Minor Limb Damage?

Fowl Play

WKR
Got an email out to Hoyt, but figured I'd post here as well while I wait. Found a small chip/crack on the limb of my Hoyt Helix today while shooting it. It was hiding under the arrows on my quiver so honestly not sure how long its been there. Took it in to my local Hoyt Dealer (where I bought it 3 years ago) and he kept talking about how these limbs are "bomb proof", this is a superficial "blemish", and I should just keep shooting it as is and monitor it. He said he's seen way worse and I shouldn't worry about it. Not sure how I feel about that, looks like cracked fiberglass to me -- Although it's probably only .020" wide. It's $360 including labor to replace the limbs... might just do it for the peace of mind. Am I being too conservative here? Is this really not worth worrying about? I told the guy if any concern at all I'd rather just fix it so I don't have to worry about having to retune a new setup in a month or two. He told me to take it home... (Also I'm not saying this is a manufacturing issue. I've hunted hard with it for a couple years so who knows when it happened...)

image1.jpegimage0.jpeg

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same thing going on with a limb on a Hoyt ventum, little less damage than yours though. Took it to the shop and they told me almost exactly the same thing. This happened last week.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's $360 including labor to replace the limbs... might just do it for the peace of mind.
I'd do a search for limbs on AT or Ebay etc and replace it yourself. Or just buy some as backups and keep shooting yours.

My PSE has had one splintered limb since 2020 and I shot a moose and a ram that year with it. Then shot two bulls since then with it.........with two splinters on one limb. PSE stopped making limbs for my 2014 Freak, so this year I picked up a new to me Mathews Traverse and my PSE will be my backup. It still shoots great, I just don't trust it now with two splinters.

OP
Fowl Play

Fowl Play

WKR
Well that was fast... started this thread for something to do while I waited for what I thought would be a week or two for an answer. Hoyt got back to me in 15min...

"Thank you for contacting Hoyt. If your local Hoyt dealer has inspected the limb and verified that it is ok to shoot you should be good to go. I would monitor the limb to make sure the crack doesn't get larger as they mentioned to you. "

87TT

WKR
I derailed my Helix (long story) a while back and the limb twisted and popped out a small splinter. they told me I had to replace the limbs so I did. That looks like a ding from hitting something.. The guys at the shop are probably right. Maybe find another shop and get a second opinion. Mine was a long splinter off the edge. I bought new limbs and replaced them myself to be safe. I have the old limbs and only one has the splinter. They are probably fine as I have had slight delaminating splinters before and no problems on a different Hoyt bow. I could possibly be talked out of a single limb. Mine are 70 lb.

OP
Fowl Play

Fowl Play

WKR
There is no such thing as "minor" limb damage on a compound bow. It's either damaged or its not, and if it is, it needs to be replaced.
This was my understanding as well. Which is why it felt super weird to have the dealer tell me to not give him money and keep shooting it...

wapitibob

WKR
Common issue with Hoyt limbs because they don't put a big enough radius on the edges of their limbs. Take a razor blade and cut off the sliver, feathering it, then use some sandpaper and radius the edge. Put some super glue on the area and let it harden. Not the best place for a chip but certainly not the worst.

SDHNTR

WKR
This was my understanding as well. Which is why it felt super weird to have the dealer tell me to not give him money and keep shooting it...
Do you want that doubt in the back of your mind?

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
Common issue with Hoyt limbs because they don't put a big enough radius on the edges of their limbs. Take a razor blade and cut off the sliver, feathering it, then use some sandpaper and radius the edge. Put some super glue on the area and let it harden. Not the best place for a chip but certainly not the worst.
This^^^. I’ve seen a lot of these over the years. Some a lot worse than others. Something I have NOT seen is a limb failure due to this issue. Cut it. Sand it. And glue it. Then go shoot.

OP
Fowl Play

Fowl Play

WKR
Just to follow up. I replied to Hoyt customer service again with a bunch of pictures. They again replied 15 min later saying it’s fine, but if it was affecting the confidence in my setup I can buy another set of limbs. So… I’ll do the repair listed above and watch it for the next month or so while I practice every day.

Ive had the hoyt splinters before on a nitrum but that looks a lot worse. I would replace personally just for peace of mind but then again I'm used to shooting bowtechs haha and they don't have the greatest durability. If you ever get rid of it no one will probably touch it in that shape anyways so I would replace. Maybe try and find some used first before you drop coin on a new pair

WMag338

WKR
I couldn't bear the thought of being out of state on a hunt or being at full draw thinking about that. I'd have to fix it.

87TT

WKR
The question to ask id, has anyone seen a Hoyt limb fail? I have no personal knowledge of any. Their limbs and bows are pretty tough. I have had dryfires with mine in the past including the Helix with no issues. I have trimmed and sanded edge splinters on others with no issues. I was letting down my Helix with an arrow nocked after it had slipped past the draw stop once and had a friend put a little pressure on the cam to clear the draw stop from the cable and the bow derailed. the cam was bent and broke and the limbs twisted knocking out a splinter on the edge that was a little larger than I had had before. I took it to a dealer and they said it was too large and to replace the limbs which I did along with the bent and broken cam. I now have black limbs on my Optifade bow but oh well. And the old limbs which three are still fine and the one with the splinter probably is too.`

Beendare

WKR
Yep, been there done👆🏼 that

SDHNTR

WKR
The question to ask id, has anyone seen a Hoyt limb fail? I have no personal knowledge of any. Their limbs and bows are pretty tough. I have had dryfires with mine in the past including the Helix with no issues. I have trimmed and sanded edge splinters on others with no issues. I was letting down my Helix with an arrow nocked after it had slipped past the draw stop once and had a friend put a little pressure on the cam to clear the draw stop from the cable and the bow derailed. the cam was bent and broke and the limbs twisted knocking out a splinter on the edge that was a little larger than I had had before. I took it to a dealer and they said it was too large and to replace the limbs which I did along with the bent and broken cam. I now have black limbs on my Optifade bow but oh well. And the old limbs which three are still fine and the one with the splinter probably is too.`
Yes, Ibe seen 2 Hoyt limb failures, both at 3d shoots. Of course I’ve also seen Mathews and Bowtechs crack too. Used to see a lot of Bowtech failures 15-20 years ago and unfortunately they still carry that rep, but in the last 5-10 years I’d say they are no worse or potentially better than any other limbs.

87TT

WKR
Not to hijack too much but can you describe how and what happened on them?

MattB

WKR
I have had that happen to a couple of Hoyt limbs over the years. wapitibob’s advice is spot on in terms of how I addressed it. Fix it and forget it.

Last edited: