Missed elk shot, go back or elsewhere?

This is my first year chasing elk and hunted opening rifle day yesterday Idaho unit 4 at the most promising spot scouted earlier. I got my father in law onto a spike first thing but he missed the shot. Is this spot blown?There is more sign in this area than anywhere else we covered the rest of the day and didn't see anyone else in there. The spike had two cows with him but tracks and scat looked like a bigger herd passes through the area with multiple rubs as well.

Some even refuse to hunt where others had killed the day before and from my observations it doesn't seem to bother the elk. Have shot an elk one morning and come back the next morning and my dad got another in the same spot. This was muzzleloader however.

Longstride12

Lil-Rokslider
I shot my cow this year (muzzleloader) in the same area where some friends said they had chased the elk out of. Go back for sure. Elk have areas they like and will visit/stay until they migrate out of the area or are chased out.

2rocky

WKR
Twice, we have killed a bull within view of the carcass of a bull we killed the day before. Once in archery, and this year in rifle.

Seems like big groups of elk have a circuit they travel and once you figure out the general route you just check spots along that broad circle.

Consistent pressure will push them out but one time shouldn't blow it.

Vids

WKR
I'd go back. In 2012 I killed a bull while he was standing 20 feet from the carcass of my buddies bull that we had quartered up a day and a half earlier.

Scot E

Lil-Rokslider
You are much more likely to blow them out if they smell you then if they hear gun shots. Go Back in there! ESPECIALLY if nobody else is there. If nothing else they or other elk may get pushed back in there from other areas.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If good sign and no peeps no worries going back as one gun shot will not send them out of the state and others may move in overnight.

OP
E
Thanks for all the answers! I got back in there yesterday. Didn't get a visual but may have spooked some in the thick timber. Too much undergrowth to go in without busting every branch. Did see deer both days in there still at least, need to fill that tag also. The roads all around the place were crawling with razors and atvs and pickups with beds full of hunters but only saw one lady hunting grouse actually come in the access road there. I can at least hope they'll push them back to me.