundancies. One kill kit, one first aid kit, one backup flashlight, etc. this saved pounds each day and they matter.

- beeswax type chapstick. Nuff said

- lightweight shovel - bury your crap and paper. Hate when people leave theirs exposed, really annoying.

Bring more than you think you need to truck, then to camp, then reverse on day hikes to bringing only what you need.

My gear list day five was: pack, bow, headlamp, backup light, kill kit, first aid, bino’s, calls, rangefinder, bag of food, water, trekking poles, chapstick, shovel/biodegradable wipes, charging brick, rain jacket.

KyleR1985

WKR
I'm going to disagree with everyone who says optics for an archery elk hunt. A basic set of 8x binos will be fine. Spotting Scope not needed.

Other pieces of gear that are much more important.

Agree. If you’re not rifle hunting, and you’re not picky on size of bull you’re willing to shoot, you don’t need more than bino’s.

I had multiple spots I was able to glass, and picked up elk between .5-1mile away with 12x50’s. My buddy had 8’s and did just as well. My bino’s never came off my chest during an actual stalk though for 5 days, only when I was dedicated to glassing. I honestly think the area we hunt I could leave them at camp if I won’t be setting up to glass.

A spotting scope would’ve been a crappy carry and expense. Glad I resisted. I’m sure there’s scenarios where it is useful. But we didn’t miss it at all on our trip

Bulldawg

WKR
So OP if you’re reading all these, sounds like you need to spend good money on every piece of gear, except maybe a compass?

There isn’t anything out there that you need to upgrade. Guess you need a tent and sleeping bag you can pack in a bit. “Good” boots are necessary, would you venture to guess how many elk are killed by guys wearing Danner Pronghorns? And good packs are necessary, more elk are probably killed by guys wearing camo versions of a jansport school bag than anything else. Good gear is awesome and fun to use and make things easier, but it’s a progression. Just gotta get tough. And heck you might not even like elk hunting, it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
Before my first trip I studied lots of different gear list I found online. Printed a few off and checked off all the things I already had like clothes, boots lights, knife, etc. and then gathered the minimum things I needed to complete a workable gear list and went knowing the first trip would show me what I really needed. First trip I hunted in Irish Setter snake boots. T

If you think you are going to go to the mountains and hunt hard with guys that are experienced in that type of hunting, imo, the 2 things that will break down first are your body and your mind. The most expensive gear wont keep you hunting it will just make things more comfortable and or functional.

OP
B
Thank you all for all the replies. I am learning a ton and really appreciate it. The crew I am going with definitely go hard and have done this for a while, so I want to be prepared to keep up. 8-10 miles a day easy, so I joined the gym and am working at cutting a few pounds from me as well. Ha! In the midst of all the thought of gear, I can’t forget I still need to make a shot, so practicing with my bow is definitely a high priority. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Another no to spotting scope. I wouldn't bring it on an archery trip even if I owned it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Agree. If you’re not rifle hunting, and you’re not picky on size of bull you’re willing to shoot, you don’t need more than bino’s.

It's pretty easy to tell what size of bull you're working with how he responds in the encounter. No need for binos for that. I leave mine in the truck probably 50-70% of the time for archery elk.

KyleR1985

WKR
It's pretty easy to tell what size of bull you're working with how he responds in the encounter. No need for binos for that. I leave mine in the truck probably 50-70% of the time for archery elk.

I think I can agree. Most folks new to the game won't be able to notice that nuance though. I know I wouldn't have been able to had I not been fortunate and had a day with multiple encounters with bulls of all sizes who had not been called to yet. It shortened my learning curve significantly. If I took out the few hours of glassing i did, they did not come off my chest a single time. And I knew I would be glassing ahead of time. This is good advice - I doubt I'll carry mine most hunts next season.

Mike7

WKR
Good rain gear, good gaiters are two things in addition to boots and pack that I'd prioritize. Maybe even over the pack after this year.

We only got 3-4 days of rain this year, and only passing storms but it would soak everything pretty good, and after walking through mid-thigh height grass and brush chasing elk, my old rain pants failed in about 20 minutes so I just took them off. Pants would get soaked, water would run down pants into my boots to the point I could pour water out of them when I took them off. Waterproof boots, and knee high OR gore-tex gaiters didn't do a damn thing. My feet were wrecked after chasing elk for 4 days like that - 10+ mile days with soaking wet feet isn't fun. Screw blisters, one of them was outright bleeding by the end of the trip.

Lightweight jacket wasn't as bad, but had water wicking through from pack straps so switched to a my heavier 3-layer gore-tex jacket.

