Replacing Limbs

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I have a Triax that I bought new. A few years ago it started “creaking” in the top limb pocket. I finally got a shop tech to look at it. He called Mathews and they told him to check the cam and see if either of the top limbs had any play. Well, one bearing feels “gritty” when you spin it and one limb has play. They are sending a new set of limbs but not a new cam. They said to try that first. I‘m concerned about having 6 year old limbs paired with brand new ones. Should I be? Also, since the tech told the guy at Mathews about the cam, shouldn’t they just go ahead and replace it too? The lifetime warranty is a selling point but not if they are going to be stingy with it.
Thanks,
Ryan

I wouldn't be worried about the limbs at all. I don't exactly know what is meant by "play" tho. Axle hole wobbled out? Haven't see that.

I'd just ask the tech directly what he thinks about the cam. If he thinks it should be replaced, he should be telling Mathews that and I wouldn't expect him to really be getting much push back honestly.

WMag338

WKR
I've had several mathews bows need axle bearings. More recently, i had the AVS bearings sound like there was gravel in them. Mathews will typically warranty this if. They didn't in my case at my dealer because I purchased the bow used and not through them. I ended up replacing both cams. At my home shop, i replaced both axles in about 30 mins.

I've had lots of bows need a light coat of grease in the limb pockets. They can get dried out over time and when a little dirt dust gets in there they can get noisy.

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't be worried about the limbs at all. I don't exactly know what is meant by "play" tho. Axle hole wobbled out? Haven't see that.

I'd just ask the tech directly what he thinks about the cam. If he thinks it should be replaced, he should be telling Mathews that and I wouldn't expect him to really be getting much push back honestly.
The guy at Mathews told the tech to look for “play”. The tech didn’t really know what he meant either. He took the cam off and took the bow out of the press and one limb had play when he moved in a motion like he was trying to pull it straight out of the pocket. Like pulling it out and pushing back in. There was a noticeable difference in the amount one would move compared to the other.

The tech agreed with me that the cam should be replaced too but Mathews wants him to try new limbs first. Them not wanting to replace all four limbs doesn’t bother me. Them not wanting to replace a cam with a bad bearing does!

The guy at Mathews told the tech to look for “play”. The tech didn’t really know what he meant either. He took the cam off and took the bow out of the press and one limb had play when he moved in a motion like he was trying to pull it straight out of the pocket. Like pulling it out and pushing back in. There was a noticeable difference in the amount one would move compared to the other.

The tech agreed with me that the cam should be replaced too but Mathews wants him to try new limbs first. Them not wanting to replace all four limbs doesn’t bother me. Them not wanting to replace a cam with a bad bearing does!

If he pushes it with them, I feel pretty certain they will send a whole new cam.

I'm not aware of much push back at all on bearings, tho most are user error. Over tightening the axles blows the bearings, however doesn't cause a gritty bearing and not your problem.

Just saying, make sure going forward they don't get overtightened. I snug, then go about 1/8 turn back out. Snug being only probably 6 inch pounds, nothing like a scope ring.

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
I've had several mathews bows need axle bearings. More recently, i had the AVS bearings sound like there was gravel in them. Mathews will typically warranty this if. They didn't in my case at my dealer because I purchased the bow used and not through them. I ended up replacing both cams. At my home shop, i replaced both axles in about 30 mins.

I've had lots of bows need a light coat of grease in the limb pockets. They can get dried out over time and when a little dirt dust gets in there they can get noisy.
The tech told me not to tell Mathews that I had greased the limb pockets because they wouldn’t cover it under warranty.