Missed a big one. Hard to swallow.

macdaddy

FNG
This has happened to me also. To this day I still don’t know how I messed up. The next week I arrowed a big double drop tine buck. Every time I look at him on my wall I am reminded of my ‘f up and subsequent success. Just chalk it up to hunting and keep at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axlrod

WKR
It's what makes getting a good one so rewarding. Hunting is hard, and there is no script. You won't ever forget and that will make you better.

"If there was nothing wrong
Then there'd be nothing right "
-a line in a song by Shinedown

kiddogy

WKR
I shot a doe antelope in the throat today. it was hard for her to swallow also.

OP
willfrye027
Honing you skills on a 3D course sure helps with NOT missing....

Yeah I wish I had made that happen in pre season. This was my first trad miss, and the “easiest” shot of the 5 deer I’ve killed with my recurve. Can’t take anything for granted with archery!

This was my first trad miss, and the “easiest” shot of the 5 deer I’ve killed with my recurve.

And there's your answer, hidden in the statement. I believe we tend to shoot our very best when we're more relaxed and confident. When presented with a shot that we simply MUST make...."the biggest buck I've had a chance at"....mental and physical reactions can make it a lot harder to be accurate. Think about heart rate, intensity, desire, concerns (whether recognized or not) muscle tremors, etc. The casually feeding skipper buck at 20 yards can be a lot easier to make an accurate shot on than the big-bodied mature buck at 10 yards standing there listening for the slightest sound.

Easier shot? Yes....until you add in all the variables of being human.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah I wish I had made that happen in pre season. This was my first trad miss, and the “easiest” shot of the 5 deer I’ve killed with my recurve. Can’t take anything for granted with archery!

You got that right!

One thing I notice was happening to me at the Maya 3d tourney last weekend; I dropped a couple targets on layup second shots.

I was losing a little bit of form when really trying to hit the spot. I have no doubt this same mechanism is the same on a hunting shot. Of course you have the metabolic distractions Kevin mentioned...but then add that mentally you put a lot of pressure on that one shot.

I started shooting better when I focused on holding form and shooting a good arrow...if that makes sense.

I tend to use this analogy...

Lay a 12' 2x6 across 2 concrete blocks, one at each end of the 2x6. Walk the length of the board. Now put the 2x6 across 2 sawhorses and do it. Finally, do it between 2 ladders at 10' high.

The more you have riding on the outcome, the greater the chance you'll struggle or blow it due to anxiety, overreaction, fear of failure, mental distraction, doubts and self-imposed pressure to succeed. What's just as interesting are the numbers of guys who deny doing or feeling any of that stuff. "I was just cool as a cucumber. Totally focused. Already had him tagged in my mind. Taxidermist on speed dial......"

I tend to use this analogy...

Lay a 12' 2x6 across 2 concrete blocks, one at each end of the 2x6. Walk the length of the board. Now put the 2x6 across 2 sawhorses and do it. Finally, do it between 2 ladders at 10' high.

Hell I know the outcome there, it breaks when I'm in the middle. Don't matter how far I am off the ground, still going to hurt.

16Bore

WKR
“The question for next year is do I buy a work of art from South Cox, or do I buy a fancy new compound shooting lasers of death at 300fps? We will see..”

You missed, it wasn’t the bow.

Beendare

WKR
Well one thing I doknow....

the more you practice those real world hunt scenarios.... the better you get.

funny how that^ works,eh? Grin

Vernon

FNG
been there many times myself. I've also watched monster critters at 100 yards wishing I had a gun:) Once you take the training wheels off your bow things get difficult. When I shoot a doe at 15 yards that is more of a trophy "to me" than a guy with compound shooting a monster buck at 80 yards. To each their own! I know quite a few successful trad hunters but my friends call my bow the "vegetarian bow"

OP
willfrye027
been there many times myself. I've also watched monster critters at 100 yards wishing I had a gun:) Once you take the training wheels off your bow things get difficult. When I shoot a doe at 15 yards that is more of a trophy "to me" than a guy with compound shooting a monster buck at 80 yards. To each their own! I know quite a few successful trad hunters but my friends call my bow the "vegetarian bow"

Couldn’t agree more. I did end up getting a compound for this year. I’m moving back out west and won’t have the same abundant whitetail opportunity. I still love my recurve and will shoot it a lot, but probably gonna grab the compound for muley hunts. At least for now while I have the itch to trophy hunt.