Not making that mistake again, used a 20% off coupon on a set of Kuiu Yukon pants as soon as I got home.

I sometimes bring a thin pair of rain pants to put on if sitting in wet weather, but rarely wear them, even though I hunt/hike in cold wet country. This would be the last thing that I spend money on.

Thick, durable rain pants are hot and heavy to hike in, and usually expensive. Thin breathable ones will get shredded by brush.

Wear your gaiters (I prefer OR gaiters personally) over your socks, but under your quick drying and tough breathable regular hunting pants. With good waxed leather boots, your feet will be dry through days of constant rain in this fashion with the only thing getting wet being the thighs of your quick drying hunting pants.

I come out from Wisconsin every year to hunt so I started in the same boat. Your boots will be fine, Leukotape works wonders for hot spots and is a lot cheaper than a new pair of boots. Hunted 2 years in Keen work boots and had no issues. I still run my Marmot Limelight tent for backpacking, its 6 lbs but I had it already. My brother and I share a tent and a stove so if guys you go with could do the same you're good to go. Synthetic base layers, good socks, and a good pack are my top 3. Trekking poles are also really nice if you're packing meat and you can find cheap cosco ones but aren't a necessity. Cheap pvc rain gear will keep you dry otherwise cabelas space rain or watch the classifieds. PM me if you have any questions.

jog

FNG
[QUOTE="BrotherBrown, post: 1358953, member: 34954"

I have been reading lots of threads on here about high dollar gear and how you have to have xyz to be successful. With four kids at home, dropping $$$ on gear just isn’t in the cards.
[/QUOTE]

You can be very frugal and creative about gear on a budget and have stuff that in the end is just about as good as any latest greatest gear.

Pants: look at Arborwear tech II pants. About 80.00 but they are bombproof and offer some nice features if you like pockets. I cut off the velcro tabs to narrow them down in the pockets.

Shirts and top layers: in my area thrift stores (in summer) will have some very nice high end merino wool sweaters hanging on the racks. I pick up thin and medium weight ones with zip necks for about 5 dollars each. This are 100.00 garment retail at least and mimic any high dollar wool hunting top in every way.

Longjohns: I have used both high end wool and cheap polypropaline. I actually prefer the cheap poly ones especially when its raining/wet. 15-20 dollars. You can also get a poly top for cheap just be aware that they retain a lot of odor if you let them get a running start. I pre-treat the armpits with a unscented deodorant.

Boots: spend as much as you can afford but don't think you HAVE to spend a lot. Do your research and get the most for your dollar. There are trade offs but don't let that discourage you into thinking you can't have a perfectly satisfactory experience wearing less expensive foot wear. Just make sure they fit!

Packs: buy used and save a ton. There are some back packs that are not "hunting" specific that offer amazing performance for a lot less money even retail. Just spray them with camp paint to mimic what the expensive hunting packs offer as far as concealment.

Etc.

I hunt with gear that is based on the above method in conditions from 80* sunny to -20* snow and wind. Rain, sleet, frosty morning or cold nights and everything in between and never wished for a 200.00 pair of pants, a 175 dollar thin hoodie, 250 dollar puffy, 500 dollar pack, 400 dollar sleeping bag or 175 dollar sleeping pad.
You do not need to spend that much but you do need to mimic what expensive gear offers.

Whatever you choose it needs to perform.

Hope this helps.

Sturgeon

WKR
Once you get that Kifaru bag throw some weight in it (40 pounds or so) and try out the boots you have on a hike. You will know pretty quick if you need a different set.

I elk hunted 14 days last year and wore rain pants one day, Check the weather before hiking in and packing them. I wouldn't prioritize money here. You can also get the Wrangler tech hiking pants(not waterproof) for about $22 at any Walmart https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/wrangler-hiking-pants.76830/ If you already have poly baselayers, a fleece, and a puffy coat that will cover a big range of temps

I think you can find new 20-30 degree bags for around $100(watch the weight though)https://www.sierra.com/marmot-30-f-...f/?filterString=sleeping-bags-and-pads~d~208/ and a good inflatable sleeping pad like Klymit for $40 https://www.sierra.com/klymit-static-v-recon-sleeping-pad-inflatable~p~672jr/?filterString=sleeping-bags-and-pads~d~208/. Check Sierra trading post or the classifieds here or the other discount camping gear websites.

Stuff like tents, stove, water filter, game bags, you may be able to get away with sharing with your buddies.

Also these Coast Headlamps are pretty awesome. They are 2 for $30 right now but I've even seen them a little cheaper at times. https://www.amazon.com/Coast-Tri-Co...eadlamp&qid=1569941255&s=baby-products&sr=8-5

Last edited: